IGNORED

2ND Gen Brakes

Tom

Haven't used those.

Got a deal on a set of rear pads for my 2nd gen a while back.

The guy had some old dusty EBCs on a shelf in the back. They were listed for the front of !st gen, so I guess, he thought he would never sell them. Haven't seen hardly any 1st gens around here in quite a while.

I guess he didn't know they would fit the rear of my bike. I think he charged me about about 8 bucks.

I like the EBCs. They seem top hold up pretty well. Any sugestions out there for anything considered better all around? I hardly ever do any two ups anymore, since my wife got the VStar 650. I rarely pull my trailer.

Tom,

I agree totally on EBC HH pads, but on the front only. They are really TOO GOOD of a pad for the rear 4-piston caliper. The last thing you want on a RSV or RSTD is a rear brake caliper that has a better bite. My advice on the rear caliper is the stock pads from Yamaha.

JMHO,

Rick

• 11 months later...

I just got a 2000 Venture last Fall and the front brake pulsates. I am assuming the front rotor is out of round. Darn. I didn't want to have to buy a new rotor. My '97 Royal Star rotors are still fine and I never had to replace the rotors on any of my bikes. Can't imagine that it is any thing else causing the pulsating, but ...

Anyone have any input on this?

Do you get some screaching and pulsating only at almost stopped speeds??

I'm still running original front pads at just over 50k miles, but i've had to fix the squeal every year. The back of the pads get dry and vibrate against the pistons and mounts. I just clean them up and put some grease on the mounting sides of the pads, and sounds quiet for most of the summer.

Just a thought, Scooter Bob

All in all, you can't beat EBC HH in overall, Performance, Wear, wear of the Rotor and Price.

I'm definitely with Lutz on this one, I have tried several different pads and the EBC HH sintered ones perform the best in my opinion.

I ran the Carbone Lorraine pads already and I wasnt impressed. I went back to the EBC HH pads front and rear and im happy with them. Nothing against the C/L pads, especially the price, just felt the EBC stops better.

I just got a 2000 Venture last Fall and the front brake pulsates. I am assuming the front rotor is out of round. Darn. I didn't want to have to buy a new rotor. My '97 Royal Star rotors are still fine and I never had to replace the rotors on any of my bikes. Can't imagine that it is any thing else causing the pulsating, but ...

Anyone have any input on this?

The pulsating can be caused by putting the rotors back on wrong. Remove the wheel and then remove one of the rotors. Rotate it one or 2 bolts and then retighten it. BUT the trick is to re torque it in 3 steps. That's how I fixed mine. I got lucky and it was the side I tried first.