IGNORED

Man I LOVE our members map Don,,, got an idea,, will probably sound NUTS but..

cowpuc

but,, you know me,, crazyness is my line of work.. Here goes..

While playing around with this AWESOME Members Map that you worked so hard to provide (THANKS BOSS), I noticed that by switching over to Satellite Mode - I could place my marker in a VERY specific location.. I placed mine in a location where I deem as OPEN CAMP on my propery for any of our members who may happen to be in need of a quick spot - day or night - to pull in and drop a tent.. Now,, if I happen to be out of town and get someone inquiring about this, all I have to do is tell them to click on that map and BINGO - instant camping spot with perfect directions to it!!

In the process of doing this, it dawned on me,, what if we had a map like this,, or used the map we already have (could use certain color markers to do this) and opened it up to place markers at locations all across the country where we tenters have "open camped" successfully and LEGALLY (lots and lots of locations on public lands that allow this)... I personally have many many spots across the country (TONS IN NORTHERN MICHIGAN) that are my favorites that I have stayed at for years that I would LOVE to post up!! Some on state lands, some on Federal...

Hmmmm,,, now that I am getting thru the initial rush of adrenalin associated with the thought of how nice this would be for crazy people like me,,, it occurred to me.. This would probably be wayyyy more work than its worth,, could create a legal nightmare and lots of other negative side effects,,, its HARD being sanguine in a non-sanguine world.... Hmmmmmmm,,, what the heck,, in the spirit of :stirthepot: and cause I have gotten use to people saying "that Puc REALLY is crazy",,, think I will go ahead and post this up anyway.... :rotf:

Your thought process is very interesting on this. Yes, it would be neat to see some "open camping" spots, but I also agree that it may have some legal concerns. Just because you never got nailed for being in a prohibited place does not mean it is an "open camping" area.:detective:

With some of the camping threads that I have read lately and me getting the Time Out camper, I am getting anxious to put together some camping plans. I am planning on doing some winter projects on the bike that will help in pulling the camper, such as brake upgrades, and I may even drag it around behind the car on ocassion. :whistling:

I may even suggest some M&E&Camping times so if anyone wants to camp together for a day or so, we could do it.

RandyA

Yes, it would be neat to see some "open camping" spots, but I also agree that it may have some legal concerns. Just because you never got nailed for being in a prohibited place does not mean it is an "open camping" area.:detective:

RandyA

Brother,, AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!! I KNOW it would be impossible BUT,, its still fun to dream!!!

Even if it were all about area's that are clearly,, LEGALLY OPEN CAMP.. As an example,, Michigan State/Federal Lands are legally OPEN CAMP and there are an endless array of gorgeous touring bike accessible spots.. We Deer Hunters have for years used this option while hunting on State Land.. Just pull in with a trailer, stay for free up to 2 weeks (gotta move the trailer a few feet after that), camp and hunt.. Did that for years but also spent many many nights camping along Michigans Cross Country Cycle Trail (1500 miles of single track) on my dirtbikes and a TON of it on my Ventures too.. I know that LOTS of States offer this legally... Utah, Idaho, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, AZ, Nevada, Maine, Hew Hampshire, Pennsylvania are some others that come quickly to mind...

Just thinking how cool it would be to have access to directions to all the primo hidden little secret camp spots that we collectively know of... :lightbulb: Cant win em all,,, but you can try:stickinouttounge:

This got me to thinking......I have some acres in TN that are near some of the magnificent roads that everyone loves. This location is in the middle of The Southern Dozen. http://www.southerndozen.com I could offer a camping spot there for our members in the event they might want to ride for multiple days there. Is that what you were thinking?

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This got me to thinking......I have some acres in TN that are near some of the magnificent roads that everyone loves. This location is in the middle of The Southern Dozen. www.southerndozen.com I could offer a camping spot there for our members in the event they might want to ride for multiple days there. Is that what you were thinking?

Indeed Dave,, thats exactly the kind of stuff I am talking about... It would be really cool to have our own little map of spots where we could, at anytime - day or night - pull in, drop a tent, snooze and continue on,,, no worry of intruding or interrupting someones life.. Along with private stuff like your property or mine here in Michigan being available though,, if we somehow could incorporate public stuff,,, those special spots that have accumulated over years of touring...

Little forgotten secrets would maybe come back to life.. For instants,,, last year Tip and I are on Tweeks headed up to the VentureWest Rally in Oregon.. We got messing around viewing Mt. Shasta, ended up with a late ride into Klamath Falls Oregon.. Pulled into an out of the way gas station,, filled up the bike - eating a snack out front and got yakkin with the Oregonese Station attendant.. Out there, its illegal to pump your own gas - pretty cool really cause real live gas station attendants can serve as human maps and tourest info = quality yapping.. I asked if he cared if we camped on the ridge behind the station - not a problem was his reply,, he liked bikes and even offered his back yard to us.. Along with that offer came some VERY interesting Oregon info...

He says - wanna hear a little known secret,,, told us that every district in Oregon has to have a public camping area at no charge.. He directed us to one.. We pulled into this spot overlooking a gorgeous lake at 1 a.m... Had bathrooms, picnic tables, grills and a super view of Mt. Shasta in the background.. The same guy that told us about that was telling us about allllllllll the logging areas in Oregon being open to doing the same (he was,, "intrigued" by our "style" (his words) of motorcycling and was VERY eager to tell us allllllllll about Oregon), as well as federal and state lands,,, much like Michigan..

20140618_101721.jpg

Edited by cowpuc

Don't you just love having Puc around on the forum ??? Now if we could only get his twin brother Si from Louisiana to join....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95259[/ATTACH]:backinmyday:

:cool10:

YIPPEE KI YAY,, ya found em Kic!!! And look at em go,,, still tellin them youngens "get outa da way an let me show ya how this contraption is spose to work"....

His tent-n-bag must a fallen off though cause me n Si,, we NEVER did go no where with out em!! Gotta admit though Kic,,, we ALWAYS had a way with the ladies and we DO know how da raise them youngens..:cool10::backinmyday:

DSCN9413.JPG

DSCN9297.JPG

DSCN8276.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

I'm ignoring you people. By the way, you may notice on the map that some peoples markers are a different color. For the most part, it indicates if they are online right now. The ones that are green are presently online.

While you are ignoring us out here in Venture Land, :shock3: what about the possibility of being able to change the color of the location marker to a 3rd color that would indicate a member willing to house/lodge a traveling member while on a trip ? If I was going somewhere on a certain route, I could look at the member's map and see (let's say) "RED" markers showing a potential night stop or somebody willing to "house" a member for the night or a quick repair while on a trip.

Just a thought. :confused24:

You may now return to your previously scheduled ignoring programming...:stirthepot:

P.S. I don't have a place for a tent, but I have several comfy rooms with cable TV :cool10: ( and a pool for summer cool offs)

P.S.S. And I make great ice tea in case CowPuc Robertson drops by...

Edited by KIC

I'm ignoring you people. By the way, you may notice on the map that some peoples markers are a different color. For the most part, it indicates if they are online right now. The ones that are green are presently online.

I turn up orange when looking at my location while online. :whistling:

Edited by rougeray
Left out word

Sooo,,, not trying to :stirthepot: here or nutting but,, gotta ask.... I havent been around people who switch from Yam's to Harley a lot but isn't it a bit unusual for someone to buy a new Harley and than start ignoring people who ride Yamaha's? I am :scratchchin::think: trying to see any other reason why we should be ignored:confused24:.... I mean,, lets face it folks,, a more loveable, honest, kind, gentle, tenderhearted, understanding, intelligent, soft spoken, non-:stirthepot: but willing to share our ideas group of people there has never been...

Thanks for putting up with us Boss:rotf:

Truthfully,,, I was wondering about those different colored pointers,,,, I thought maybe you were just trying to add some color into our boring white-snow covered lives!!!:detective:

Edited by cowpuc