IGNORED

Butler vs Pillow-top

pbjman

So I have a 99 RSV with stock seats. Seems comfy enough to me so far, but maybe I just don't know better because I haven't tried a different seat on my Venture. So between the upgraded pillow-top seats which came on later models, or seats same as mine but with the Butler mod, any thoughts on which is generally better for all day rides? Which way would my bum get more bang for my bucks?

(Or is everyone going to say 'Both'?)

Hmmm,, no idea PB,, I do know if you take the seat off a 2nd Gen and put it on a 1st Gen you will have a faster bike:rotf::stirthepot:

Dont get to upset with me my friend,,, better to hear it from a fellow Michigander than than one of those smart alect jokers from down south of us.... :bluesbrother:

By the way,, I LOVE your quote!! Is that something you came up with?

Hey Puc if I want a faster bike via that kind of transplant I'll just put this under my RSV seat;

It's a '79 XS11 special with all the touring goodies including heel-toe shift, Markland floorboards, kind of a precurser to the first 'Venturer' but doesn't have the big gas tank.

I hear they might be quicker than the 1st gens?:stickinouttounge:

(but I'll have to finish the work on it and get it running first)

Ya that's my own saying; and a good example is the XS11 special. MY plan was to work on it and have it on the road by now, but this spring and summer some family stuff and too much work (not complaining!) changed that plan!

xs11.jpg

Hey Puc if I want a faster bike via that kind of transplant I'll just put this under my RSV seat;

It's a '79 XS11 special with all the touring goodies including heel-toe shift, Markland floorboards, kind of a precurser to the first 'Venturer' but doesn't have the big gas tank.

I hear they might be quicker than the 1st gens?:stickinouttounge:

(but I'll have to finish the work on it and get it running first)

Ya that's my own saying; and a good example is the XS11 special. MY plan was to work on it and have it on the road by now, but this spring and summer some family stuff and too much work (not complaining!) changed that plan!

WOW!!! Totally awesome scoot!! Remember em well - THEY WERE RUNNIN FOOLS!! If it has sat for a long long time ya might wanna prelube the cam journals in her before you start her - could save ya some major issues.. BEAUTIFUL BIKE!!

That 2nd Gen is too - they are gorgeous!!

I had a gut feeling that saying was yours!! Being a conisour of personal quotes I gotta say - thats a good one!! Perfect example of how true it is too!! I get to rotating my signature quotes do you mind if I rotate it in - with your name attached of course?

Jim,

If you can find a set of RSV pillowtop seats, they really rework out much nicer than your 99 seats because of the more flexible covers and the extra layer of foam to give it that pillow effect. But your 99 seats really rework nice and will give you a nice comfortable ride after I get through with them.

I just got my Member Vendor Classified ads reloaded, so let me know if I can help,

Rick

So I have a 99 RSV with stock seats. Seems comfy enough to me so far, but maybe I just don't know better because I haven't tried a different seat on my Venture. So between the upgraded pillow-top seats which came on later models, or seats same as mine but with the Butler mod, any thoughts on which is generally better for all day rides? Which way would my bum get more bang for my bucks?

(Or is everyone going to say 'Both'?)

It depends on the butt. I've had both types of seats and the pillow top with the "Butt Butler" mod. I prefer the original type seat like the one you have over all. I am using a set of seat beads now on my pillow top and wouldn't leave home without them. So I guess I just like a real firm seat. I've never tried a Corbin but think that might just be the perfect seat for me.

I have a '99 Venture with the non -pillow top seat, too. Rick did a great job on it. Before I was sitting "on" the seat and now I feel I'm setting "in" the seat. His mode allows you to stay in the saddle longer without pain. I never had a plush seat and I'm sure it's nice. But to me, it's more about the shape of the seat than to the plush. Rick does a superb job.

Rick did a great job on it. Before I was sitting "on" the seat and now I feel I'm setting "in" the seat. His mode allows you to stay in the saddle longer without pain. I never had a plush seat and I'm sure it's nice. But to me, it's more about the shape of the seat than to the plush. Rick does a superb job.

Couldn't agree more. Rick did my mustang seat some years ago and like was said "I feel like I'm sitting in the seat rather than on it.

Gary,

You take the words out of my mouth when I say that "There is not just one seat solution that will work for all butts" where not all butts are created equal. And I think this is a perfect segway to my latest pillowtop modification.

Recently I had the opportunity to make a unique followup second change to a pillowtop seat for a customer who wanted me to raise the seat level back to the original seat height. On all of my modifications, I remove material from the foundation foam to remove pressure points and create a pocket for the rider to sit into, rather than sit on. This customer had a special situation with one leg where I need to change the angle of the leg and the only way I could do that was to bring the seat height back up to the original height. This meant I had to ad foam and to do this I did what I have done on several sport touring and adventure bike seats, and that was to cut out a flat section of the seat bottom and glue in a layer of firmer foam and then rework the shape. I have found a closed cell foam that is used for gym mats in 1 and 2" thicknesses that has really worked out nice for applications like this where I need to rebuild a seat. I have always felt that a firmer seat is a better seat and this change has allowed me to control the shape of the seat more to where I can usually even make it wider and still stay with the stock cover. Then I still cover the entire seat with a layer of memory foam to help reduce pressure points. And it still allows the rider to settle down to the firmer foundation.

When I test fitted this seat on my bike it really felt nice and my first thought was that this was a change that that I needed to to do with my Butt Butler Pillowtop?

So I've attached a few pictures of what I did to this pillowtop. And for you folks that would like a firmer seat, this may be a addition I may make to my Butt Butler seat mods. Now like I do for covers that are attached with pop rivets and seats with heating elements, I will charge a modest fee.

So let me know what you think of this.....and later I'll probably make this into a post of it's own.

Rick

It depends on the butt. I've had both types of seats and the pillow top with the "Butt Butler" mod. I prefer the original type seat like the one you have over all. I am using a set of seat beads now on my pillow top and wouldn't leave home without them. So I guess I just like a real firm seat. I've never tried a Corbin but think that might just be the perfect seat for me.

Raw Insert.jpg

Finished Insert.jpg

Finished Insert 2.jpg