IGNORED

Replacement 1st. Gen horns

I've bought 2 sets of the red electric horns from Auto Zone for my 89, but they don't last. They're nice and loud when they're new, but even with the opening positioned downwards, after a couple of rains they quite working. Has anybody found any horns that seem to last? The Rivco electric horns look good, but is there anything else that seem to hold up?

Frank D.

I'd have to go look to be sure as I've had mine on my '84 for about 4 years or more now with no problems. Haven't paid much attention to them since they were installed other than a tap now and them to make sure they are still working.

I think they were Fiam Freeway Blasters rated about 130db each. Both hi and low. Butt ugly flat black styled like a car horn but very effective. Mounted similar to stock horns but each facing away from the bike to the sides. Been in service through heavy rains, sleet and even been packed with snow a couple times.

Used to joke about wanting to display a scratch sheet like the fighter pilots do for direct hits on oblivious soccer moms, gray hairs and inattentive motorists of all kinds that attempt to share my air space.

Like I said, butt ugly but that wide eyed look I get from intruders into my space isn't because they're pretty. They got the message loud and clear.:yikes:

I replaced my 1983 stock horns with horns from AutoZone in 2002. I used a high tone universal (FIAMM # BH101HC, AutoZone # 006073) and a low tone "Freeway Blaster" (FIAMM # BH103FBL, AutoZone # 345230) 132db! I initially hooked them up using the stock wiring and connectors, as well as the stock brackets. The high tone universal would sound off, but the Freeway Blaster would just "thunk". After determining that the Blaster was in fact good (by connecting straight to battery with jumpers), I determined that the setup was too much for the stock wiring and switch. Not wishing to burn up the switch (very expensive and difficult to replace); I wired in a horn relay and new 14ga wire to power the horns. As for the "trigger", I simply plugged in the stock horn connectors to the relay. A new 14ga wire from the battery to the relay provides the juice to fire the horns. The provided short wire was used to ground the horns. I was even able to retain the chrome covers from the stock horns and use them to cover the back side of the new horns.

Now, the bike sounds just like my Chevy Silverado!

My 1990 had RIVCO air horns, but I was not able to salvage them. While the RIVCO horns were fairly loud, the tone to my ear was rather high pitched. I prefer the sound of the FIAMMs. I'm going to replace the stock 'beep-beep' horns that are on the 1991 with the FIAMM.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

Well...be that as it may, I put the Stebel Compact on my VR and it is great. Had it for 5 months and it's loud. Put it on the right side, using the right side wires to trigger the relay for the horn. The left side stock horn is still there and working. Mounting was easy, wiring was easy. Looks and sounds fine.

Edited by videoarizona

• 1 month later...
Has anyone tried the Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn? Northern Tool has them for $40. $60 for the chrome ones.

Comes with a relay so you can use your horn button.

I have the chrome bad boy.... in the package ready to install on my 03. I will let you know when I get to that job and connect it up. $60 for the chrome is much better than we pay in Canada.

More is better. :big-grin-emoticon:

You can never have too much of a cagers attention.

Once I figure out how I will be upgrading the bike to train horns.

You still haven't figured out the train horns installation? Been a year or more, hasn't it?

a. Compressor in trunk

b. One horn on each side mounted to the saddlebag guards (remove and discard the saddlebags)

c. Air tank on the passenger seat

For many years I have been running the cheap harbor Freight air horns. I have bought several sets over the years and with extra compressors, I use one for each side. I have them run through a solonoid to the battery, so they get good power. They have lasted very well and when one quits working right, I just replace it. I painted the orange horns black, so I just switch them.

I only live a mile or so from Harbor Freight, so stuff like this is easy for me.

RandyA