IGNORED

1983 Venture Royale 1200 and I need help!!!

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 1983 Venture Royale 1200 cheap. It is not firing the front #2 and #4 cylinders. I have ohm checked everything I can think of, plus everything everyone else on here has suggested in my reading. I have taken the TCI box out and relocated it to the top of the breather cover. I have decent mechanical and electrical knowledge and do all my own work on my vehicles.

My questions are,

1. How do you take the TCI box apart? (I have the top cover off and all the screws out, but I can't get the circuit board out)

2. Can the TCI box cause the front cylinders to not spark?

3. Does anyone know where I could get a working TCI to check and see if that is really my problem?

4. Another issue I have is the headlight will only work on HIGH BEAM. I tested the light and both elements come on, (OFF of the bike). Any ideas on how to track that problem down?

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 1983 Venture Royale 1200 cheap. It is not firing the front #2 and #4 cylinders. I have ohm checked everything I can think of, plus everything everyone else on here has suggested in my reading. I have taken the TCI box out and relocated it to the top of the breather cover. I have decent mechanical and electrical knowledge and do all my own work on my vehicles.

My questions are,

1. How do you take the TCI box apart? (I have the top cover off and all the screws out, but I can't get the circuit board out)

There are 2 ways to get the cover off.

1. Desolder all of the connector pins. This runs a high risk of damaging the runs on the old fragile board.

2. Use a thin saw to cut thru the cover just behind the connectors. Be careful to not cut into any components. This is the method that I used. when putting it back together seal up the saw cut with RTV.

2. Can the TCI box cause the front cylinders to not spark?

Yes, but if is the TCI causing the problem it is not repairable.

3. Does anyone know where I could get a working TCI to check and see if that is really my problem?

Sorry, I am no help here.

4. Another issue I have is the headlight will only work on HIGH BEAM. I tested the light and both elements come on, (OFF of the bike). Any ideas on how to track that problem down?

Odds are it is a dirty hi / lo switch. It is easy to disassemble to clean the contacts. I have to do this every other year.

Are you getting a spark to the block by holding the plug cap with conductor close to the engine block.

I had a dead cylinder when I bought my 85 Kawasaki. it was a completely dead spark plug and the bike only had one thousand miles on it when I bought it. That 25 yr. old NGK expired just sitting, I suppose.

I think there are two sets up pick up points on that bike that control spark.Maybe someone could add to your thoughts.If the pickups were not working( maybe) those two cylinders would not fire. The 83 bikes were the odd ball timing TCI bikes with there exclusive unit.

If that checks out, it sounds like a TCI problem.You should see if you could borrow a working unit to find out. :fingers-crossed-emo

If you have the stock spark plug boots (not the NGK ones) and you look inside the spark plug boots you will see that the brass contact has a slot across it. Using a screwdriver carefully unscrew this contact and drop it out. Behind it will be a small round bar and a spring which should drop out at the same time, careful you do not drop or loose them. Check them to make sure they are in good clean shape.

Also make sure all your connectors and contacts are in good clean shape.

Thank you everyone for the advice. So far I have checked everything that was posted on here. It's looking like I need a CDI/TCI whatever they are called. Just wished someone would let me borrow a good one before I spend the money and it turns out to not be the problem.

Thanks again for all the help. Just frustrating that I can't track this problem down 100%

This may be related to the CMU in the middle of your dash. It is a pretty common problem that the circuit board may have some cold solder joints. There is a lot of info on here that shows how to fix it. You may just need to do a search. Check this out: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33328

If you are going to keep this bike, the best investment you ever make is the $12 to join and we hope you do.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Thank you everyone for the advice. So far I have checked everything that was posted on here. It's looking like I need a CDI/TCI whatever they are called. Just wished someone would let me borrow a good one before I spend the money and it turns out to not be the problem.

Thanks again for all the help. Just frustrating that I can't track this problem down 100%

Perhaps someone will offer to try your unit in their bike to see if it operates okay

or gets the misfire.

So your tachometer is totally dead when running or it won't even start?

I loaned out my good spare about 4 yrs ago and haven't seen it since. If you could find someone close you could probally swap to see if this is problem. If I were closer it could be done in a short time. Spend the 12 bucks and I'll bet it is the best investment you make on that bike.

Venturous Randy,

Thank you so much for the advice and the link for the headlight. I took it apart and soldered it just as it said (I also soldered all the other points as well) and it WORKED. I now have a low and high beam.

Neil86,

My tach does not work at all. I have purchased a used TCI on Ebay for $25 so I should see if the computer is really the problem in about 3-5 days. I will keep everyone posted on the front cylinders not firing after getting the new computer. I will also be paying that $12. Thanks for all the help

One thing to keep in mind....if the replacement TCI is an 83 (with a 26H model on the sticker) the pressure sensor hose can left connected to the #2 carb body.

If its a 84-89 TCI (with a 41R model on the sticker) the carb port needs to be capped and the pressure sensor hose connected to the #2 cyl synch port so the timing advance under load is correct.

Venturous Randy,

Thank you so much for the advice and the link for the headlight. I took it apart and soldered it just as it said (I also soldered all the other points as well) and it WORKED. I now have a low and high beam.

Best $12.00 you'll ever spend. Guaranteed by all here. Trust us.

Just wanted to update everyone about my 83 VR. Put new (Old) computer in today and I'm firing on all 4 cylinders now. Holy Crap this thing has some power. Now I just have to get used to riding it. Next project is to get the air ride working, or at least aired up. :cool10:

as for the ignition, most likely you have a defective tci, which may be repairable but replacing bad diodes, search for tci diode repair. Best option is to replace the old tci with new style programmable ignition unit. We have been using one from ingitech that works well. Member Dingy has been selling them.

Another possibility is the spark plug boots have resistor inside them, and frequently get corroded. Unscrew from plug wire and ohm out.

You could also have defective coils...:080402gudl_prv: