IGNORED

Geezer Bikers Guide to surviving a fall and impressing new neighbors..

cowpuc

Some bikers actually like falls, they actually plan for them and thereby not only survive through them but come out on the other end of the spectrum ready for the horror that follows..

In geezerdom, I have become one those bikers who has developed a true disliking for falls.. I used to just ride right thru them but not anymore.. Now adays it seems like falls = having my bike laid up and I hate having my bike laid up and sitting silent for long periods of time.. Totally different than when I was young.. Why,, when I was young I even rode my motorcycle thru the horror of winter here in Michigan that follows all falls.. On the other hand, back in my younger days I also snowmobiled, bow hunted deer and raised heck with the neighbor hood rabbits who were getting chased by my beagles while I fired No. 6 shot from my Remington 870 thru many falls and winters... Not so much no more..

Last week was nice here in Michigan.. We have new neighbors who haven't learned not to invite us to go riding with them.. Last Wednesday they pulled into our yard on their Goldwing and announced they wanted to ride over to a neighboring town for some Jerky - that town was Newaygo, a short jaunt from here of about 35 minutes and really a very nice ride.. As we pulled out of our driveway, I leaned over to the lovely couple on their gorgeous bike and said,, sooooo,,, how long can you guys be out (an innocent question).. The lady on the back said,, we are in no hurry,, why? I said,, well,, I know right where that jerky place you guys are headed is but I also know of a little place "up north" that has the worlds best jerky (town called Dublin near Irons), we could just follow the back roads and see if we can find it... Awayyy we went.. We left home at 10 a.m. and got home at 1 a.m...

I was shocked but pleasantly surprised when the next day they pulled into our yard and asked us to lead them on another fun goose chase.. This time we toured the lake shore a ways and than headed over to follow the Muskegon River to view colors, Dams and look for Salmon - of course we went right past the jerky place they wanted to go the day before..

It being fall, it turned cold and rainy and I was shocked when the new neighbor lady rang the doorbell yesterday afternoon. Honestly, the thought of "she cant possibly want us to go riding in this cold/wet weather can she".. Tippy walks into the living room and announced that the new neighbors wanted us to come play cards... Tip had a really weird smirk on her face cause she KNOWS that if there is one thing ol Puc doesnt do is play cards,, not even during a cold, rainy, fall night..

There were 6 of us old geezers gathered around the table at the new neighbors house.. The new neighbor looked at Tippy and asked what we should play.. Tippy looked at me, dressed in my long sleeved VentureWest shirt (she was wearing the match to it), sporting my ol Harley hat and a clean pair of jeans... I looked her in the eyes and I could see it coming... She always talked about this game that they always played at Girly Showers and stuff,, a game called "Spoons"..

As it turns out,, Spoons is a violent game.. A game where brute strength and speed is what really matters.. A game that could turn bloody if people didn't control themselves.. One of the other couples at the party were actually friends of ours,, people who I knew well and had did a fair amount of stuff with,, as a matter of fact, I actually helped build a trike for the lady of couple...

Anyway,, I knew this couple well enough to know that they both sport Concealed Weapons Permits.. Knowing this and discovering the true nature of the game we were playing, I looked at them both and inquired whether or not either of them were packing..

The man of this couple looked at me and said no,, why do you ask? I said,, I don't wanna go home with a 40 caliber hunk of lead sticking out of my shoulder cause of some stupid spoon - that's why...

When we were walking across the yard heading home and I discovered the "extra" spoon in my pocket I had snitched from the neighbors silverware drawer during a bathroom break, Tippy asked me what got into me to agree to going over there to play cards... I just looked at her and said,,, I am trying to figure out what biker geezers do to survive falls...

Edited by cowpuc

What do biker geezers do to survive falls.........????? ?????? ???????:whistling:

Some go out in the shed and tinker with old machinery, make sure the refrigeration system is working up to spec. Loading a fresh batch of white stuff......... and just getting ready.......all falls will end........:missingtooth:

Unless of course the old geezers are kept so busy in chat that the old geezer has no time for machinery.....

How to impress new biker neighbors?

When the new neighbor shows up with a brand spanking new Hayabusa. You go for a ride with him and he finds that all of his modern HP will not keep up with a 27 year old bike that weighs twice as much. and then come to find that he thinks a 20 mile ride is a long one. and I thought I had a marshmallow butt........

But in all fairness, it was his first ever bike.......:scared:

I love the Dublin store jerky, it's a 20 minute ride from my place between Luther and Irons. Lots of good riding in the area. :thumbsup2: :biker:

Indeed Raggy,, dont make no difference whether its bikes or sleds bro - IT IS GORGEOUS UP THERE!! I use to spend an enormous amount of time up there, hunting/camping/dirt biking/snowmobiling.. Peacock LTD always hosted a dirtbike/quad ride called the Snowy Chicken in March - screws in the tires and plowing thru a couple feet of snow on the single track,, LOTS of fun..

Raggy,, my Dad and I hunted on the corner of Kings Hwy (its a two track NOT an interstate folks) and 10 mile Rd, that is between Irons and Luther - any idea of that is close to your property? He would haul me up there starting as a little kid.. LOTS OF GREAT MEMORIES IN THAT SPOT!!

Of course, the Dublin Store was ALWAYS a treat (almost as good as Jones Ice Cream) with their guns/bows (guy that owned the store back than said that they made enough dollars during Deer Season that they were able to keep the store open year around) and AWESOME Jerky!! Now adays, they have the biggest selection of Jerky known to man and ship world wide...

We lost two tables and a chair playing spoons. :rotf: friendly little game, them women were/are vicious.

:rotf:

Specially when they charge in with them longggggg fingernails exposed!!:backinmyday:

New solution: Move south- ride year round- don't play spoons.

:bighug:

Except I think we will end up somewhere in the Desert Region,, might be the Indian blood in me or something but I am afraid 100 degrees and 90 percent humidity would have me right back to playing spoons Puppy!!

We have more good riding weather up here than there is down south.

I can dress for comfort in sub freezing temps, There is no way to make hot comfortable.

RIDE NECKED :cool10::cool10::cool10:

Even nekid, HOT is still HOT......

You can only take so much off and then you get arrested......

I dont know Fool,,, I get in the heat combined with the humidity its almost like the moisture content of the air wont let my sweat evaporate,, where, same tempts in 5 percent humidity - the sweat evaporates instantly and it seems cooler.. IMHO, that old saying about "It's a dry heat" does have credence.. :whistling:

I dont know Fool,,, I get in the heat combined with the humidity its almost like the moisture content of the air wont let my sweat evaporate,, where, same tempts in 5 percent humidity - the sweat evaporates instantly and it seems cooler.. IMHO, that old saying about "It's a dry heat" does have credence.. :whistling:

That it does. Having spent the last year in New Hampshire after 40 plus years in Arizona...I can say..high humidity sucks! :rain2:

I'm glad to be back in the dry heat!

So Puc...when are you moving to the Tucson area? Huh, huh?

Grins...

david

Edited by videoarizona
format