IGNORED

New Venture owner with a fork question

Hi everyone, feels good to have an 87 Venture now, always wanted one but was too young before lol.....my question is, has anyone installed a Race Tech cartridge emulator kit, my springs are very weak and 18 psi didnt help much. I need fork seals/oil replacement but want to have the front end as good as possible and dont mind spending the 100.00+ above and beyond just new springs....the funny thing is the part # FLEKS3890 fits many bikes from Harleys to an FZ750 so will it work on this bike?

I have another fork spring related question, if there is no objection? If the air compressor lines to the forks are removed, after the Progressive replacement, should the open connections be plugged. Is there enough air volume, within the fork cavities, to allow for compression without blowing the seals? Perhaps attaching a canister, with a low charge, would allow for compression without elevating the pressure too high?

If I may, I'd like to piggyback a more basic question on a first gen Venture Royale (1983). Just purchasing. Am told the "clunk" in the fork is "normal." Really? If true, any fix? A brace is suggested? Can anyone verify, inform, direct? Thanks
I experienced a clunk when the head bearings were loose. Tightening them made the clunk go away.

I had the clunk in my 83 and when I pulled the front springs and measured them, they were well below the minimum length. I replaced them with a set of progressive springs and fixed the clunk and made the world of difference in ride and handling. Comparing the stock to the progressive was like comparing a chicken leg to a turkey leg

Ditto on the progressive springs. Made an incredible difference in my 89. Also get a heavy duty front fork brace. Again, it made a big difference. Disassemble the top head bearings and grease and then re-tighten...make sure there are no cables or wires that get stuck in behind while reassembling.. (don't ask me how I know..)

I have attached a document that might help.

Also, here is a link to my thread as i did mine:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65735&page=6

Good Luck !:sun:

I have another fork spring related question, if there is no objection? If the air compressor lines to the forks are removed, after the Progressive replacement, should the open connections be plugged. Is there enough air volume, within the fork cavities, to allow for compression without blowing the seals? Perhaps attaching a canister, with a low charge, would allow for compression without elevating the pressure too high?

My answer would be yes, plug em. Some people have put Schrader valves on the forks so they can be pressurized manually but the forks are designed to have air pressure. You could also use a remote canister connected to your existing lines. That would probably even be easier since it would balance between the two forks automatically, unless one of them leaked.

If you want to see what makes Cartridge Emulators work with dampening forks, here is a link to an article that explains everything:

http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How%20They%20Work

Hope this helps,

Rick

OK I was going to at least put the Prog or Race Tech springs in, what I am curious about is the Race Tech cartridge emulator kit, it has devices that replace the damper rods(?), 2 small extra springs and its $259 retail in Parts Unlimited....anyone?

Just one note on this.....which Progressive makes in their installation instructions.

Once you get springs with the right spring rate for the weight of the bike and the driver, you no longer need to add air to forks. The only reason Yamaha provides air to either the front forks or rear shock is to set the preload or ride height of the bike for additional weight above the average weight they designed the bike for.

Hope this helps,

Rick

My answer would be yes, plug em. Some people have put Schrader valves on the forks so they can be pressurized manually but the forks are designed to have air pressure. You could also use a remote canister connected to your existing lines. That would probably even be easier since it would balance between the two forks automatically, unless one of them leaked.