IGNORED

Stock Pipes ?

Guest FFJFlanagan

Guest FFJFlanagan

Just wondering if anyone tried to take out the stock pipe baffels ??

If it sounds like crap or not ?

Anywho thanks all !

Jon Flanagan

Jon,

Many folks just swap over to the Roadking pipes as they have a nice bark to them. I believe that Big Mike drilled his stock pipes out and wasn't happy with the sound. I personally love the sound of my drilled out R/K pipes and just put a set on my 2nd '99.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responces to your question

A lot of people seem to like the drilled out stock mufflers, or stockers with the baffles removed. I tried it once on a bike and I thought they sounded like crap. It sounded to me like someone farting in a tin can. I promptly threw them out. JMO. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder, I suppose.

The baffles on the stock rsv pipes are not removable. They can be drilled out but the sound has too much of a wisp to it. Like Brad said the RKs sound good and drilled out they are deep. I went to RSTD pipes with 4 1/4 inch holes drilled and they are OK. I'm really not into LOUD any more.

Guest FFJFlanagan

I think i like the lower deep sound!

Squid if you could get a sound clip up there that would be awesome !!

Thanks Guys !!

Jon Flanagan

Here's a sound clip of stock Road King mufflers on a RSV.

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/RSV_Stock_RK1.wav

That sounds very close to what mine are like, but that doesn't include a good fly-by which is when they really sing and sound the best in my opinion. I'll try to get some audio of that soon....but no promises on mother natures help :confused24:

Those do sound nice! How do you drill out the baffles on stock pipes? Love those free mods. :D

BTW, those horns on that bike are da freakin' bomb! :happy34:

Actually, it looks pretty simple. This link gets you to a tech site. At the bottom of the page is a link to enter free tech support. Then you can access a step by step method with pictures.

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002009&id=193

Jon,

Many folks just swap over to the Roadking pipes as they have a nice bark to them. I believe that Big Mike drilled his stock pipes out and wasn't happy with the sound. I personally love the sound of my drilled out R/K pipes and just put a set on my 2nd '99.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responces to your question

Squidley,

How many holes did you drill in your RK pipes? A friend gave me a set of RK pipes and I bought the wide clamps and the adapter to bolt them on with. Now to figure out how many holes to drill.:2143:

Squidley,

How many holes did you drill in your RK pipes? A friend gave me a set of RK pipes and I bought the wide clamps and the adapter to bolt them on with. Now to figure out how many holes to drill.:2143:

Dave,

I have both the baffle plates drilled out in mine completely, making it technically a strait pipe. I used a 1 1/8" holesaw and a long drill bit and removed all of the plates on the inside. It really isn't that loud while cruising, I hear the air passing more than the pipes. When I crack the throttle thats when she barks and I really love the sound of it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Katydid

Don, thanks for the link to Ventures...the info was perfect! I made a set out of 1/4" SS flat stock, polished them and can't wait to get them mounted! For the record, if a line was drawn between the center of the slot and the 3/8" hole nearest the end of the bracket, the angle at the slot end is 71 deg., and 19 deg. at the hole. I also slotted the two holes to 3/4 " slots in case I need a little more adjustment. Dave

The baffles on the stock rsv pipes are not removable. They can be drilled out but the sound has too much of a wisp to it. Like Brad said the RKs sound good and drilled out they are deep. I went to RSTD pipes with 4 1/4 inch holes drilled and they are OK. I'm really not into LOUD any more.

Oh yes they are.... I used a 2" hole saw in from the back, then pulled the rear tube out. They sound great... not "wispy" or "gurgly" (like old Suzuki L models) not too loud, I'll have pics later.. :cool10:

Pics are posted... page 3

Let me say this about that! I too put the RK's on my first 99 and drilled two 1/2 inch holes in the front baffles. I loved the sound and they looked sharp. Only problem was you don't get the cover over the joint, so I ended up putting two 1 inch HD clamps on each side to cover everything and make it look better.

The 99 I just recently bought had the rear baffle stock pipe mod done and it sounded ok to me but I do like the RK sound much better. My wife complained to me about waking her up every morning when I left at 5 am so this past weekend I pulled my original pipes off the garage shelf, polished them up and mounted them on the bike. They, of course are much quieter, but the big difference I noticed was in "PERFORMANCE" I didn't realize what I was missing since I was not riding for 2 years. These MC's are tuned for those pipes and the back pressure they supply. The RSV's response is much smoother and I definitely get a smoother acceleration in 5th gear. With the modded pipes my RSV would not run smooth in 5th gear at 55MPH after putting the original pipes back on it runs smooth down to 40MPH in 5th. Now before you start yelling at me for that, just know it was "ONLY" a test and I don't run 5th that slow. I also got over 2 more MPG's after putting the stockers back on.

I never noticed any performance drop off using the RK's drilled out.

Guest ohiojack

Does anyone have a set of stock mufflers for a royal star tour deluxe.

The super trapps are ok, but just a bit loud for me. My gas mileage is

only in the low thirtys. I've used seafoam,sync the carbs and still the

bike can only go about 120 miles before reserve. When I bought the

bike it had straight pipes, 4 K&N filter pods and main jets 127. I'm

trying to bring it back to stock.:sick: :confused24:

Hello All!

I have a 99 RSV and I put on a set of Samson Slash Cut mufflers this winter. Sounds great and loud!

I had my 20,000 mile tune up done (@25,500) to get ready for Rolling Thunder this spring and have been watching my mileage. I was getting around 45mpg but now I'm getting around 35mpg.

At this point in time I'm concerned... is the engine just breathing better thus using more fuel or am I causing harm to the engine?

Thanks guys!

Guest ohiojack

When are you leaving for rollingthunder? The cma group out of BowlingGreen, Ohio is leaving Friday morning with a group of 20 riders.

:cool10:

When are you leaving for rollingthunder? The cma group out of BowlingGreen, Ohio is leaving Friday morning with a group of 20 riders.

:cool10:

A bunch of us CMA'rs are leaving Flint, MI at about 6am Friday the 25th. We'll be riding with the "Boomer's Patriots"

Hello All!

I have a 99 RSV and I put on a set of Samson Slash Cut mufflers this winter. Sounds great and loud!

I had my 20,000 mile tune up done (@25,500) to get ready for Rolling Thunder this spring and have been watching my mileage. I was getting around 45mpg but now I'm getting around 35mpg.

At this point in time I'm concerned... is the engine just breathing better thus using more fuel or am I causing harm to the engine?

Thanks guys!

Don't worry, you'll do no damage. The old-fashioned carburetor is a wonderful thing... pull more air through it and PRESTO! it continues to mix fuel with air at the same ratio it always has, only more of it. (unlike "dumb" open loop fuel injection systems without a MAF like my Victory) Pipe makers always say to richen up the mixture... THAT's where the power increase comes from that they want credit for, LOL. :rotf: It's using more fuel because you're prolly wailin' the pi$s out of it hearing your new pipes.... lol

This rule does NOT apply when intake mods are made... a carb is very sensitive to changes in intake restriction, (air filter change, ie; K&N Rockscreen) it dramatically changes the vacuum signal and thus fuel delivery (remember the venturi affect sucks it up into the air stream). The good news is even if you mess with intake stuff and make it leaner, it will stumble, run crappy and be unridable LONG before any engine damage will occur.

A two stroke snowmobile engine is a different matter.... they run BEST when lean, just before they melt down. A much smaller window of safety.

Guest ohiojack

bman: I have the same problem with my bike concerning mileage. Our

cma group is meeting in the Fremont,Ohio area at around 0830 or so

friday on the way to rolling thunder. I was raised in the Bay City area

of Michigan in a small town called Fairgrove. All my family still lives up

there. So I know the area of your ministry fairly well. Maybe we can get

together sometime when I come up to visit. Maybe in Frankenmuth or

somewhere else inbetween. Godbless, ohiojack