IGNORED

Nitrogen in the tires

SamB

I'd say we all have about 78% experience with it. :hihi:

Air is 78% Nitrogen. Save your dough. If you can get it free and refill it for free, then go ahead. It does have minor advantages. If you pay to have it filled and need air down the road and pure Nitrogen isn't available then you just wasted money on the initial fill.

Do a google search on Nitrogen tire fill. There are lots of good articles.

I can understand nitrogen in car tires as it helps keep them running cool, but isn't that just the opposite of what we want on MC tires? Warm tires stick better than cold tires. That's why racers use electric cozies on their tires between races!:confused24:

And can you run it with the Ride-On tire stuff? Maybe TireGooMan will step in here and give us his :2cents:.

Nitrogen in car or bike tires is a waste. We use it in aircraft tires so that they dont loose pressure at altitude or dry rot the nitrogen also keeps the tires cool on take off and landings.

I would not waste the money on filling the tires with nitrogen as it is only a gimick on the part of tire retailers.:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

Ok- Here is the low down on Nitrogen. I own a tire shop in NY so I hope I can help. After doing much research I can tell you there really isnt much advantage. Nitrogen theory is that regular air over time will cause the components in the tire to break down. No that is not the fact. The only real advantange you get from Nitrogen is that it will not expand like regular air. This is only because there is no moisture. Well shouldnt be. You can get just as much moisture in Nitrogen as in air depending on how it is stored. Regular pump air will expand or contract 2lbs for every 10 degrees of temp. For example if you set you tire with an outside temp of 70 degrees and it drops to 60 you could loose 2 lbs of pressure. Basically you are better with super dried regular air. You can spend your money getting nitrogen in your tire but you are really just wasting your money. Use a good water seperator and you are just as good. As far as tires running cooler that is not true either. Friction causes the heat and proper inflation is a more important factor than want is in it. You will only benefit if you start the day at 100 degrees and drop to 30 degrees. All the rest is how good they market a new idea. Works good in racecars but for on the highway just another thing to sell. I dont put it in mine.

Scotty

Guest Captain Video

The Lincoln service department wanted 37 bucks to put nitrogen in my wifes car tires. The whole thing sounded like a crock but I was convinced it was baloney when they said it would prevent dry rot. I haven't seen a set of tires dry rot in a long time even with junky, plain old air in them.

The Lincoln service department wanted 37 bucks to put nitrogen in my wifes car tires. The whole thing sounded like a crock but I was convinced it was baloney when they said it would prevent dry rot. I haven't seen a set of tires dry rot in a long time even with junky, plain old air in them.

When have you ever seen dry rot on the inside? Dry Rot is caused by the effects of chemicals on the outside of the tire and also UV rays breaking down the surface rubber. The compound of the rubber on the tire is a factor too. For example Michelin used a more synthetic compound to the Rubber and being a little harder also are very prone to the cracks. Even though light surface Cracking is normal all these things are a factor. To say that it will prevent cracking is hysterical.

Great info on nitrogen vs tires. Saved me a few bucks... This is a little off subject, but it still raises the question. How does moist air effect the front and rear shock performance? Maybe that's why us 1stGeners have compressors that require the silacagel to be renewed every few years?? And how many of us have actually done it??? Maybe this should be in another thread??? :confused24:

And even if dry rot did occur over time, how many of us keep the same tires on long enough to see the results? I go through at least 1 rear tire per season and the front might last 2 seasons for me. I'll bet there aren't many among us that keep a tire long enough to see any kind of rot.

well i tryed it and it works for me and im going to stick with it in the bike as far as the cost of it ill give up a meal at mcdonals and call it even i dont see it as a wast i used to have to put air in couple times a month now i have not put any in sence it was installed

hey i have a better idea sence i dont drink ill use my BEER MONEY

whats that about 3 bottles now day in a bar 8bucks :smile5:

then i can still have my burgers :banana:

Take a look at this thread. Just cook the stuff. :)

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1058

Yep, that's one way to do it, but the stuff is cheap enough fresh that it might be more convient to go out and buy it new?? And it seems like every new camera, VCR, DVD, has a pack of the stuff inside. I have them floating all over in the desk drawers.....:)

Great info on nitrogen vs tires. Saved me a few bucks... This is a little off subject, but it still raises the question. How does moist air effect the front and rear shock performance? Maybe that's why us 1stGeners have compressors that require the silacagel to be renewed every few years?? And how many of us have actually done it??? Maybe this should be in another thread??? :confused24:

Cant be much. The volume of the air in the tires is much more than the in the shocks. The more air- the more effect! I would imagine very little

Cant be much. The volume of the air in the tires is much more than the in the shocks. The more air- the more effect! I would imagine very little

I wan't refering to the volume vs psi increase, but more about the moisture content of the air. If it's like my compressor in the garage it makes water faster than the old one armed paper hanger....

I worked for a rancher down in south Texas where we had Ford Couriers for work trucks that ran off of propane . That old rancher did things the old way , as we had to change tires on/off the rims by hand . No air compressor to air up the tires , but an extra air hose of the propane fuel tank to inflate them .

Gene

I worked for a rancher down in south Texas where we had Ford Couriers for work trucks that ran off of propane . That old rancher did things the old way , as we had to change tires on/off the rims by hand . No air compressor to air up the tires , but an extra air hose of the propane fuel tank to inflate them .

Gene

Dont Smoke!!! LOL

Id like to see Helium in tires. Get a flat and you start talking funny!!! LOL

Dont Smoke!!! LOL

Id like to see Helium in tires. Get a flat and you start talking funny!!! LOL

HMMMMMMMMM...............Helium in the tires..........Wouldn't that make these Ventures lighter and easier to handle at parking lot speeds? :confused24: :rotf: