IGNORED

45 years ago today...

Venturous Randy

I was in the dayroom in a barracks at Chanute AFB in Rantoul, IL, watching a grainy B&W tv. I had about a week to go before finishing tech school and had orders for my base of choice, which was 50 miles from where my wife was living with her parents. I was doing good.

As I sat there with several guys, we were in amazement watching Neil Armstrong climb down those steps. It just does not seem like that long ago, but I remember it so clearly. For those that are old enough to remember this, do you remember what you were doing?

RandyA

Yup, I was glued to the B&W TV in the living room.

I wonder if maybe for the 50th if some one will rebroadcast the original coverage, with all of the original commentary and original graphics and animations. Of course nothing would be anywhere near today's broadcast standards but I would watch it again. I'll bet it would get watched with good ratings, again.

Guest tx2sturgis

NASA TV is broadcasting a high def version this evening. It will also be online.

You're welcome!

:happy34:

First Randy, thanks again for your sacrifice, time and effort in keeping this country free.. I too remember sitting in the living room at home staring at a Black and White TV in total awe of what I was seeing!! Those were really interesting times to experience for a teenage boy of 14 years old..

Gotta agree with you brother,, it sure seems like it was just yesterday... Man, how time flys,,,, almost like time itself is riding a 1st Gen Yam Venture...:detective:

I was stationed in Kenitra, Morocco at the time and the best I could do was check it out in the next addition of Look magazine. My daughter was born on August 14th and I was sitting in the waiting room waiting for her to arrive reading the magazine. Fastest news I could get at the time.

BOO

I was 15yrs old excited to be seeing the moonwalk. I even wrote NASA to see if I could see the landing with my Telescope. They even wrote me back, see attached. Was excited from the beginning of the space program. Dream job came true in 1980 in going to work as a contractor here in Houston as a Broadcast TV technician for covering the Space Shuttle Landings in Calif and New Mexico.

As an Iron Butt Rider, two other riders and myself rode a ride from Earth, Tx to Moon. Pa. We left separately doing our own ride this last Wednesday the 16th, Launch day of Apollo 11. They did Bun Burnner Gold rides with 1500 miles in under 24hrs. I wanted to do a SaddleSore 3000 in under 72hrs from Earth, Tx to Moon, PA and back to Earth, Tx.

We all completed our rides to celebrate the 45th Anniversary. Here is my spotwalla track of my ride.

My 05 Midnight Venture did another great job in making the ride fun. Now with over 127,000 miles on her.

I was 15yrs old excited to be seeing the moonwalk. I even wrote NASA to see if I could see the landing with my Telescope. They even wrote me back, see attached. Was excited from the beginning of the space program. Dream job came true in 1980 in going to work as a contractor here in Houston as a Broadcast TV technician for covering the Space Shuttle Landings in Calif and New Mexico.

As an Iron Butt Rider, two other riders and myself rode a ride from Earth, Tx to Moon. Pa. We left separately doing our own ride this last Wednesday the 16th, Launch day of Apollo 11. They did Bun Burnner Gold rides with 1500 miles in under 24hrs. I wanted to do a SaddleSore 3000 in under 72hrs from Earth, Tx to Moon, PA and back to Earth, Tx.

We all completed our rides to celebrate the 45th Anniversary. Here is my spotwalla track of my ride.

My 05 Midnight Venture did another great job in making the ride fun. Now with over 127,000 miles on her.

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap2::clap2::clap2:

OUTSTANDING PK - congrats to you and your riding buddies!!! Thank you for sharing that with us!! Ride on and ride safe brother!

Oh yea, give that 05 Midnight a hug for me and when ya do, pat er on the back and tell her I said thats for a job WELL DONE!!

How cool!:cool10:

Puc

My daughter was born on August 14th and I was sitting in the waiting room waiting for her to arrive reading the magazine. BOO

That's interesting BOO, when I left Chanute, I was off for a week or so and then reported to Seymore Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC. About a week later, my son was born in New Bern, NC on August the 14th. :)

RandyA

Guest tx2sturgis

As an Iron Butt Rider, two other riders and myself rode a ride from Earth, Tx to Moon. Pa.

You rode within a mile or so of my house in Plainview..I woulda bought you a beer!

I was like 12. We were in Miami Fl area visiting my brother I had not seen in I can not tell you how long. At one time I had a Miami Herald with the headlines and pics and all that. But all these years later no idea where it is. I also had a pic of one of my other brothers when he was in the Navy about same time in the door of a rescue helo out on search drill when they were assigned to pick up Apollo missions.

Summer of 69. I was in Mississippi, near Brookhaven, helping a buddy build a 3 bedroom house for his wife's parents. That Fall, I went into the USAF...so I was out of college looking for something to kill my time as a delayed enlistment. So yes,we were watching!

You rode within a mile or so of my house in Plainview..I woulda bought you a beer!

Brian, a beer after that ride would have knocked me right out. Went thru Plainview and got a receipt at 11:30p. I had to change my route since I was going to be a few miles short, hince the return ride back thru Plainview. Construction thru me and Garmin trying to find 70, but good ride back to earth.

Would have nice to meet, maybe next time I am up that way.