IGNORED

Trike kit and did you diy

kantornado

How many of you built your own trike and what brand did you use. Was the trike kit complete or did you have to fabricate parts. Hannigan is 1st on my list TRIWING is 2nd of the DIY kits.

Also as a trike owner what do you feel is the add on's you wished you had or done I.E steering rake, emergency brake, Aux fuel tank ?? Thanks in advance.

Hey Brother, I have been looking at a place called Richland Roadster Trikes out of Dade City Fla.I have owned a Voyager kit and loved it. You will hear a lot bad things about the Voyager but most have had other people put it on for them, not a good idea there is so many pre setting that most people will blow off. I have put 50,000 miles on one kit and a friend of mine who was 68yrs old put about 20,000 on that kit. I have no idea about Richland, I will ride down there and see what it is all about, says he'll paint the fenders to match you bike for free! I just reason the 12,000 trike kit on a 7,000.00 bike. Drop me a line if you find anything worth looking at. Take care Jim

Richland looks like they made considerable improvements over the other add on wheels but it's still not a trike.

It will not, cannot compare to a Hannigan, CSC or any of the trike kits installed on a motorcycle. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the wheels add on, if that's what a person likes - good on them but it's still not a trike and never will be.

I have done both. I can speak from experience that three wheels are more stable and handles much better then a add on kit. Add on kits also eat up rear bike tires in a hurry. They also don't stop well in a panic stop. They will skid much further then a 3 wheel trike with full rear brakes. Been there, done that. Very scary! Feels like your on ice. However, you do have the security of not having to worry about laying down your bike. That's about the only plus for the add on kit. But if you can't afford a real trike, and you want to continue riding, then its really the only alternative. Whatever it takes to keep the wind in your face.

I had the 05 RSV/Tri-Wing kit and put that on myself. It's not that bad to build but you do need to be somewhat mechanically inclined. I now have the Hannigan on a 09 and ride quality is way better then the Tri-Wing I had. The price difference you pay is in quality, options, and labor.

If funds were a concern & still wanted a trike the Tri-Wing would get the job done. OR to save even more consider a side car rig I was thisclose to going with a side car on the 05 Midnight before going with Tri-Wings kit. From what I've read and seen on the add-on kits I would definitely go with a side car before using one of those. Just MHO .

http://www.texassidecars.com/yamaha.html I had picked out a Ranger model if I had gone that route.:080402gudl_prv: with whatever decision you choose.

Larry

Hannigan is not a DIY kit. it has to be installed by a certified installer.

That's probably why so many trike builders bad mouth Hannigan. I say good for Hannigan. Get's rid of the shops that don't know what they're doing.

That's probably why so many trike builders bad mouth Hannigan. I say good for Hannigan. Get's rid of the shops that don't know what they're doing.

To bad some bad dealers still slip through the cracks.

Bob

Thanx all. So far I think I'm going the Triwing route, I can do the work myself and then also I have the wisdom of the good people on this site. As well as some pretty smart friends (azzes) mostly (lol)

I looked at the Richland Roadsters and not what I wanted as well as a sidecar.

Hannigan I took off the list after talking to them and they would not ship to a shop not on there list. I truly want to do the work myself, this way I know its done right.

I am not one of these guys who says (If it ain't broke don't fix it)

If any one wants to chime in please do so I am not in a hurry.

I'm saven my nickles and dimes.

Jonesy thanx for the heads up. The shocks that come with the kit are they gas type or spring and is that the reason for the rough ride. This is great insight I can up grade as I build.

You have a very nice looking trike. What is your fuel mileage with the conversion.

My 05 had a set of air bags over the axle. Tri-Wing also utilizes the factory shock and swing arm assembly. Thus the entire axle goes up and down over bumps. The air bags allowed one to adjust the pressure in them to soften or stiffen the ride as needed.

To answer you question on fuel mileage, you'll get on average 32-34 mpg. Less if pulling a trailer or loaded while in hilly areas.

Which also brings up anther item to consider. Axle ratio's. At the time I ordered my Tri-Wing kit I had the option of going with either a 3:42 or 3:73 gear ratio. I ordered the 3:42 one but in hind site while it was OK and gave slightly better gas mileage I've found that the 3:73 ratio to be a better suited for the trikes. Easier towing a trailer with less down shifting. The difference in fuel consumption is negligible with the 3:73 ratio compared to the 3:42 one.

Larry