IGNORED

1989 Venture Oil Leak - HELP!

I took my 89 Venture out yesterday and took if for a short ride (hey it was 45 degrees out here!). Anyway when I got home there was some smoke coming out from under the bike. Upon further investigation, the motor in the back was covered with oil and the exhaust was smoking from oil dripping on it.

I went back to the garage and the floor was spotless, then went out and shut the bike down, left it there for about 10 mins and got about three drops on the driveway. When it is running, though, I can see a drip about every 20 seconds onto the exhaust. It is definitely in the rear of the motor.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

I suspect a clutch rod seal.

RandyA

If it is the clutch rod seal and it gets worse, you will find that you get lost in a cloud of smoke when you stop!

I know this from experience. Having ridden 7K miles last summer with that problem, adding up to 1/2 quart of oil per day!

Check your valve cover gaskets, probably getting cracks in them, you can see on the outside of the valve cover a black half moon shape in the gasket look close to see and you may see small cracks. Also check your air breather housing (Squeeze told me about this one) for leaks, there are two special rubber gaskets that seal them up. I have the same year and mine was doing the same as yours. Good luck

It also may be the shift shaft seal at the rear of the motor.

See: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=156922#post156922

Fred

I'd agree with Fred except for your discription that the back of the engine was covered in oil. Therefore..... :) .... I'd have to put my money on the rear valve cover gasket.... but that's still a guess. Take a can of carb cleaner and wash off the back of the engine and then get in there with a strong light... a mirror reflecting sunlight really lights things up... and if it's leaking as bad as you say you should be able to locate the source.... Hopefully.... :)

One addition to Condor's advice: after cleaning the engine (Gunk does a good job on this too), let it dry and then spread some baby powder or similar on the back of the engine before you start it. Makes the leak more obvious in its infant stage.

Jeremy

I'd agree with Fred except for your discription that the back of the engine was covered in oil. Therefore..... :) .... I'd have to put my money on the rear valve cover gasket.... but that's still a guess. Take a can of carb cleaner and wash off the back of the engine and then get in there with a strong light... a mirror reflecting sunlight really lights things up... and if it's leaking as bad as you say you should be able to locate the source.... Hopefully.... :)

Also check the bolts holding the valve cover down, some may have loosened off, causing the leak to occur, I have seen this before..............

Also check the bolts holding the valve cover down, some may have loosened off, causing the leak to occur, I have seen this before..............

Also, if you replace the valve cover gasket, go ahead and spring for the grommets around the these bolts. They're a couple bucks apiece but worth changing. I tried to put black RTV on them and it didn't work. Had to go back and replace them. Easier to do it all at once!

Being new to the Ventures, I had two problems as discussed above. The valve cover bolts were loose and I overfilled the bike. I put 4 qts with the new filter. Apparently a no no. I siphoned some oil out and tightened the cover bolts.

So far - after cleaning the motor and exhaust off, everything seems to be ok.

One other thing, the air compressor display is not working nor is the compressor. Is there somewhere to look first, like a connector or relay?

Thanks

One other thing, the air compressor display is not working nor is the compressor. Is there somewhere to look first, like a connector or relay?

Thanks

The CLASS controller will throw error codes to pin-point the problem, but if you're not getting any reading at all, it's probably the power plug. You might as well pull the seat and clean all the connectors from the compressor forward. If you are getting error code(s) you'll need to pull the panal, split the controller, and resolder the connections on the PC board. There's a couple of well written tech articles covering the resolder. That generally gets things 'pumping' again....