IGNORED

Aviation Buff's ??

GeorgeS

Great video,pilot knows his stuff. The whole time I'm watching it I can't get the question "Wonder how much fuel he's sucking up at how much a gallon" out of my head. Used to be I never gave it a thought. Ugh, have to get out of the house, this winter sucks. Need to waste my own gas.:confused24::D

Guest Swifty
I worked on the F-22 for 10 yrs in various positions. I'm currently working on the F-35. Thanks for the video!-Jack

Way cool, Jack.

My son and I volunteered on the flight line at Oshkosh last year, chatted with the captain, attended his seminar...a great experience.

What I think is neat about the plane is the independently moving rear elevators...you can see them working in the video.

Thanks for the video George, my wifes-brothers son will be learning how to fly one of those beast's later on. I told my wifes brother, when your son learns how, I'll be standing in line to take the first ride with him. I wonder what it's like to give the Raptor a full throttle, release the brakes and take it straight up from there, with my age, I don't know if the ol ticker could take that much force, so he'll have to be a slow ride around the block; either way, I'd give my right arm to go up in one. Wonder if Russia still gives rides in the Mig 27 or 29. Heck, for the price of gas:mo money:, it couldn't cost more than :whistling:, who am I kidding. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

It appears to me that the plane does not have enough thrust to accellerate vertically in afterburner mode. On several occassions when it went vertical, it began to slow down with the afterburners glowing. I have seen many of old F-4 Phantom lift off the runway and pull up vertically and accellerate vertically like a rocket.

Now, I can admire the amazing manverability at slow speeds, but I still don't get it on going straight up.

RandyA

It appears to me that the plane does not have enough thrust to accellerate vertically in afterburner mode. On several occassions when it went vertical, it began to slow down with the afterburners glowing. I have seen many of old F-4 Phantom lift off the runway and pull up vertically and accellerate vertically like a rocket.

Now, I can admire the amazing manverability at slow speeds, but I still don't get it on going straight up.

RandyA

I'm not sure, but I think this was just an Air Show. Just an exposition of slow speed manuvers.

Note: For 2 years, before I retired, ( 3 years ago last month ) I worked with an E9, Airforce Reserve M Sgt. Assigned, Air Nat Guard Squad, near Phoenix. His Group was first to Fly aginst the F22, for Training, and evaluation of the new aircraft. He told us, they would send out 6 F-18's against 2 Raptors, The Raptors always killed them all.

One day, Only One Raptor, went, and still took them all out.

Guest tx2sturgis

Oh it can fly straight up very fast as long as the pilot wants it to. This pilot is just showing the low speed capabilities.

I'm always fascinated when watching a plane that the pilot is causing the aircraft to 'cease flying'. Very cool.

_

Years ago at Sturgis, I saw Jimmy Franklin flying his jet powered biplane....what an amazing sight that was. He would fly over the town, a normal sight and sound at Sturgis, you see planes all the time, then all of a sudden, he'd light off the jet and fly straight up about 10,000 feet! Then level off and fly on the prop engine back to more or less low and slow again. When he flew formation with 2 other normal bipes, it was an even more amazing contrast of reality.

I wish I'd had my camcorder, because there wont be any more opportunities to film him. He was killed in 2005 in an airshow accident.

R.I.P. Jimmy Franklin.

A fellow worker at NorthWest Airlines, Mechanic, E9, Air force Reserve Squadren. He gave me the Info.

It was 4 to 5 years ago, that the First AF Squadren, started training pilots to fly them.

According to the Sarge, nothing, can outgun them !!! Everybody is Dead Meat, that goes up agianst them in combat.

I saw the F22 fly formation with a P-51 and and F15 at the Sun-N-Fun show in 07. The Raptor took off first and I looked up while the others were taking off and the F22 was very high, but NOT moving!!! It was staying in one place, I'm talking hovering, here! I guess they told him "Don't worry about the fuel!".

And to see those 3 generation of planes fly together sent shivers down my spine.

The F15 has the best flight record of any plane. There has never been one shot down, ever. On a History Channel show on the Raptor, they interviewed a pilot. They asked what it was like to fly that plane. He said "I've flown the F15 and the f22, and I've flown the F22 against the f15, and all I can say is....It's just like clubbing baby seals!"

Did they even equip the F-22 with afterburners? I had the impression it was the only aircraft capable of "supercruise" (ie- supersonic without afterburner) Wouldn't the thrust vectoring mechanism complicate that? Don't a/b units usually have those funky nozzle constrictors?

Thrust to weight on this rig has got to be outrageaous! Just looking closely at the lowspeed agility, this aircraft could easily generate more G-force than a person could stand, even with the suit.

Did they even equip the F-22 with afterburners? I had the impression it was the only aircraft capable of "supercruise" (ie- supersonic without afterburner) Wouldn't the thrust vectoring mechanism complicate that? Don't a/b units usually have those funky nozzle constrictors?

Thrust to weight on this rig has got to be outrageaous! Just looking closely at the lowspeed agility, this aircraft could easily generate more G-force than a person could stand, even with the suit.

Yes, the F-22 has afterburners. They're used for take off and quick acceleration but the engines have so much thrust they don't need them to cruise at supersonic speeds. That gives it a much greater combat range.

The F-22 has incredible manuverability but it's main advantages are it's stealth, it's radar which gives it a "Gods eye view" of the battle space and it's computing power that determines targeting solutions. It's literally a super computer with wings.

1 F-22 will defeat 5 F-15's simultaniously. Not in a dog fight but from miles away before the F-15's even know it's there.-Jack

Great video !! Thanks for posting. And the pictures of the Midland Airshow are great also Boo.....Thanks !

I was lucky enough to be stationed at Bitburg AB Germany in the 80s. We had 3 squadrons of F15s. Our neighbor base, Spangdahlem, had the F4 Wild Weasels and Hahn AB a little farther northeast had F16s. Of all the jets I've ever seen the F14 Tomcat because of its size, and the F15 because of its speed and agility, are my all time favorites. The F15 was the first, and for a long time, the only jet fighter that could accelerate in a straight climb from the deck. It still holds some records that haven't been broken. The F14 amazes me because of how big it is and what it can do. They have one on static display at the Navy museum in Pensecola and when you walk under it it is BIG !!!!!

The Raptor is amazing in that it has such fantastic slow speed agility. And if I'm not mistaken its exhaust is/can be vectored. No doubt it is heads above the F15, but the Strike Eagle will always hold a special place in my heart. By the way, I was in Comm in the Air Force. These guys used to vibrate my ILS to pieces when they took off. But they were thankful I could keep it on the air when they wanted to come home.

By the way, the F4 was a "flying brick". It had a glide ratio of 1:1.....1foot down for every foot forward. Could not accelerate going straight up, even in full AB. But they would scare the hell out of you coming in at treetop level on a straffing pass if you didn't see them coming.

I also heard that it can use the radar on an AWACS so that it doesn't even have to light up the enemy. No emissions is real stealth!

Actually the Raptor has an advanced AESA radar. It not only doesn't need an AWACS, it can act AS an AWACS, directing other aircraft in the battlespace even after it weapons are expended free from attack due to it's stealth.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/f/F-22.htm