IGNORED

Suspicious tire damage

I was giving the bike the super-clean for a bike show tomorrow and noticed this tire damage. I have no idea what may have caused this and it is roughly on the same spot on each side of the tire. I don't recall any Cowpuc-like adventure riding that would have caused it. Almost looks like it may have been intentional. Any ideas or have any of you seen this before. [ATTACH]85366[/ATTACH][ATTACH]85367[/ATTACH][ATTACH]85368[/ATTACH]

I was giving the bike the super-clean for a bike show tomorrow and noticed this tire damage. I have no idea what may have caused this and it is roughly on the same spot on each side of the tire. I don't recall any Cowpuc-like adventure riding that would have caused it. Almost looks like it may have been intentional. Any ideas or have any of you seen this before.

Looks like maybe the cap has separated in that area.

The Elite II has raised white letters. In order to obtain those white letters, a layer of white rubber is included when the tire is molded. The black rubber showing on the outside is sometimes quite thin and any minor scrape can sometimes remove this thin black layer revealing the inner white layer. My suggestion is that at some point there was some damage done to the black layer (stone chip, careless tire changer, road debris) but you never noted it until you did your tire cleaning and the suddenly clean stark white blemishes were evident.

Unless the gouges are deep (through to black rubber under the white), I believe these defects are cosmetic.

BTW, Brian, the Elite II is still being made.

So it is a Dunlop tire.......... I've had bad experience with Dunlops - tread separation, and Dunlop would not honor warranty. Will NEVER own Dunlops again -EVER.:stirthepot:

But as Prariehammer says, its looks cosmetic, but check for tread separation by sliding your hand over the tread as you rotate the wheel and feel for irregularities. If you feel bulges or dips, the tire is junk.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

So it is a Dunlop tire.......... I've had bad experience with Dunlops - tread separation, and Dunlop would not honor warranty. Will NEVER own Dunlops again -EVER.:stirthepot:

But as Prariehammer says, its looks cosmetic, but check for tread separation by sliding your hand over the tread as you rotate the wheel and feel for irregularities. If you feel bulges or dips, the tire is junk.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Same reason I will never own a Metzler.

:farmer:

The Elite II has raised white letters. In order to obtain those white letters, a layer of white rubber is included when the tire is molded. The black rubber showing on the outside is sometimes quite thin and any minor scrape can sometimes remove this thin black layer revealing the inner white layer. My suggestion is that at some point there was some damage done to the black layer (stone chip, careless tire changer, road debris) but you never noted it until you did your tire cleaning and the suddenly clean stark white blemishes were evident.

Unless the gouges are deep (through to black rubber under the white), I believe these defects are cosmetic.

BTW, Brian, the Elite II is still being made.

Appears to be just into the white rubber not black. To be on the safe side I will be replacing the tire.

Thanks all for the input.

"Have fun out there"

stanG

Edited by stanG
typo

I've noticed feral cats clawing my tires. They like to sharpen their claws on my tires as well as the trees. They've scratched the bark completely off the tree nearby. Probably not your problem unless you have some bigger wild cats ! In fact, I'll have to make plans to have them removed because also I have see a certain one marking its territory and that'll be the end of that soon.