IGNORED

First trip on VR - Thoughts

videoarizona

Well..took off this weekend for the first major trip of my 89VR.

From Green Valley, AZ to Pine, AZ.

390 Miles rountrip

42.6 MPG

Consisting of highway (75mph)

Major roads (65mph)

Major hills (6% grades 2 to 4 miles long)

Local roads (25mph and some dirt)

VR performed very well. The altitude at Payson and Pine did make itself known - not as much pep. But overall, impressed with the high speed handling, comfortable ride and ease of the ride.

My rear end did get a tad tired...so either my seat is worn or my butt is!

Only issue I had was my fault. Turning around on a narrow dirt road, I backed up into a ditch...then was tentative releasing the clutch and lost balance. Over she went on left side. I couldn't hold it up...so let her down. Engine died as it should. I turned off key then tried to use the 120 pound weakling method I saw on internet to raise the bike. Nope. Guess the 120 weakling is stronger than I.... couldn't walk it up.

Got a guy to come out and he and I struggled for a few minutes just to get her up high enough to put kickstand down. Cleaned her off and found the fairing scratched enough to show the seam. No other damage except to my ego!

So any advice on lifting a 1st generation VR...I'm all ears. Other than don't do that in the first place! :shock3:

Guess I need to take the word "tentative" out of my vocabulary when dealing with the VR.

Lastly, the whine I hear when backing off on throttle is there at all speeds, so it's obviously something in the gear train/drive train that is worn or not adjusted properly. The other whine I have is there from 55 to 70mph and increases a tad during left lean and more on right lean. Was suggested that a certain brand of tires would do that, But I don't have those tires. Could be related to first whine or ???... who knows?

Great ride though! I feel like I can trust the VR to go anywhere I care to ride...which is a good thing. Now have to find someone who can repair the fairing and match some paint.

And sorry...no pictures. To busy riding! Beautiful views though...have to do this again when it's cooler. Was a bit warm.

david

Lastly, the whine I hear when backing off on throttle is there at all speeds, so it's obviously something in the gear train/drive train that is worn or not adjusted properly. The other whine I have is there from 55 to 70mph and increases a tad during left lean and more on right lean. Was suggested that a certain brand of tires would do that, But I don't have those tires. Could be related to first whine or ???... who knows?

I a little bit of whine when letting off the throttle is normal even when all is well. If it's a loud whine then you probably have a final drive issue.

The other whine could be your tires, tire noise isn't a brand specific kind of thing. How old are the tires? If they have any real age to them I recommend getting new ones. Obviously you enjoy riding the bike now that you've had a chance to see how it is, ride with peace of mind knowing you have good tires.

Just for starters....these bikes have a lot of sounds that don't add up to a hill of beans....I've heard all kinds of whines, clunks and rattles......wouldn't get obcessed...enjoy the ride and if its an easy rattle or whine ..fix it..don't go looking for trouble..just enjoy it the bike for what it is...old and crickety...but fast and dependable,,,

Dirt?

You didn't take the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Dam did you?

As for the whine in the rear area that changes when leaning around curves; my '90 did that too. It started doing it while on our New England trip and I was not able to define the cause before we were wrecked, but I am of the opinion it was either the left rear wheel bearing or the final drive. Mine only whined when leaning left. It wasn't very noticeable (Debbie never heard it) but I could hear it at 40-50 mph when taking moderate curves. When you get time, pull the rear wheel and clean and lube everything you can get to without pulling the final drive. And change the final drive oil.

I just lubed my final drive when I switched the rear tire. I'm thinking that we could pull your final drive off without pulling the tire all the way off to make it a faster job.

OKAY..Gurus.. what if we

1) empty all the bags of weight

2) put on center stand

3) small board under tire to barely support it ( this all saves the front tire removal)

4) remove the left exhaust pipe

5) remove the easy 3 nuts holding the final drive

6) fight like crap to get the fourth top inside nut

7) remove the final drive ???

That is the question...will there be enough room without removing the whole axle and rear wheel.. I know we wouldn't have to take the wheel from under the bike, but removing the whole rear wheel thing includes the brakes and other exhaust etc. :confused24:

Kevin...not the Apache trail...right in Pine! As far as taking rear end apart...that's the plan...after this coming weekend. May be on another ride....further testing necessary, you see!

Bill.....I'm curious too.

Rick...Payment for enjoying the dump in the dirt? Grins...Ok.. Sure, where/how?

4) remove the left exhaust pipe

5) remove the easy 3 nuts holding the final drive

6) fight like crap to get the fourth top inside nut

7) remove the final drive ???

That is the question...will there be enough room without removing the whole axle and rear wheel.. I know we wouldn't have to take the wheel from under the bike, but removing the whole rear wheel thing includes the brakes and other exhaust etc. :confused24:

You may have to remove both bags and the right muffler. You should not have to remove the left muffler.

Remove the bolts from the caliper and pull it off and out of the way. While the caliper is off, do not touch the rear brake pedal.

Remove the caliper bracket and you should have enough room to take the wheel loose, move it over and remove the final drive.

When you pull the final drive out, the driveshaft will normally come out with it. If the pinion nut is broken, it may not. Either way, you will need to pull the driveshaft out of the final drive to check the pinion nut.

RandyA