IGNORED

Santa brought me a GPS, but....

Royal05Steve

Cuz is out for an extra few days of Holiday vacation , but will find out info. when he returns . So I contacted Garmin support today and this is what they said . The GXM 30 antenna is just not the coat hanger that receives the signal , but also the the receiver . The zumo only supports XM . The XM is not within the zumo . I think their add is misleading , I told them ! Sirius is not supported by Garmin and has no immediate plans to join up together at this time .

I also got a hold of Kennedy . What my problem was is that I actually did not see , nor was it understandable to me within the instructions , was that the aux harness that comes out of the cellset needs to be connected to the aux input on the scoot . It does not connect through the 5 pin din receptacles as thought . The instructions led be to beleive it was just another input for other audible input such as in radar detectors , on which they have other devices/models for that . The tech and the staff at Kennedy were very pleasant to talk too . Though I played phone tag to talk to the tech , it was understandable ! After I explained everything on which I and how I hooked the Kennedy products up , it took just a split second for the tech to tell me what the error was . All I have to do is get another male to male 3.5mm stereo cable and connect the cellset aux to the aux input on the scoot .

So I came home today and instead of removing the fairing again , I re installed the unit on the outside of the scoot through the driver 5 pin headset terminal . Made a temporary jumper (3.5mm male to male) , connect to cellset 3.5mm aux to aux input next to cassette , connected my audio out and mic in on the zumo and waa-laa ! I have cell , MP3 and nav prompts now , but the scoot's audio control has to be set on Aux . . So far with just a little messing around could not get cell while control set on radio , or turned off . It doesn't bother me much , as the Zumo will display an alert when an incoming call comes in and prompts me to either accept or ignore . I might try to mount a small ext. speaker via a splitter on the audio out of the Zumo for nav prompts or incoming call alerts when the scoot audio is set on radio or other .

Overall , and even with the news of what I received today , I am still quite pleased with this unit . Kennedy also stated the Zumo is new and they have more experience with the 2820 . Also to say they haven't had the opportunity to work much with the Ventures . I told the tech that there were quite a few of forum members here interested in setting up their GPS , cells , and other devises , so they need to better educate themselves with the Venture . He commented they do great deal of work with the 1800 GW's and know more about technology therefore . He asked if any member was in their area , that would like to drop by and let them examine their scoot , it would be deeply appreciated and let them have the oppertunity to learn more about the Venture . I think if anyone does , they just might make it worth their time to let them take a look - see , but I cannot promise that myself .

I'll post more as I learn more, and anyone can contact me if they wish to discuss this issue .

Gene

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered the Zumo 550 $740.89 shipped.

I just ordered one of them there gadgets also for about the same price. Originally i wanted the cheaper magellen 2200t but decided against it for lack of a motorcycle and not showing cities on the screen. Jack in los osos ca

What do you mean that the Magellan doesn't show cities?

Randy; A fellow over in delphi venture forum and me were discussing the 2200t as a possible gps. He bought it said that he was not happy with it because of the fact it didnt show city names no matter what the zoom level. You have to enter the city you want and it will take you there but will not show you any cities you are passing. I didnt like this because i might see a side town on the map that i may want to detour to see. I went down and checked it out and it only shows roads but no city names.The zumo i so much better onthe map that i ordered one. Jack in los osos ca

OK Charlie , I see your argument . But there are more features to the Zumo than you realize . You can upload JPEG/JPG photos onto the SD card and dispaly them in the screen to share with your friends . Photos taken from other M & E's , scoots , Hot Babes , Or even your great freinds in Drag :rotf::rotf::rotf: .

Yes , anything can become a distraction . But discipline should over rule everything . Therefore I am not placing your photo in Drag on my Zumo !!!!! :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Gene

see the part about in drag thats why charlie dont need a GPS he rides in drag and pretends to be a woMAN when he/she is asking at every gas station for directions and we all know its ok for a woMAN to ask:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just think when Charlie runs out of fuel , because he doesn't know where the next gas station is . A few touches on the screen and the zumo shows the closet gas stations and phone #'s . Charlie just sits along the side of the road , waiting for a passer-by , to lift his skirt , hoping they will stop . Well he's got another thing coming , if he thinks he will get any roadside assistance ! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

P.S. I punched in "Dairy Queen " on my Zumo and it showed all the DQ's as far as 200 miles away and closer !

Gene

Ok , all you new Zumo / 2820 owners . Are you planning to wire it up to your scoot's IC ?

To fill you in , this is what I finally did to connect the GPS to my scoot . It's all intalled now ! Whoopeeeee !

Parts I ordered from Kennedy : I only wanted to connect Zumo with no other accessories such a radar and such . So if you wish to connect other features into the Kennedy system , parts may very .

Parts for Zumo , 2820 will vary :

Part # 95415 Cellset , MC/GPS - AUX/MIC $75.00

Part # 95389 Harness , Aux, Audio-JMCB $25.00

Part # 95261 Harness , Intercom , FPD , type 2 $44.00

Radio Shack part # ? 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male 12" (stereo) around $5.00

Radio Shack part # ? 3.5mm stereo splitter $4.00

I made up some of the other parts need and saved some $$ , but if you do not have the resources , you will need these parts .

Part # 95299 Harness, Power - Universal $15.00

Part #95423 Zumo Device Harness $95.00 **

** This part I made myself as I thought it was pretty pricing for what it is . It actually consists of 3 cables within this harness .

1) Power cable exactly like the OEM power cable that comes with the Zumo .

2) 2.5mm mono mic in cable with a Molex 2 circuit connector to plug into the cellset and mic in on the Zumo cradle .

3) 3.5mm stereo cable with a Molex 3 circuit connector to plug into the cellset and audio output on the Zumo cradle .

The 2.5 mm and 3.55mm cables I received from Radio Shack . Both were the 6' cables .

I had just enough Molex connectors in my junk box to do mine . I have a friend whom is a TV/Electronics tech whom may be able to find some , but they are a little pricey as well for what they are as well . But heck of a lot cheaper the rout I did .

Now I already had my zumo mounted on handlebars and power supply cable routed to my battery . Fuse link already part of cable , just needed to crimp on terminals for battery post .

After making up the cables that I was too cheap to buy , I removed the fairing front . I located the 5 pin Din cable , marked with red tape . Installed the Intercom , FPD , type 2 between the 2 existing ends . I taped the with electrical tape securely for vibration . Connected the Intercom , FPD , type 2 via the 4 circuit connector to the Cellset , MC/GPS - AUX/MIC . Note : even though this is a 4 circuit connector , the type 2 side of the connector only has 2 wires . The red and black wires on the cellset side , ignore ! Next I connected the Aux, Audio-JMCB to the corresponding connection on the Cellset , MC/GPS - AUX/MIC . Then connected the 12" 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm (male to male) to the Aux, Audio-JMCB and the 3.5 mm stereo splitter on the other end of this 12" cable . I located the scoot's aux input connection . It is located directly under the radio , separated the connection and installed the splitter . Once again , I wrapped the connections with electrical tape .

Take the 2 cables (2.5 mm and 3.5 mm) (Remember , I made my own) and run them through the hole in back of fairing towards the zumo . Making sure that they pass through the plastic cable clamps already on the handlebars of the scoot and connect them to the proper connections on the Zumo's cradle . Pulling back all the slack back into the fairing . Then connect them to the proper connections on the Cellset , MC/GPS - AUX/MIC . I then used adhesive type hook and loop velcro . Sticking the hook portion on the backs of the Cellset and the type 2 modules . Then placing the loop portion of the velcro on the location where you wish to mount the modules . I used the velcro instead of double back sticky tape , as I may need to move the modules some to let the cables relax as I then secured the loose cables with zip-ties and electrical tape . Now Please test the unit to make sure it works .

To use the zumo and it's features , you have to set the scoot's IC control to AUX . Both driver and rider will hear and be able to talk on cell phone via the bluetooth feature of the zumo . If you are going to listen to another audio source , the zumo will prompt an visual alert on the screen when an incoming call comes in . Later I will be placing an external speaker using either another splitter placed between the cellset and zumo . This I will do at a later date and will repost what I have done at that time .

If all works , replace fairing . It took me about 1 1/2 hours to wire the unit . It will take longer if you do not already have the zumo mounted or making your own audio and mic cables .

Note : The 2820 , you will have to go into menus and select line out , or you will not hear any audio .

If you have any questions , I will be happy to clarify or help out in any way I can . Just ask .

Good luck and Enjoy .

Gene

I also received a GPS but it was the Garman c530. I was told I could trade for the bike model if I wanted .It is on sale this week for $429can. reg. $600can.The problem is size of the screen. The bike model is a lot smaller which would be harder to read,so I will try it and see. I guess the only differences between the two would be size and water proof-ness? Are there any others?

Santa brought me a GPS for Xmas, a Garmin c340. I was looking at the 2820 for the bike. I can take it back and upgrade, should I?

The c340 has a larger screen and smaller footprint, but the 2820 has bluetooth capabilities. I think I'd stick with the c340 unless you plan on going wireless in the future??? JMHO....

The c340 has a larger screen and smaller footprint, but the 2820 has bluetooth capabilities. I think I'd stick with the c340 unless you plan on going wireless in the future??? JMHO....

I went and traded up to the Zumo 550.

1. Was the Zumo being water proof

2. Was the size, about the size of the c340

3. With the 2 Ram mounts included about the same price as the 2820

4. The XM capability (way too pricy for the damn antenna right now though) to replace my Roady 2 and 1 less ornament on the bike

I went and traded up to the Zumo 550.

1. Was the Zumo being water proof

2. Was the size, about the size of the c340

3. With the 2 Ram mounts included about the same price as the 2820

4. The XM capability (way too pricy for the damn antenna right now though) to replace my Roady 2 and 1 less ornament on the bike

The Zumo is certainly a great package. Should be lots of fun telling you where you are....even when you're not.... :whistling:

The Zumo is certainly a great package. Should be lots of fun telling you where you are....even when you're not.... :whistling:

Funny you should say that. The unit went into route simulaton mode(I think) when I was using the Go to Home and was telling me to turn where I wasn't. Hmmmmm...

Funny you should say that. The unit went into route simulaton mode(I think) when I was using the Go to Home and was telling me to turn where I wasn't. Hmmmmm...

It may not have gone into route mode, but actually lost the signal for a brief period. If you're between buildings, or under trees, anywhere it can't 'see' the satalites it won't know where you are....even if you do.... Ain't it fun??.....:) Did you tell it where 'home' was???:detective:

It may not have gone into route mode, but actually lost the signal for a brief period. If you're between buildings, or under trees, anywhere it can't 'see' the satalites it won't know where you are....even if you do.... Ain't it fun??.....:) Did you tell it where 'home' was???:detective:

When I restarted my trip I was in a parking garage and it did lose the signal, but I powered it down once I was outside it still asked if I wanted to simulate the route when I selected goto home and never really followed where I was until a few miles from home when I stopped and restarted. It also switched background color.

One thing I did do was switch from motorcycle to car, but I do not think that should have anything to do with it.

I set where home was the first day.

Hummm , Hadn't had that problem . Mine jumped straight out of the box and onto the scoot and has been accurate to date .

Later the first day I receive mine , I did an software update . Did you do a software update ?

Used it today going to the NC M & E . I like the display that gave you a ETA . I listened to MP3's music , received and made a few phone calls , Only thing I did not like , but all GPS's suffer the lack of knowledge of new roads that haven't been mapped yet , is having to hear the darn thing constantly telling you it's recalculating . The newly "retired" navigator hollering at the dam thing to shut up ! LOL . So I switched over to radio to listen to new music . The display screen alerts in text at top what next road is named when in close vicinity ( 1.5 miles too ) and at bottom right , lets you know what distance to next turn regardless of how far it is .

Muffinman , Riderduke , Mechanic and others all like it , when I showed them within a few commands how far the DQ was from the Texas Steakhouse !

I do not know if it was just me , but when I wear my polarized specs , it is harder to see the screen . With my prescription specs ( transition style ) I have no problems what so ever with sun glare .

I still have to plot out routes , transfer to zumo using Map Source and vise-versa . Map Source is a little bit harder to use than the DeLorme program I have on my laptop .

Gene

Hummm , Hadn't had that problem . Mine jumped straight out of the box and onto the scoot and has been accurate to date .

Later the first day I receive mine , I did an software update . Did you do a software update ?

I still have to plot out routes , transfer to zumo using Map Source and vise-versa . Map Source is a little bit harder to use than the DeLorme program I have on my laptop .

Gene

I did the software update Staurday night anf it seemed to behave better yesterday. I went out and bought a DVD burner for my pc so I could load the Map Source software. Not sure how to use it yet and the tutorial is pretty lame or that is all there is to using it, not sure. I guess I need to make a trip to plot out a route :-) I tried upgrading to the latest Map Source version, but I am not sure it did it.

The next thing is to get it mounted on the bike now

• 4 weeks later...

Gene

Gene,

I just ordered the Zumo 550 and am anxiously waiting it' arrival. I had been using the Garmin Streetpilot C530 and you could enter a destination and the GPS would route to it automatically. As far as I know I couldn't upload routes and didn't get any computerized mapping software with it. Will the Zumo 550 let you enter the destination from the screen or are you required to download trips from your PC? I am thinking you probably are loading stops, vias, etc from the PC and the Zumo will use that route when selected. I sure hope it will take the input and route on the fly as well.

I appreciate the posts you made on getting it hooked up to use the phone and communications features of the Venture. I plan on getting that done too before long.

Thanks,

Gene,

I just ordered the Zumo 550 and am anxiously waiting it' arrival. I had been using the Garmin Streetpilot C530 and you could enter a destination and the GPS would route to it automatically. As far as I know I couldn't upload routes and didn't get any computerized mapping software with it. Will the Zumo 550 let you enter the destination from the screen or are you required to download trips from your PC? I am thinking you probably are loading stops, vias, etc from the PC and the Zumo will use that route when selected. I sure hope it will take the input and route on the fly as well.

I appreciate the posts you made on getting it hooked up to use the phone and communications features of the Venture. I plan on getting that done too before long.

Thanks,

Yes it has POI's preloaded and you can just punch in something and it will find it and map it for you. The unit comes with MapSource software that will let you plan a route on your PC then save it to the Zumo and you can pul it up on the unit. The blue tooth is working really well in my cage.