IGNORED

Driveshaft or Tranny

Loud shifting clunks starting out, right before it left me a pedestrian. when we loaded it into the pick-up bed. it starts to move, then slips (like the splines or middle pinions stripping) I first thought the u-joint was in two or more pieces, but a visual inspection yielded u-joint intact. I figured I'd ask the 1st Gen gurus. I have down loaded the factory PDF manual. Thinking about looking for a Clymer V-max manual for rear swing arm removal. Thoughts/suggestions.

You might have broken the final drive pinion gear shaft.

Attached picture shows exploded parts view. #16 is part that may have failed. Forward pointing shaft that connects to #22 has been known to break. #22 in turn connects to drive shaft.

Gary

Yes, if you remove the rubber boot around the front u joint you can have someone watch to see if the driveshaft goes around when in gear. If it moves and the rear wheel does not, then it's a rear end problem. If it does not move then the problem is in the output of the transmission...

How often have you removed the rearend and removed the drive shaft and grease both ends and the coupling? If you have not done it, I suspect you will need a drive shaft and a coupling. There are some on ebay right now.

One more thing, you do not need to remove the swing arm to check the drive shaft. You can take off the bags and take the brake caliper off, undo the axle, remove the brake caliper bracket. If you have a problem pulling the tire out, you can pull the rearend by undoing the four nuts on the housing and pull the rearend off. The drive shaft may come out with the rearend or not. If it doesn't, just pull it out.

One thing to watch for is there is a washer on the axle and make sure you put it back in the same place.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Your public profile indicates you have an '83, and those early models '83-'85 have a weak rear spline design that strips out when not perfectly maintained. Usually, both the axle and splined coupler need replacing. More cost effective to upgrade to the '86-'93 improved design.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

How often have you removed the rearend and removed the drive shaft and grease both ends and the coupling? If you have not done it, I suspect you will need a drive shaft and a coupling. There are some on ebay right now.

One more thing, you do not need to remove the swing arm to check the drive shaft. You can take off the bags and take the brake caliper off, undo the axle, remove the brake caliper bracket. If you have a problem pulling the tire out, you can pull the rearend by undoing the four nuts on the housing and pull the rearend off. The drive shaft may come out with the rearend or not. If it doesn't, just pull it out.

One thing to watch for is there is a washer on the axle and make sure you put it back in the same place.

RandyA

I have never had the rear end off. Thanks to your bolt by bolt description, I'll start tackling this next. Thanks so much.

Your public profile indicates you have an '83, and those early models '83-'85 have a weak rear spline design that strips out when not perfectly maintained. Usually, both the axle and splined coupler need replacing. More cost effective to upgrade to the '86-'93 improved design.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

The stripping rear spline noise transfers to the transmission side (unless the front splines stripped) As soon as I get the drive shaft out, I'll know. Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

It is the Rear Spline of the Driveshaft. When you talk of the "axle" & "coupler" I'm sure you mean the driveshaft & female coupler gear. Now I'm off to find replacements.

P.S. The stripping noise telegraphed to the transmission end of the driveshaft.

It is the Rear Spline of the Driveshaft. When you talk of the "axle" & "coupler" I'm sure you mean the driveshaft & female coupler gear. Now I'm off to find replacements.

P.S. The stripping noise telegraphed to the transmission end of the driveshaft.

That was what I was afraid of. There has been a final drive listed and relisted on ebay for $4.99 about three times, but I just looked and could not find it. There were also two driveshafts listed as of yesterday.

RandyA

Yeah.....that's it, shaft and coupler.......not axle and coupler. You are better off with new if they are still available. Used from any source could already be half worn out. If you've got the money, consider swapping to an '86-93 type that has a different lubrication system. They should fit and there are some writeups here.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I have 2 rear wheel/differential assemblies. I do not have the swing arms that go with them or the drive shafts. Is there a way of knowing if they are 83 to 85, I don't know what a 86 and up looks like....

The '83-'85 final drive housings have a 'starburst' pattern to the exterior reinforcing ribs. The '86-'93 are much smoother and less busy in appearance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=85321&stc=1&d=1403730184

attachment.php?attachmentid=85322&stc=1&d=1403730184attachment.php?attachmentid=85323&stc=1&d=1403730184

• 4 months later...