IGNORED

Clutch Whine

Well, I took my bike into the dealer to have the clutch whine checked out and hopefully have it covered under warranty. After the dealer had it for 5 days they called me back and told me that Yamaha won't replace the clutch basket. Hearing this and reading the prior threads on the forum I called Yamaha customer service. In short, they are doing NOTHING to help me out. I even said to them, "So let me get this right, Yamaha's position is to do nothing in this situation - even though the company has paid to have this situation addressed previously." The customer service person agreed with my statement. Between the clutch whine and the HORRIBLE wobble in the front end (the dealer stated everything was tight and up to specs - even the tire balanced out perfectly) my enjoyment of riding this bike is going south very fast.

Just a B*%&H sesstion here. Hope everyone's Venture is whine and wobble free.

:225:

Mine whines but is out of warranty. Too bad Yamaha won't step up to the plate but hasn't it been said that the replacement basket doesn't really cure the whine and only moves it? Maybe a speaker upgrade would be better! :hihi: kidding...

As far as the wobble. Mine is steady and true.

What kind of rear pre-load PSI are you running? How 'bout the front? Might wanna add some rear preload and drop the front PSI a bit to help get more weight on the front tire.

'Course I say that but I don't know where (speed/conditions) you experience the wobble from... :o

Have you posted about it before? If so, I musta missed it...sorry.

I run about 40 in the rear shocks and usually 0 in the front. I had a 6 CD changer in the left saddle bag that I removed to balance out the bike. This helped some but as time went on the wobble got worse. Reading many threads about this I have tried so many different home remedies that have done nothing. I must have done something bad in a previous life to get both the bad wobble and the very loud clutch whine.

:cool10:

• 7 months later...

What speeds? My OEM Brickstone tire would hunt left and right coming up through second gear... about 20-30 mph... the zig zag tread was my suspect... NEVER seen that on any other street MC tire. The Fresh Metzelers solved all that BS:detective:

Lots here run about 3-5 lbs in the front and about 25 or so in the rear. Also it is the Bridgestones on it? Not the first I have heard this. I personally would check the front bearing as stated in the tech section and change the front tire and se what happens. Maybe someone here has a tire for you to test. Its a little bit of work but if it solves it your on top.

When the rear tire started getting close to the wear bars, it wanted to wobble, especially on groved roads, tracking I believe they call it. There were several posts on this problem with everyone blameing the front tire when it was actually the rear tire causeing the problem.

The bike really got to wondering one day, and when I got home was sure something was loose. It turned out A chunck was out of the rear tire about 1 inch by 2 inches. Gotta love those brickstones!!!!

Put Michelins on, but don't have any miles yet. But what a difference in handling. Almost had to learn over again, it was so responsive.

Good luck finding your problem, but at least check out rear tire!!!!

:225:Drive fast, take chances!!!

I have 22,000 miles on my bike and have never had a problem with the front end wobbling. I have appox 4,000 miles on a set of metzlers. Last weekend was riding to north carolina and took both hands off the handle bars to adjust my helmet and got the crap scared out of me. The handle bars started wobbling badly and I thouhgt I was going to lose it. I have never had this problem before.

I have 22,000 miles on my bike and have never had a problem with the front end wobbling. I have appox 4,000 miles on a set of metzlers. Last weekend was riding to north carolina and took both hands off the handle bars to adjust my helmet and got the crap scared out of me. The handle bars started wobbling badly and I thouhgt I was going to lose it. I have never had this problem before.

Pressure in the front tire?

Leo,

Try a different dealer!!! It is amazing how important a responsive dealeris in getting the I basket. My dealer, Yamaha of Camp Hill is terrific. When I had my bike in for its 600 mile service, the service manager asked me how I liked my bike. I told him it was great, but, if I had to nit pick something it would be the whining sound. Without any further discussion, he replied, "there is a different clutch basket we can try that helps sometimes...I'll get one ordered." My dealer has been great to work with. You need to find one that is great to work with as well.

As far as the wobble...it has to be something simple...these bikes are just not like that.

Sorry gibvel, I mispelled your name.

Not a problem with the name. I know that I've got the narrower Avon Venom on the front of mine. Sidewall says 42 on it and that what I keep mine at. It went down to about 38 or 39 once and I got the same thing on the highway. Pumped it back up to sidewall pressure and haven't the "No hand" shaking went away.

Is it possible that having different psi in each fork leg would cause or amplify a wobble? I installed the Progressive Suspension fork air equalizing kit on my RSV, it links the air valves in the 2 fork legs together...that makes sure that they are both the same.

But as for the clutch whine...definitely try going to another dealer, if there is one in your area. In S.E. Michigan, the quality of customer service varies a LOT from one dealer to the next...from "sucks" to "what can we do for you".