IGNORED

RSV 2006 squeaky rear .....

Hi all,

My new to me RSV has a squeak sounds like it comes from the monoshock?? or some kind of rubber bushing..? I think this bike sat for a little while, certainly over the winter, and something need a shot of WD-40 or something. I definitely sounds like a rubber squeak or rubbing against dry metal.

So with all those incredible technical descriptions, does anyone have any idea what it might be or where to start looking? Is there a way to get to the monoshock to spray it down with WD40? I cant seem to see it in there? How about the swingarm bushings? Is here a side panel to remove so I can see this stuff?

TIA

MD

It certainly could be the bushing for the rear shock. I have not had one out completely, but I did take the linkage out of mine a year or 2 ago. From what I remember the bushings are rubber with a metal sleeve that goes inside of that busing and then the bolt goes thru that. To get at both is going to be a real PIA. There used to be some stuff made by CRC that was actually made for Ford upper control arm bushing for the squeak. But it was temporary at best. You could try to get some silicone spray on them and maybe that would help.

It is such a confined space to get to you really have to work to get the shock out.

It's your rear shock for sure, mine does the same thing. Once it starts the only thing to do is get a new one,because eventually all the oil will drain out and your bike will start to bottom out. There are some good alternatives to stock like Hagon shocks.

Bounce the bike up and down and see if it squeaks. If it does, lay on passenger side of bike with bike on side stand (or center stand if you have one) and look at the bottom of the rear shock. There is a rubber boot. Using your finger, wipe around the bottom of the boot and see if you see any signs of oil. Carefully lift up on the bottom of the boot to see if you see any oil. If oil is present you need to replace the shock.

If no signs of oil can be found, you can try just spraying lubricant on the rubber shock mounting bushings to see if you can work it out.

However, if the squeak sound appears when you just "manually" roll (push) the bike forward and aft then read the below tech article.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

If you need help give me a ring or email me. My phone number is in my profile.

:thumbsup2:

Eck

Edited by Eck

Bounce the bike up and down and see if it squeaks. If it does, lay on passenger side of bike with bike on side stand (or center stand if you have one) and look at the bottom of the rear shock. There is a rubber boot. Using your finger, wipe around the bottom of the boot and see if you see any signs of oil. Carefully lift up on the bottom of the boot to see if you see any oil. If oil is present you need to replace the shock.

Eck

This is what and when it is happening, thanks Eck. I will check this out.... Don't I remember you from the Volusia board??

And NO I haven't use and air hose to fill it .. I haven't done anything to it ... just picked it up and it's squeaking. The dealer though it would go away. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks all

Have you been using the Air Hose, to air up your shocks ???

That's a No No !!

Then what's the air fitting for?

I've been going over this new to me 06 RSV and noticed the air fittings for the rear and front shocks, but saw no mention of it in the owners manual.:confused24:

You should only air it with a hand pump. Preferably with a guage attatched. It's only maxed at 7psi and the volume is small so attaching and disconnecting the fitting will allow considerable amount of air out

What is a bad idea is using a compressor house to fill them. The compressor pumps too much volume too quickly. Sui even if you think you are just gonna add a tiny amount, you will end up blowing the seals out.

I personally hate blowing seals

Then what's the air fitting for?

I've been going over this new to me 06 RSV and noticed the air fittings for the rear and front shocks, but saw no mention of it in the owners manual.:confused24:

Max 7lbs for the front forks and 57lbs for the rear shocks. Use a hand pump with a no leak valve like this one

I keep mine at 2lbs and 40lbs.

It has a guage on it too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRECISION-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-SUSPENSION-FORK-SHOCK-PUMP-QUALITY-CHEAP-NEW-/331123188150.

:canada: