IGNORED

HID Kit

Keysyrider

Well I cant tell you if its that exact kit or not, yes I have installed an HID conversion on mine. It is definitely a step up from the OEM bulb. Originally when I bought the RSV I installed a bulb I removed from my 900 Vulcan. A 80/100w bulb. It also had a modulator on it, and was kick a$$ at night. After reading some posts I got worried I was taxing the poor wires for the headlight. So I read up on the HID thing. Its a good alternative, although you can not run a modulator with it. Also with the HID you need to look at a separate switch or some way of starting the bulb after the bike is running. The ballast of the HID has an under voltage feature built in. So what happens is you turn key on, bulb comes on, then you hit button to run starter, voltage drops below threshold and light goes off until bike starts and bulb restarts. Now this may not sound to bad, but the bulb is like a carbon arc torch and every time it has to start it decreases its life cycle. Flyinfool I think gave me a diagram to build a small toggle switch set up with a flashing LED warning light. He has since figured out how to trip the light with the brake light switch to connect the relay on the HID harness to turn it on.

All the relays, ballest and such are easy to hide under the fairing on the RSV.

I've read that using HID bulbs in reflectors made for Halogen bulbs can cause problems with light being scattered other than on the road ahead. According to some reports, the glare to oncoming drivers can be worse than using high beams. Have any of you noticed this with our Ventures? Do you get flashed at by oncoming traffic or (Worse!) get pulled over by the LEO's? It would be nice to know before springing for that kind of money only to have to pull them off. I know that some countries (England, for instance) have outlawed using HID bulbs in reflectors made for Halogen for just this reason.

Andy

i paid $19 AU for mine from china works well you will notice the stereo will be noisy while it is powering up about 30 seconds then all goes back to normal. i find the reflections from traffic signs is very bright .and i have led in the passing lamps between the two i can really see well after dark. i do have them set a bit lower than normal. :backinmyday:

Although I have sworn off riding after dark, for obvious reasons, I can still get caught in a situation where I have to. For those reasons I thought I should get something that cuts further into the darkness.

The first thing that came to mind was an LED bulb but I cannot seem to find one that works for the Venture. When I saw the cost of the HID I thought that would work just fine. For some reason I had thought that HID would be in the hundreds of dollars range.

I think I will go ahead and order a kit and get it installed before we leave for our big Branson trip at the beginning of May.

I will quite likely be asking for some techy support from you electronic gurus out there in Venture Land.

Here is an LED bulb that is reported to work well. Not some cheapo knock off LED. Steve may remember the discussion over on the Delphi board about it. I really like my HID but I seem to be struggling even after almost 2 yrs of being happy about the aim/adjustment of the beam. It doesnt seem to be low enough to suit me.

Here is an LED bulb that is reported to work well. Not some cheapo knock off LED. Steve may remember the discussion over on the Delphi board about it. I really like my HID but I seem to be struggling even after almost 2 yrs of being happy about the aim/adjustment of the beam. It doesnt seem to be low enough to suit me.

Yup same one I was talking about:canada:

Here is an LED option. Ordered one but have not installed yet, will be updating once I do.

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/products/afterburner-led-headlight-direct-replacment-lamps

:canada:

Now that looks like what I wanted to get in the first place. I prefer LED over HID but it looks like you have to purchase a fan unit @ $15 and an LED Driver @ $35 as well as the the LED Head Light @ $45. Is that correct?

On an aside--I was in your neck of the woods last July when I did a writing tour of the St. John River Valley. My story just came out in the April Issue of Motorcyle Mojo. We have an old friend who lives in Fredericton and we had a fabulous breakfast at Sweet Belgian Desire. Love Fredericton.

Edited by Keysyrider

Now that looks like what I wanted to get in the first place. I prefer LED over HID but it looks like you have to purchase a fan unit @ $15 and an LED Driver @ $35 as well as the the LED Head Light @ $45. Is that correct?

On an aside--I was in your neck of the woods last July when I did a writing tour of the St. John River Valley. My story just came out in the April Issue of Motorcyle Mojo. We have an old friend who lives in Fredericton and we had a fabulous breakfast at Sweet Belgian Desire. Love Fredericton.

I actually bought a complete kit that had 2 bulbs, 2 fans, and 2 ballasts for about $100 from them. That way I have spare parts. So, it came to $50 for each set. The prices you quote above are for individual replacement parts.

Glad you liked our neck of the woods. There is some great riding in our area. Will look up your article.

Just got a reply from Scott at Canadian Cruiser Supply and I will need the LED bulb, the fan and the driver. Total cost will be $95 CDN plus HST.

That does not sound right. When you go on their site it comes up to $60 for a single and $120 for a double kit. When i bought mine in January, they were on sale at $50 for one and $100 for 2, I took the double kit so I had spares and also shipping was the same price for either option.

Just noticed that mine are 1800lm and the ones he lists now are 2800lm, that may explain the raise in price.

interesting specs on the LEDs

LED Specs:

• Wattage 64W
  • Colour 6000K
  • Lm Value 2800Lm
  • H7 Lm 2800Lm 48W, Amps 2.2( +/- .1 am )
  • H4 Low 2300Lm 32W, Amps 2.2 ( +/- .1 amp ) , H4 High 2800Lm 64W, Amps 2.0 ( +/- .1 amps )
  • 360 Degree Beam with adjustable high beam
  • Cooling fan cools at 12,000 RPM with a 25,000hrs Life
  • Waterproof(IP65) Driver with thermal switch to protect against over heating
  • Driver is 6cm long x 5cm wide x 1.5cm thick
  • Waterproof(IP65) connectors from LED to Driver
  • Utilizing 2x CREE LED Chips

Fitment: Please check you model for exact fitment prior to ordering

64 watts is more power than the stock headlight.

I forget what a stock/standard type headlight for a bike is. I thought it was about 40/60w. All that sticks in my head is the Wagner bulb I put in mine was 80-100w. Man I like that thing. I have thoughts of running decent wires to the headlight and figuring out how to put a relay in the circuit maybe to make it work. Probably have to run 2 eh? One for low beam and one for high? :think:

Oh by the way, Jeff would you be up to explaining to a fellow how to go about the "automatic" headlight turner on'er thing if needed?

Guest tx2sturgis
I forget what a stock/standard type headlight for a bike is. I thought it was about 40/60w. All that sticks in my head is the Wagner bulb I put in mine was 80-100w. Man I like that thing. I have thoughts of running decent wires to the headlight and figuring out how to put a relay in the circuit maybe to make it work. Probably have to run 2 eh? One for low beam and one for high? :think:

Oh by the way, Jeff would you be up to explaining to a fellow how to go about the "automatic" headlight turner on'er thing if needed?

You can buy a relay kit from Eastern Beaver that will provide the full power to that nice 80/100 watt bulb and it will bypass your ignition switch, dimmer switch, and flimsy factory wiring, provide full voltage to the bulb, plus you can add a ceramic socket for the high power bulb. The only concern then is the headlamp reflector, if its metal, you are good. Plastic, not good.

Install an E-Code headlamp for that bulb and the improvement is dramatic!

BTW...several companies are now making time delay headlight relays for HIDs...this fixes one of the main problems with HID units on a motorcycle...failing to fire up again after the engine starter motor is engaged.

[HID rant removed]

Edited by tx2sturgis