IGNORED

Nice horn option

StarFan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh,,,I see it know when looking closer at the fairing. Still a nice bike to say the least. What about some pictures of that beautiful bike ?

Be safe SilvrT !

There's one in my picture gallery. Here's a couple more...

[ATTACH]82859[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]82860[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82863[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]82864[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]82865[/ATTACH]

There's one in my picture gallery. Here's a couple more...

[ATTACH]82859[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]82860[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82863[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]82864[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]82865[/ATTACH]

Man that is one nice bike. You got me thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gotta talk to the Boss,,,,,,

Contacted seller. Yup told me same thing out of stock. I'm not sure a black one would look all that good on my 09 red and black. But maybe.

Did you ask when / if this would be available again in chrome ?

Did you tell him several other people are looking for chrome as well??

Just telling him that others are looking for chrome does not carry much weight, sellers know that people will say anything to get what they want.

On the other hand, requests from a bunch of different emails will get a sellers attention real quick.

• 2 weeks later...
Sent Sickspeed an email asking if / when these horns would be available again in Chrome. Lets see if they answer. I will post info when/if I get an answer.

Finally got an answer from Sick Speed regarding the Chrome version of the horns:

"Sorry for the delay in responding. You are correct, we are currently out of stock of the chrome horns. Unfortunately I do not have a specific ETA for getting restocked but it is going to be a few months at least. If you have any questions or if there is anything we can do for you please let us know and we will be sure to get back to you quicker. Thank you. -Vas"

I sent them an answer and asked them to send me a notice when these horns are available again. I will post on the forum when they are restocked.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an 88 VR and new sickspeed horns and the relay. I'm using the original connections, yet I can't get the horns to work. Any ideas? m

Looks great Jonas!! If you use a relay to drive the horns they will probably be even louder! The RSV has no horn relay. You use the wires to the stock horn to trigger the horn relay, and have a heavier wire coming directly from the battery and fused with a 10 amp fuse to one secondary contact of the relay and to the horn on the other secondary.

I might look into one of those!

Well since this post started I thought they looked pretty nice as an option to the more expensive chrome WOLO, Stebel, Kuraykin versions. Was driving the wifes car somewhere the other day and hit her horn and only the lows of her air horn (an old trumpet set) worked. So I think one of the plain Stebels is going on her car and I'll put one of these on mine.

First I need to figure out why the horns dont work. They did the other day, as I used them on one of our Canadian visitors to remind them one lane to a customer. Yesterday took a ride and no horn. I have not dug real deep, but I can hear the relay clicking, but no voltage at horn connections. Well the front anyways as I didnt mess with the rear, the exhaust was really hot. Did some reading last night, both leads at horn should be hot until button is pushed?

No, quite the opposite unless you are switching the ground through the relay. Now on the stock wiring yes that is the case, so on the relay coil you should see 12 volts on both leads until you press the horn button. If you press the horn button and there is still 12 volts on both then your horn button contacts aren't connecting.

Now on the relay you should have 12 volts coming from the battery, and nothing on either side of the horn. When you press the button you should see 12 volts on both sides of the relay contacts, and 12 volts on the plus connection of the horn. If you still see 12 volts on both sides of the horn with the button pushed then you have a bad ground to the horn.

OK after carefully re reading your post, yes there should be 12 volts on the front horn until you press the button as the stock horn does not use a relay...

I used the OEM wires to the relay"s. I gave the horns a shot off a battery charger so they work. I can hear both relays click, but got nothing from wires at the horn. I dont know why this horn system just baffles the heck out of me. IT's like Lucas electrical in GB wired it. I guess now I'll go rip it apart to make sure I have 12v to the relay (battery feed) I suppose the relay could click if it had voltage to it but no power to send thru.

Started at front horn. I got 12v all over the place. Every post except one I think had 12v. Go down to horn-nothing no voltage, push button same thing. Put a new relay in, same results. So I got peaved and went to back. Removed the relay harness and installed OEM horn and it works. Put harness back together and installed a new relay there, same results not a dang peep. SO I give up. Electrics has not been my friend this week. What would the incredible chances of 2 relays going bad at the same time be??? Is the front horn controled by the rear working?

No, front works whether or not you have a rear horn at all. You probably lost ground to the horn. You should have 2 terminals on ther horn, a + and a -. The + gets the wire from the relay, and the - gets a ground.

Try hooking the 2 wires from the air horn to the OEM horn with the relay circuit hooked up. If the OEM beeps your air horn is kaputz...

On the rear I took the relay out of the picture and tried the OEM horn, it worked. I did not however try it with a relay. And on the front I put 12v to the horn and it worked. Direct from a battery charger. So I dunno kind of stumped at the moment.

Start at the beginning.

If the relay is clicking then the horn button circuits are working.

So start at the battery.

There should be a wire to a fuse, from the fuse to the relay.

1. Check for 12V at the fuse

2. Check for 12V at the relay.

3. Check for 12V coming out of the relay with the horn button pressed.

4. Check for 12 V on the + wire at the horn with the horn button pressed.

5. There should be a wire from the horn - to ground. Check this wire to see if there is 12V at the horn end with the button pressed.

Report back.

That is one beautiful Bike. Love that color. But, to change the subject - where did you get the chrome trim around the front knee guards, as I call them. I've always wanted to add them to my Venture, but just don't know where to shop. Hope you can help.

Owen

That is one beautiful Bike. Love that color. But, to change the subject - where did you get the chrome trim around the front knee guards, as I call them. I've always wanted to add them to my Venture, but just don't know where to shop. Hope you can help.

Owen

Hi Owen.

These are simply some plastic chromed u shaped canals that you can buy at most auto parts stores. You can even find them on eBay. But note it can be a little tricky applying them, especially where there are sharp curves and corners - can be done but takes a little patience. The instructions said to heat them up with a heat gun to get them flexible but that was not working quite well. The chrome was very sensitive to the heat and would melt and get crimpled. What I did was I heated the surface that I was gonna put the canals on and then just warmed the canals mildly to get them just a little flexible. They are sticking like a,,,,,,,,I dont know the expression in English,,,,,,,,,, A fly on a camels a%#

Cant get them off unless I heat them up pretty good.

Note that some of the brands have lousy glue and will in a short time get loose. These are actually a German brand and I have had these on a car I own for a couple of years with no sign of wear and they are sticking like a ,,,,,,ahh,,,,never mind....

Here is a link to one on eBay - I would guess 3M would be a good quality if they are listed:

This is the item number for one brand- just put it in the search tab, push enter and the item will show up 301096189713

I have seen the trim mentioned in some parts stores in long enough lengths to do something like that. But my local store only seems to carry "door edge guard" Same sort of stuff but they are in like maybe 36" lengths. The stuff your talking about comes in like a 10' roll or so dont it?

Also I ordered one of the horns in Black. I checked today and no chrome or red. I have 2 stebels on the bike but the horn on the wifes car just bit the dust, lows only. Can you give me a ruff idea of the bracketry you had to make to mount the horn on the right in place of the OEM.