IGNORED

Fuel Pump - Symptons ?

Most likely would be that there is no fuel in the carbs,,,, but then you would first have to check to make sure that the petcock is turned on, there is no blockage in the lines and that you actually have fuel in the tank,,,,, that all being taken care of,,, it's easy: when you turn on the key, there should be a clicking noise from the pump,,,, maybe even just one, but it should click,,, if not, you need to check to make sure there is power to the pump before you go tearing into things that might make more work for yourself.

My experience with a bad fuel pump;

When my pump out

I was showing signs months before

I would got No click No start - I little later click and start runs fine for weeks

Twice out riding - The bike just came to a stop as if it ran out of gas

At first Yamaha told the the dealer they would not replace it because when he tested it it was working.The dealer had also just came and picked up the bike form my home

Because the fuel pump was not working. Yamaha did not want to replace a working pump

I had to call Yamaha , It took some talking but they did replace it under warranty

I'm thinking a lot of problems with the fuel pump is just the contacts that can be replaced.

Mine is working fine but I checked them anyway, and ya, they are pretty worn. Bike has 26K on it. I just purchased some $30 contacts to have around when I do have problems. A lot cheaper than $150 or so for a new pump.

Sorry Brad that your having trouble , did you ever think about buying a bike that is EFI with no carbs . I mean I did store a very nice one in my garage for your better half for a while . Just kidding you buddy , I would check all connections for any kind of corrosion if the bike sits through all the condensation weather unless you put heat in your new garage that could make a problem . Ive seen it . Thats why all my shops are heated .

This is the points kit

K&L Supply Universal Fuel Pump Point Switch Kit

many places have free shipping on ebay.

I wasted money buying at http://www.powersportswarehouse.com

they charge $17 shipping - my bad for not checking around

Symptoms. When starting - bike just won't catch. starter spinning the motor just fine and you can tell it is missing "something" - then you turn the key off and turn key back on and notice NO CLICK ( from the fuel pump)

take off the left side cover- key on - tap on the face of the fuel pump and clicking starts - voila - diagnosed - stuck points. Pull the black cover off the fuel pump and eyeball the points - mine were burned away on one side.

On the freeway, the bike acts like you hit the kill switch - but you didn't. - same fix on the side of the freeway.

Hope this helps

VentureFar...

Venturefar thanks. That is what I was looking for. I do not believe I have an issue. Once early last year I was clipping along and it bogged to a stop. I opened the gas cap put key in the ignition, it started and nothing since (about 6,000 miles ago).

I was only curious what the symptons would be.

Eddie most (okay all) EFI have fuel pumps so you could be next.... Yes Black Beauty did not look that good with the other one beside it.. :stirthepot:

Brad

The beginning failure of the pump is intermittent. Ergo people have figured out to knock on it.

Please open it up and look at the points.

As you have read on the forum - over 100k and still have the factory score lines and me with 15k and burned out.

Simple check.

And as a bonus in pulling the seat off to get at my fuel

Filter ( since I was already in the vacinity) I found out I had lost both bolts holding the pillion.

VentureFar...

Brad, mine stalled once last season and wouldn't start twice after being parked. I tapped on the fuel pump and it started right away.

I will have to look at my points which sounds easy enough to repair if you know how to solder, which I don't. That's why I just kept riding and ignored it since it kept starting after taping it.

easy enough to repair if you know how to solder, which I don't.

That's the reason Carl has his MD day to help those who need the assistance. HE is good at repairs, sometimes he even does them more than once to make sure he gets it right. After he re does it a third time you really have to feel good that he got it better than new.... :think:

Labour rate is cheap just need to listen and he is happy.... :sign20:

Brad

That's the reason Carl has his MD day to help those who need the assistance. HE is good at repairs, sometimes he even does them more than once to make sure he gets it right. After he re does it a third time you really have to feel good that he got it better than new.... :think:

Labour rate is cheap just need to listen and he is happy.... :sign20:

Brad

Like it's been said,,,, Practise makes perfect!!!!

Brad, mine stalled once last season and wouldn't start twice after being parked. I tapped on the fuel pump and it started right away.

I will have to look at my points which sounds easy enough to repair if you know how to solder, which I don't. That's why I just kept riding and ignored it since it kept starting after taping it.

Not starting is a parking lot is one thing but dying in the fast lane is life threatening dangerous.

Picture this.

Uphill passing a semi in heavy traffic and just as you pull back into the lane your pump freezes and your bike is decelerating in front of a semi at 70 down to zero mph with no way to move left or right. Remember you are in gear- not coasting.

Your fuel pump is not a nuisance it is al life safety part that gives no notice until it goes out.

Please check it. :backinmyday:

VentureFar...

I have to agree that if the symptoms start showing, fix or replace the pump.

Mine cut out no me twice last fall (with at least a month in between). Rather than taking the chance on a 3rd time that it wouldn't restart.... the dealer replaced it under warranty.

First time it happened I was doing 90km/h and the engine quit. Pulled to the side of the road and after about 5 minutes of letting it sit it fired up again.

2nd time I was on the 403 doing 120km/h. Got to the shoulder and letting it sit didn't do the trick. Gave the side cover a couple good hits and it fired up.

I was just glad that it didn't quit while we were on our trip West and it waited until we got back.

If your pump is acting up...do something before it gives up totally.

Brad, from what you described it sounded like your vent pipe for the gas tank got clogged or something. When you opened the gas cap did you hear a rush of air? There could have been a vacuum in the tank working against the fuel pump. As gas gets used you have to have air take it's place...

Brad, from what you described it sounded like your vent pipe for the gas tank got clogged or something. When you opened the gas cap did you hear a rush of air? There could have been a vacuum in the tank working against the fuel pump. As gas gets used you have to have air take it's place...

I thought of that Bob, but did not hear anything. Also I thought that was common on the First gens never heard it on the G2. So what vent hose gets plugged anyway ?

To all Only happened once and that was many miles back. Most likely will look at the pump in spring.