IGNORED

opinions on thi Nolan helmet

friesman

I am looking for some info from the braintrust in here, as its time to replace my full face helmet and found that Nolan has introduced a new line of helmets that are convertible from full face to 3/4 by removing the chin bar and visor. I like the idea of a full field of vision with the huge visor, but am kind of unsure how the removable chin bar would work in the event of a slide, or over the long term daily use.

Has anyone used N44 or have any info on them? I think it might be the answer for thw long trips to give you a change depending on the day. Here is the link , let me know what you think... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n44-helmet

thanks,

Brian

I bought a modular helmet that now disappoints me due to the extra hinge type material right where a speaker would go, keeping me from removing foam for a flush mount. This helmet probably has the same issues so if wiring it up is something you might do examine one in person before you buy one.

I am considering one of the Nolan Helmets myself. From the info on Revzilla it looks like they are a great idea, I currently wear an AGV modular helmet that I like, but just the idea of having the option of removing the chin bar intrigues me, it saves bringing my bell shorty with me and frees up room in one of the bags on trips.

I have not seen that helmet or even the N43 which is the old model in a shop around where we are, my prefernce to try on a helmet before buying rather then ordering online.

Mike.

Friesman. I have the Nolan helmet with the removable chin bar..... And I love it. I need to be able to look down and see the ground when getting off the trike, as my legs are bad. This helmet is perfect for that, then the chin guard can be installed for long haul riding. Very comfortable helmet :thumbsup2:

thanks for your input, everybody.

I have an HJC full face now (like it, but not loving it) and was probably going with a modular when I found this Nolan.

Now, I have a few helmets and pick a different helmet depending on the weather, the type of riding or my mood. This helmet would help me a lot to be able to change on a long trip and not have to carry another helmet along.

Annie, thanks for your input, I really think it would be what I like for vision too. I was originally concerned about durability of the mechanism where the chin bar attaches and reattaches, and about clearance for speakers, (ok now I found another article that says it has pockets for the speakers in already,but some fabric trimming may be needed)

I always try on a helmet in person before buying and if the price is close, Ill buy local if possible,...but my experience is that I will save 100 bucks or more by ordering online..:( I would rather support the local guys if they weren't picking my pocket.

Brian

Edited by friesman

Hello Brian: I like the looks of the new N44, but I think I still prefer the ability to raise my chin bar on my N103. I am always raising mine to visit, get a drink or get a better view downward as Annie mentioned. The N44 would work good for my wife, she prefers her 1/2 or 3/4 helmet due to weight, but sure could have used her N103 during inclement weather at times. Not enough room for all her helmets.

Friesman,

Last year I bought my wife and I the previous model of the helmet you're looking at, the Nolan N43 Trilogy. We love it love it love it. The field of vision is way more than any full face or modular helmet we tried on. I looked at every freakin modular helmet made before i decided to buy the Trilogy's for us. The main issue we had was, we had been used to wearing open faced helmets with face shields, and my wife kept denying every modular helmet I presented her because the field of vision was so narrow it made her feel claustrophic. The N43 Trilogy's solved that problem. She still takes the chinbar of from time to time while riding, then I nag her until she puts it back on. I bought them from Revzilla. Very easy to do business with.

Now, after seeing the N44 on your link, I'm pissed. i like the looks of it even better than the ones I have. Anybody wanna buy a couple slightly used Trilogy's? LOL.

I bought the N43 Trilogy near the end of season, closeout for $130. Not bad for a Nolan.

It's a little shorter than my HJC FS-3, not bad. Is noisier too. Like the variety it has. Added a detent to visor as it had only up and down, I like a just cracked open detent position. Modified the sun visor as it needed to come down another 1/8". Chin guard rubbed on my chin so I dremeled it out, down into the EPS foam and covered it with felt. Also chamfered the chinbar insertion ends as you put it on blind and sometimes it was hard to put on. It's a little easier now.

Really like it now after all the fixes.

I still bought a full face for my sportbike though. Haven't tried it yet. Another model closeout, $40. I watch for model closeouts all the time. Usually half off or more.

Just for a point of reference, my father and my younger brother both purchased a N104 recently. They both have fairly narrow heads (egg shaped - or - in helmet parlance - long oval). Brother was previously in an Aria Profile and Father was in an HJC that got the forehead pounded out.

They both like the helmet fit. Neither has done any long days in it, but the preliminary evaluation is that this helmet will fit a long oval head. I won't believe it until I try it. I also have a Profile shaped head.

HJC is a slightly narrow shape (slightly more oval than round). If the HJC fits, the Nolan N104 may be too sloppy front/back. Try them on to make sure.

RR

I don't have the Nolan but have the ss2200 which is very similar. I really like the wider field of vision and be able to remove the chin bar when in shorter rides.

The ss2200 is at a similar price range I believe, so it could also be an option for you. I found it in my local store and was able to try it on before purchasing it.

I have bought a set of HJC helmets for the cost of the Nolan one. Plenty of space for adding the headsets. As they are flip-ups, I used headsets designed for open face with boom microphones. Also best fit I found as I wear glasses. See link below:

http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/ismaxbt_ismaxbtsolid

:canada:

So, I think you just answered a question I've been pondering for a while. My wife and I currently use HJC 3/4 face helmets with boom mikes. I'd like to switch to modular helmets but I'm not sure how the boom mikes will work with that style. Does the boom mike fit inside the chin bar on the helmet or does it remain below it?

My wife and I have been wearing the the Nolan 104 with the Nolan b1 communications system for a year now and Love them. I have a round ( some say Square ) head and it fits great. Vision is fantastic and the flip down 1/2 sun visor comes in handy, I wear glasses which is why I went flip up Modular.