IGNORED

general hand gun questions

baylensman

Choose the largest caliber that you are comfortable with. Auto or wheel gun, it doesn't matter. Become proficient with the weapon and practice often. I have my own range on my farm and I shoot .45 auto and .44 magnum and special. I like .357 magnum but price is high on loads. For maximum protection shoot hollow points and that will reduce the chance of further penetration should you miss the target. Remember that practice only requires a few rounds down range to give you the "it's still on target" feeling.

:farmer:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at the Walther PP22L. What do you think of it???

Nice firearm. The older German made Walthers are more desirable. I also keep my firearm with me as you never know... Like one of the other members stated, I feel weird/naked without it.

I carry mainly a SW MP40, as well as a SIG P229 40 cal.

Others I have is a custom Kimber and a XD 9

Never had to use my CC gun yet. Have had a couple of instances that got close to needing it, (I can run pretty fast if I have to) once where I had to have it in my hand.

But then I have never used any of the several fire extinguishers that I have in the house, or the insurance that I buy for all of my vehicles, Or even my health insurance that I keep paying for, or the helmet that is always on my head while riding, but it will be nice to have them in place IF they are ever needed.

Caliber is not such a big deal. Load it with the right Ammo. DRT or RIP are two good ones. DRT means Dead Right There and RIP well, you know what that means. Pick a caliper you like and load it right with the right ammo. This will broaden your choices. You can You Tube those two ammos and see what they can do.

Caliber is not such a big deal. Load it with the right Ammo. DRT or RIP are two good ones. DRT means Dead Right There and RIP well, you know what that means. Pick a caliper you like and load it right with the right ammo. This will broaden your choices. You can You Tube those two ammos and see what they can do.

+1 on caliber not a big deal. People get hurt or killed with a .22. Knowing HOW to shoot, under stress, with all going on, is what matters. What they show in the movies or gangsta rap videos is BS...

The bullets we have available today are far and away better than what was available when John Browning designed the 1911. But, a 9mm has to expand by 27% to be the size a .45 starts out. Given that same 27% expansion, the .45 is .573".

I don't know if there's a real difference when shooting 2-legged predators or not, and I hope never to find out, but I have some experience shooting wild animals with revolvers. When speaking in terms of handgun "killing power" there is no question in my mind that bigger is better. Said another way, big bullets let in a lot of air. I guess what that means is that the first consideration regarding gun fighting should be: Bring a gun. After that, it should be the largest caliber you can EFFECTIVELY use. If all you can do is make a lot of noise that's probably not effective. Everything involved with self-defense weapons is a compromise of some sort, and it is very important to be proficient with what you carry. Jeff Cooper said a handgun is what you use until you can get to your rifle. I think he may have been onto something.

I look at what caliber the cops use. Used to be 9mm, but mostly 40 Smith now.

I have / sometimes carry a Taurus PT140. Reasonably priced, carries easily, fits my hand well, shoots great and I've never had a problem with it. Only maybe 400 to 500 rounds through it. Different types of ammo and it all shoots well.

If ya wanna spend more money, there's plenty of expensive stuff out there, but I just don't see the need to spend more.....Mine works just fine.

Best of luck to ya. :cool10:

I've read literally hundreds of pages about the switch from .38/9mm to the .4o. All the articles going back 20 years end up with the same reasoning, "STOPPING POWER".

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL BIGGER IS BETTER,

Many of Today's modern designs can be chambered in multiple calibers. That's where price per round recoil and other factors can truly be evaulated

Taurus judge would be handy.

I found a loaded Taurus judge in the bathroom of a McDonalds, when I was coming back from M61A1MECH house for the first time, last winter. Was laying right there. Unloaded the ammo and turned into the manager. I could just imagine what would have happened if a young adult or knucklehead found it before I did. That said, it is a NICE firearm

I'd be for it as well if I had the secret service protecting me with THEIR GUNS everywhere I went too Mr. President

Quoting what I read recently. "Turning your guns in at a gun buy back program is like castrating yourself because your neighbor has too many kids!"