IGNORED

Daymaker LED Headlight and passing Lights

ksptrooper

Has anyone thought about using the new Daymaker Headlight and passing lights similar to whats in the new Ultra Classic? Fitment in both the headlight and passing light buckets...They are expensive but they would look good. Any ideas, thoughts out there?

Thought about it but they are way too expensive. Decided to go with the Truck-lite 4.5 led lamps that match their new Phase 7 headlamps.

For the headlamp, I got a new Afterburner led h4 bulb unit. See link below:

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/products/afterburner-led-headlight-direct-replacment-lamps

Have not installed them yet but it seemed like agood compromise on price and light output for me.

:mo money:

Thought about it but they are way too expensive. Decided to go with the Truck-lite 4.5 led lamps that match their new Phase 7 headlamps.

For the headlamp, I got a new Afterburner led h4 bulb unit. See link below:

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/products/afterburner-led-headlight-direct-replacment-lamps

Have not installed them yet but it seemed like agood compromise on price and light output for me.

:mo money:

Bert,

How do you like the 4.5" LED lights? Thinking about a pair of these. Do you have a link?

RR

Bert,

How do you like the 4.5" LED lights? Thinking about a pair of these. Do you have a link?

RR

Have not installed them yet as it is still too cold :snow2: where I store the bike. Got them here on ebay as they had the best price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121183155603?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1827wt_952

Lower power draw and no mechanicals for hi\low beam on the headlamp. Plus its newer teck.

I read some questionable info about trapped light (reflector) and losses due to protective cover (lens). Without a redesign these items also would apply to LEDs. The LED linked to is also completely dependent on the reflector since it has the LED mounted to the side of the H4 replacement assembly. I have an H4 HID on my Gen 1.2 that uses a standard halogen for the high beam that requires no mechanicals. The LED system linked to requires a mechanical cooling fan so that's a downside for LED. Both the HID and LED use a large ballast/control pack so there is no difference there. My 55w HID produces way more light than is possible with an LED and doesn't use much power or create much heat, not compared to the type of bulbs the bike is designed to run.

With an electrically switched Halogen for the high beam I have a back-up and an option to run a lamp that is less bright for group rides, etc. I also have an 18W (6 x 3W) LED array on the top of the fork brace as an ultimate back-up in case the whole ballast fails. I will stay with my HID for now until the OEMs start designing an LED headlight into a touring machine that can come close to beating my HID.

:soapbox:

• 7 months later...
Has anyone thought about using the new Daymaker Headlight and passing lights similar to whats in the new Ultra Classic? Fitment in both the headlight and passing light buckets...They are expensive but they would look good. Any ideas, thoughts out there?

Hello, I installed this kit and I am truly impressed with the light output night and day. Was fairly easy to install. 71.00 with tax and shipping. Price good thru the end of October 2014.

• 8 months later...

I finally converted all my lights from the standard to complete LED's. Check out the picks in the VRgallery. Let me know your thoughts. A friend of mine runs a shop so he did the complete installation for me. If there are questions, I can answer them. I wanted to try something different. Ill post more picks when I have time.

LED0ff.jpg

LEDon.jpg

I finally converted all my lights from the standard to complete LED's. Check out the picks in the VRgallery. Let me know your thoughts. A friend of mine runs a shop so he did the complete installation for me. If there are questions, I can answer them. I wanted to try something different. Ill post more picks when I have time.

what did you have to do to the headlight bucket?...already got ldd passing lamps and hid headlight but thinking of led headlight..thanks..pictures of mod if any would help

The headlight is not HID, its LED as well as the rest of the lighting. I purchased another headlight assembly off of ebay and had it modified based on other posts I read. I don't have anything from CCC. Its all Custom Dynamics and the headlight is from Primo Rivera.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked at the Cyron on their website and it is not as bright as HID. It's only 2500 lumens while HID get as bright as 5500 lumens.

This is a very fair comparison between HID and LED:

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2013/04/17/is-led-superior-to-hid/

It's from 2013 but probably not far off the mark.

HID Headlights will Be Brighter, by about double

HID Headlights will not last as long. LED Headlights last 10x longer than HID

LED Headlights are the new technology, they look cooler and draw 1/10 the energy to operate

Some LED Headlights are brighter than stock

HID Headlights are available in a range of different colors

HID Headlights can be used in any application

LED Headlights have a narrow application range

Most LED Headlight Bulb replacements are not bright enough yet to be safe (hard to know which ones can be used safely)

When looking at off-road lighting and comparing HID to LED it’s not quite as difficult of a choice but here are some things to keep in mind:

HID Headlights will be much cheaper. A 6″ 35w HID off-road light will run anywhere from $150 – $500

35w HID will produce 3,000 – 3,600 Lumens of output. 55w HID will produce 4,500 – 5,500 Lumens of output.

LED is available in many configurations running from 900 Lumens (a single 10w LED product) all the way up to 35,000 Lumens (Vixion X XIL-PX7240)

LEDs will traditionally draw less energy than HID

HID and LED can both be found in long-range configurations

You have to watch the specs close on the LED headlights and driving lights. Everyone assumes that LED is low power consumption. A lot of the LEDs that are getting to be bright enough to be an effective headlight or driving light are drawing MORE power than the incandescent they are replacing. So you are not necessarily saving power by going to LED.