IGNORED

Steering Head Bearings

Collecting parts to star my winter modifications come the start of February. So far I've picked up new steering head bearing because the previous owner had them SO loose when I purchase that the front end would chatter. I've tightened them up but you can feel a noticeable "flat spot" at center. I understand what needs to be done, but looking to see if there is a checklist or photo-instructions on everything that needs to come apart on a '99 RSV.

Thanks

Edited by BratmanXj

I've done this a couple of times. The first time was a few years ago and I found a step by step description on this site. I have been searching and not found it but I am using my phone - will try later.

Plan on a full day for your first time. I lay out an old blanket on the floor and place the parts on it in order of removal. It helps to take pictures of everything as you disassemble - especially cable routing.

• 2 weeks later...

I just pulled the front end down on my RSV Saturday. Just take your time. It helps to bag up screws and mark them. Take pictures and notes of the wire, cable and hose routing.

It can look over whelming but it realy is not as bad as it looks.

Ken

I just pulled the front end down on my RSV Saturday. Just take your time. It helps to bag up screws and mark them. Take pictures and notes of the wire, cable and hose routing.

It can look over whelming but it realy is not as bad as it looks.

Ken

Overwhelming is not the word. I started doing mine at one point and after a couple hours and seeming to get no where, I put it all back together and decided that since I can pretty much do anything else on the bike by myself, why not go ahead and pay someone to do the steering bearings. It was just not going to be worth the frustration I would have put myself through. I know a lot of guys do it on their own, but not this guy. Good thing mine were not bad and turned out they really didn't need to be done at the time. So if someone wants to make some extra cash, let me know and I will give you a call when they need to be changed.

Somewhere lies the tutorial on how to change out the bearings where you 'suspend' the front fairing unit so that you don't have to disconnect everything (this is where most people get frustrated with trying to get it all together again). Unbolting the fairing frame, and pulling it all away from the bike as it hangs from the sky hook..

You gain just enough room to get access to get the job done, and saves you a lot of time and effort. Haven't been able to find that tutorial but it's out there, with pics and descriptions..

Grrr ya know now that someone mentioned it in this post I do remember seeing a post somewhere and the guy had the bike front end hanging from a sling to the rafters. Now if he was doing steering bearings I dont remeber but I think so. I tend to belive if you could suport the front of the bike, take the handlebars out of the risers and lower the stem out you wouldnt have to disconnect all the cables and lines. Probably still have to discombobulate the fairing inner though. Hmmm Back to the search.