IGNORED

Patio/spa pics...

1BigDog

Don, cost and the rot factor was one of the considerations I used when deciding to go with concrete pavers. My deck looked good..on top...once I looked below, rot city. Im guessing your deck is elevated..mine wasnt and it lasted 15 years. The deck would have cost about 2500.00 in materials and the pavers were 1200.00 more. And did I really want to do it again in 15 years??? Heck no. Got to finish the landscaping this weekend too. Another 300-400.00 down the tubes. Patio furniture is being built as we speak!

Mini......im thinking a Meet & Eat here at the house late April, early May. Pick a good weekend for all of yas and it will happen.

I don't blame you. Mine is a different situation though. The deck is in good shape except for the posts for the hand rails. Boring bees and then woodpeckers going after them had done a job of the rail posts. The deck itself is in great shape though. Very well build from treated lumber. I think the piers are about 8" x 10" and the deck is all treated 2 x 6. Plus it's about 20' or so by over 30' long. I don't want to tear it down. I built a small base just big enough for the tub and place it beside the deck at a height that I can extend the deck I have around it and the tub will be built in with the top at deck level. That part is done and the hot tub is functional now. Maybe in the spring I'll finish up and build the deck on out. I figure between $750 and $1,000 worth of materials to finish it up.

The price of lumber is the killer. I put it right beside the existing deck so that I can now just extend the deck and build around it. Have you price 2 x 6 treated lumber lately though? Now if everybody would bring a 16" 2 x 6....and a hammer....and.......:confused24:

Why would you want everyone to just bring a16 inches 2 x 6 - sounds like a really small deck.... But you must know what you are doing....:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Jeff now that I see how low the deck was you made a great choice in putting down pavers. It will also increase the value of your house more since it is a maintenance free patio. Nice job looks great

David, the deck was only low at that point. The other side was just above the ground. No wonder the low side rotted..LOL. I leveled the yard with a TerraMite dozer and now its level. The slope is where the path goes to the gate on the other side.

Peg, I went into the spa today for the first time.....are you supposed to float in there???? All those jets kept me pretty afloat.

Nice snow there Don......:whistling:

Why would you want everyone to just bring a16 inches 2 x 6 - sounds like a really small deck.... But you must know what you are doing....:whistling::whistling::whistling:

OK Miss Smarty Pants....so MAYBE I hit the wrong key. :)

Nice snow there Don......:whistling:

Yea right...I may send some of it to YOU.

The price of lumber is the killer. I put it right beside the existing deck so that I can now just extend the deck and build around it. Have you price 2 x 6 treated lumber lately though? Now if everybody would bring a 16" 2 x 6....and a hammer....and.......:confused24:

Don, if I don't get busy on this bike and get it done,,,,,, I'll have to bring the van and tools to your maintenance day... The 16" 2x6's might fill up the truck, though!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Dan

Al, pavers have a lime rock base followed by a finer base. Pavers are installed then tamped down with a compactor, as is the base. Edges are held in place by concrete and sand is swept into the joints and compacted. Finally, the whole thing is sealed. You could drive a truck on it.

I was considering having a larger patio poured in my back yard, but that looks great, I'll have to consider pavers instead.

Feel free to come by and check it out. A neighbor owns a construction company and he did the work. I had several estimates and my neighbor beat them all. However, I did some of the leveling work myself, which saved me a nice chunk. One company, Moderna Pavers at the beach quoted me 4100.00 for 725 sq ft. This one is over 800 sf and it was cheaper. Biggest labor cost is site prep. Considering the cost of concrete today, pavers are a good way to go and look better. After much research, I narrowed it down to Moderna vs my neighbors company, Precision One.

Both offered the most for the buck and did quality work too.