IGNORED

using EMP to disable computer by police

RandyR

I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

A British firm is running tests on a device to fire an ElectroMagnetic Pulse at a vehicle to confuse its computer and disable it. To be marketed to the military and police.

It won't be long until there are 'underground' internet web sites with instructions for how to construct these yourself with $30 of readily available parts.

Every once in a while there is a news story of someone's car or truck who stopped on a road going past an airport. The vehicle's mysterious stoppage is then traced to an air radar placed too near the roadway and interfering with ignition system / computer.

I expect a lot of father's with teenage daughters to buy these to try on boyfriends cars...

:rotf:

I have noticed in working on many car's and ones I have owned and do own, that the computers are usually in a Plastic box of some kind.

A way to, maby , stop the EMP from effecting your equipment would be to wrap the device in some type of metal covering. And of course Ground the enclosure.

Same thing with your cell phone being tracked, carry it in a metal enclosure of some kind, and I don't think the NSA could track you.

With modern motorcycles ! an engine shut down due to Radar, driveing bye an airport, could be an dangerous situation.

Next time I pull the TCI out, I might wrap it in aluminum foil, and wrap that with duct tape Hi Hi. Metal enclosure , grounded, will stop Radio signals !! Well maby

Lead? Superman won't be able to find it then.

I believe the systems they use to disable those "bait" cars is simply a remote kill switch, not an EMP.

EMP = ElectroMagnetic Pulse. Radars doen't emit EMPs.

EMP's couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges.

EMP's are generated from lightening strikes, and explosions. Biggest amplitudes being from nuclear explosions, NEMP's. In weapons, non-nuclear, NNEMP's, a much smaller explosion, somewhere around 1 millionth that of a nuclear explosion is needed. Most likely a chemical explosion. Then it's energy would have to be harnessed and directed in one direction to be of any real use.

RADAR = RAdio Detection And Ranging, which do emit radio waves, or microwaves to be more precise.

Radio waves, microwaves, visible and invisible light, etc., are all forms of electromagnetic radiation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they would be using anything that could emit an big enough EMP to kill a vehicle, anywhere near an airport.

If you want to protect your electronics from EMP's, build a Faraday Cage around them. But then no signals could get out either. Which would be much lighter and easier to work with than lead.

Edited by a1bummer

If I'm not mistaken, EMP's do permanent damage not minor disruptions. Also shielding just the CPU would not be enough, you would have to shield every wire and sensor connected to that CPU and commonize all shields to a good effective ground so normal operating voltages would be minimally effected. You would be driving a tank!

If I'm not mistaken, EMP's do permanent damage not minor disruptions. Also shielding just the CPU would not be enough, you would have to shield every wire and sensor connected to that CPU and commonize all shields to a good effective ground so normal operating voltages would be minimally effected. You would be driving a tank!

Now theres a thought!!:group cheers:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they would be using anything that could emit an big enough EMP to kill a vehicle, anywhere near an airport.

Okay I will LOL. depending on the size and postion of the emmiter and its proximity to the item in question, yes there are devices than can do it. Most quick set up Military radar domes have a large stencil stripe about 10 feet off the deck with wording about danger due to microwaves. however at 50ft from the emitter the dissapation is enough to reduce the hazard.

there have been documented cases of emitters at smaller airports (shorter towers) killing cars and Tv sets within a couple hunder feet of the tower. usually a simple realingned of the emiiter array takes care of the problem

In the USA all GM cars have onstar.

the police can contact onstar to send a signal to the car that will cause the engine to drop to an idle. this way the driver does not lose steering or power brakes, but the car will go no more than a fast walking speed. onstar can do this whether you have subscribed or not.

onstar does not work in most foreign countries.

Other car companies are now coming out with their own versions of onstar with similar capabilities.

It has already been proven that the system can be hacked to lock or unlock doors, just a matter of time till hackers can start or stop the engine to.

Using my Kenwood radio on the 86 I have noticed tha occasionally when I first key the mic, or if the APRS unit post sometimes the bike will skip a beat, tach goes to the right hand peg and bike will cough and then clear up and go. Thinking it was a coincidence I can replicate it sometimes.

So, yes, these devices are closer and cheaper and more reliable than "the man" wants you to believe

Guest tx2sturgis
I should have said all NEWER GM cars and light trucks.....:rasberry:

lol...

A few times in the last 19 years, I have thought about replacing this old pickup..and in the past I tended to prefer GM vehicles. But I could not bring myself to even LOOK at buying a new GM truck because of that stupid OnStar.

I suppose in the future, most of the other brands will have something similar.

My old 94 chevy still runs fine. Only has 71,000 miles on it...I rarely use a cage...I own and ride 4 bikes and drive a truck for a living so the 4 wheeler mostly sits in the driveway. Mostly.

Oh yeah, back to the EMP pulse thing. Yeah this is not new technology. It is not 100% reliable depending on the particular vehicle.

I remember many years ago, someone proposed that commercial trucks should have a way to disable them if the driver has become dangerous....crashing thru roadblocks, speeding, hitting cars, reckless driving, carrying a bomb...whatever.

Some government safety dumbass suggested that there should be a mechanical breakaway rear bumper (hooked to the brakes) on the trailer. A pursuing officer could catch up to the truck, ram the bumper, and stop the truck.

Yeah right. If a criminal/terrorist is going to go to the trouble of a suicide mission via truck, dont you think they might disable that system, or rig a bomb up to it?

And the poor officer that is chosen to ram the truck from the rear, at say 80 mph....with possibly deadly results:

Sure, Officer Smith, I want you to bash your patrol car into that truck from behind. You'll be traveling at 95 mph to catch up, you wont be able to see anything, the truck driver might have rigged a bomb to the bumper, and oh yeah, if your front bumper gets snagged and you cant release, and you arrive at the explosion site just in time for the big BOOM....ummm....can I have your house and that 60" Flat screen TV you just bought?

:cool10:

Okay I will LOL. depending on the size and postion of the emmiter and its proximity to the item in question, yes there are devices than can do it. Most quick set up Military radar domes have a large stencil stripe about 10 feet off the deck with wording about danger due to microwaves. however at 50ft from the emitter the dissapation is enough to reduce the hazard.

there have been documented cases of emitters at smaller airports (shorter towers) killing cars and Tv sets within a couple hunder feet of the tower. usually a simple realingned of the emiiter array takes care of the problem

Thanks, I figured somebody would, lol. You wouldn't happen to have any links or know where those documented cases might be, would ya? I wouldn't mind reading up on them and doing more research. So far, my searches are coming up empty.

The only thing I can find is this so far. http://www.barksdale.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?id=123292314

Bill

Edited by a1bummer