IGNORED

My next bike might be a Harley too

RandyR

Not to make this seem like a trend.

But I'm thinking about a new bike in the under 1000cc class for local riding.

Bikes on my short list are the Yamaha Bolt (stripped down 950cc), Motoguzzi V7, Triumph Bonneville, and the Honda CTX700

Just saw a Cycleworld web page on a new Harley model to be available shortly, the Street 500 and Street 750, water cooled V-twins. I like the looks and specs.

http://randyrick.us/motorcycles/Pictures/2014-Harley-Davdison-Street-750small.jpg

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/04/2014-harley-davidson-street-500-and-street-750-revealed-at-eicma-2013/

Edited by RandyR

My understanding is that these are made in India.

Please sell them all to them. :doh:

Just like Polaris moving the snowmobiles to Mexico. Sell your snowmobiles to the Mexicans, see how that works for you.

Yes I know Yamaha is Japanese.

Just saying the whole world is working on the getting it for the cheapest buck, first, only and last.

The Japanese suffered through that and after many years they figured out that they have to make a good and dependable product and now they have the best quality in the industry and make great products.

New emerging countries will have a hard row to hoe before they have a first class products on the market.

I won't be drinking that Kool-Aid any time soon.

Well if the quality of those bikes is anything like the Indian bulit plastic injections molds I have had to service over the years, I would not even consider one. I have seen some janky quality on those toolss, almost laughable. I wonder if the true blue die hard Harley riders will snub the riders of those bikes like they do the metrics.

I wonder if the true blue die hard Harley riders will snub the riders of those bikes like they do the metrics.

Harley riders snub Buell..........which was a Harley company.

BTW, who cares what harley riders do or don't do, as long as they keep up their houses and mow their lawns.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Guest tx2sturgis

Kinda hard to wrap my brain around a 500 and a 750 Harley...for the masses.

But...stranger things have happened.

I will look forward to the reviews and the articles about it..especially the innards of the motor...maybe they got rid of those trouble-some plastic camchain followers...

We can only hope.

:happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis
Well if the quality of those bikes is anything like the Indian bulit plastic injections molds I have had to service over the years, I would not even consider one. I have seen some janky quality on those toolss, almost laughable.

Cant say for sure one way or the other about the craftsmanship, but India is headed to Mars:

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268777/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=RnDVVyFE

Edited by tx2sturgis

The Harley plant where these are built just east of Kansas City offers tours to the public. There are 2 levels of tour. A free tour, and a $35 tour that includes close-up viewing of current production lines. I may just take Harley up on one of their $35 tours.

Hmm. I wonder if I can get in their parking lot with my RSTD?

I do expect that the die-hard Harley riders will snub riders of these machines. H*ll, my nephew with a Vrod says he's snubbed. Thats OK, I'm used to it.

My last Harley was 125cc 2-stroke, so this would be a step up.

Edited by RandyR

My understanding is that these are made in India.

Please sell them all to them. :doh:

Just like Polaris moving the snowmobiles to Mexico. Sell your snowmobiles to the Mexicans, see how that works for you.

Yes I know Yamaha is Japanese.

Just saying the whole world is working on the getting it for the cheapest buck, first, only and last.

The Japanese suffered through that and after many years they figured out that they have to make a good and dependable product and now they have the best quality in the industry and make great products.

New emerging countries will have a hard row to hoe before they have a first class products on the market.

I won't be drinking that Kool-Aid any time soon.

My read of the article said the motorcycles sold in US, Canada and Mexico are made here in the United States. The ones made in India would be sold to the rest of the world. I'm not a big Harley Kool-aid fan either but, the bike does kinda look neat for a bike without luggage space. I'm not into carrying stuff on my back in a back pack so I won't be drinking the kool aid either.

As a "second" bike, I recently got a Suzuki Vstrom. It does not have a Harley coolness but it's a darn good bike, fun to ride. And for the price you can find a good used one nowadays, you can't go wrong. Adjustable front forks, adjustable shock (previous owner had it as a very, very soft ride - I've changed it to a much stiffer, sportier ride), comfortable, choice of road or off-road tires, windshields, bags, heated grips,...or not. A lot of choices for the same bike, you can certainly make it your own. Bike of the year for '09, '10 & '11 in Europe. Not your manly man bike for sure, but a fun, reliable, affordable ride anywhere you want. Ton of support online (forums). So far, as an addition to my '99 Venture (with all bells and whistles), so good. :cool10:

[ATTACH]80914[/ATTACH]

As a "second" bike, I recently got a Suzuki Vstrom. It does not have a Harley coolness but it's a darn good bike, fun to ride. And for the price you can find a good used one nowadays, you can't go wrong. Adjustable front forks, adjustable shock (previous owner had it as a very, very soft ride - I've changed it to a much stiffer, sportier ride), comfortable, choice of road or off-road tires, windshields, bags, heated grips,...or not. A lot of choices for the same bike, you can certainly make it your own. Bike of the year for '09, '10 & '11 in Europe. Not your manly man bike for sure, but a fun, reliable, affordable ride anywhere you want. Ton of support online (forums). So far, as an addition to my '99 Venture (with all bells and whistles), so good. :cool10:

[ATTACH]80914[/ATTACH]

A Vstrom would have been on my short-list if the seat wasn't too high for me to ride comfortably.

[ATTACH]80914[/ATTACH]

You're right about the V-Strom. It is a phenomenal bike. I have two cousins who are brothers. They each own a V-Strom, one owns a 650, the other owns a 1000. Both bikes have been bullet proof for them, and their performance is at the top of the heap in their class. The cousin who owns the 650 has been from one end of this country to the other riding two up with him and his wife on long vacations, and the bike has never given them a bit of trouble. He just turned 100K on the miles. Last year he bought a BMW R1200RT for touring, but he still rides the V-Strom daily to work because he loves it so much. You're correct about it being the 09, 10, 11 European bike of the year, but did you know it was the 09 World Bike of the Year?

The folks who own V-Stroms are very passionate about them. They have a website that is very robust and active. Certainly is a very viable option for a second run around bike. And if you get too bored with pavement, you can take it trail riding. LOL.

A Vstrom would have been on my short-list if the seat wasn't too high for me to ride comfortably.

I'm sure you can get it lower, if that's the only problem. I'm 6'3" and I was trying to get it as high as I can, and you would do just the opposite. Lower aftermarket seat (Sargent is a bit lower than the stock), lowering kit (inexpensive option). I would say that is the case with any bike - when I bought my 99 Venture (used) I had to adjust it for me. The previous owner was significantly shorter than me and the bike was adjusted for him (handlebars low, no air in shocks, highway pegs way too close, etc...) so I had to do a few things to get it "perfect" for me. Any Vstrom forum will give you plenty of info how to do it. It is amazing to get this quality bike for $3K-$4K...

When harley first came out with a liquid cooled engine I was saying it was water cooled but an ultra classic rider corrected me and said it was liquid cooled. It's cooled by a thin grade oil.

Um, so basically they added an oil cooler? :confused24: For just the top end? :confused07:

No comment. :whistling:

Hopefully HD will sell a lot of those new bikes. And the buyers will put a lot of good used stuff on the market I can look at.