IGNORED

Florida Venture Mechanic

I am looking for some good reputable help to get my 2005 Venture running right.. I got advise from fellow member. That my carbs are still out ..This Venture was sitting for a few years.. Could someone get me going in the right direction.. I don't feel comfortable with my local shop.. Bike located in central florida.. Riding season just around the corner..Thanks for any input.

I am looking for some good reputable help to get my 2005 Venture running right.. I got advise from fellow member. That my carbs are still out ..This Venture was sitting for a few years.. Could someone get me going in the right direction.. I don't feel comfortable with my local shop.. Bike located in central florida.. Riding season just around the corner..Thanks for any input.

Other than our board members here I don't trust anyone with an RSV. To own one is to know one... Most are not familiar with the Venture, and even Y shop mechanics are not real Venture Wise due to not seeing them all that often, and were not even born yet when the first bikes hit the US. On your carbs...dump a whole 12oz can of Sea Foam in a full tank and run it. Also a carb sync will help... If none of that works get back to us with a more detailed discription of what your problem is...

I thought it would be hard to find a knowledgeable mechanic that is familiar with the Venture.. I just printed out the service manual but I have lost my interest in taking this thing apart.. My tour deluxe ran so good. Looking for Florida shop help..

If by chance your up my Mooresville NC., I'll be more than glad too help with the carb. issue. These engines want too run not set and be idle. Ready, waiting and able, just don't make house calls.:cool10:

If you just want to do a carb synch, I can do that for you. lf you are talking about needing to R&R them for an overhaul, then you may want someone with experience doing that.

Daytona Fun Machines is a good reputable dealer, they have been working on my two Royals since 1998 never any issues. The service manager is very good, he owns a V-Max so he knows the power plant backwards and forwards.

You need to be a little more descriptive with your issues. Does the bike run? Is it popping? Have you added Seafoam to it to help clean the carbs? We need details.....

Im not a carb specialest by any means. But if it needs a sync Im just down the road in Sebring. Im guessing the dealer your speaking is sky powersports? Have you had problems. I was thinking of applying for a mechanic position they had open.

This Venture is popping and back firing. The shop in Lake Wales is the one I don't feel good about.. I just want the carbs done right .. I know how nice these bikes run when they are right. The carbs have been off cleaned with with new o-rings and needle valves installed each carb 1 at a time by a co-worker he said the carbs had different jets but reinstalled each the the way it came apart. Floats and new TPS set to factory specs at Sky Powersports .. My biggest concern is the prior owner took carbs apart and maybe mismatched jets. Could that be an issue??? The shop in Daytona might be my best option so far.. I would like to drop off and pick-up when running right take there time no hurry.. Thanks

I do not know the sizes of the jets off hand, but they are not all the same, unless the PO did some mods to the exhaust system or other performance mods it is doubtful they changed them, but if they had them all out at the same time and were not careful, they could have put the wrong ones in the wrong place. It may be prudent to have a shop put an exhaust gas analyzer onthe bike to know exactly what is going on.

If you need the jet sizes by location I am sure I can dig that up this evening after work.

The jets are " not " the same sized in all the carbs.

Like " Condor" and others said we need more information.

Put one can of Sea Foam in a full tank, take the thing out and "" Run It "" Hard!!

Burn thru two or three tanks of fuel, let us know what its doing under all conditions.

It would be a good idea, to Replace the fuel filter, and spark plugs, Just in case.

Especially the fuel filter.

Also, be sure the fuel pump is working, as these pumps have a history of makeing trouble, Each carb bowl has a Drain Valve, and drain hose. Open the drain on each carb, " One a time " then Turn KEY to on, and listion for the fuel pump running, and make sure its pumping fuel thru the carb with the drain valve OPEN.

IF Not, you might have a failing fuel pump. (( this is just something to check, and keep an eye on , on an older bike. ( let us know the results of this check )

A new set of NGK, Iridium plugs is also a good idea.

I would also, COMPLETLY DRAIN THE FUEL TANK, if there is OLD fuel in the tank !!!!!

Again: Add a can of SEA-FOAM !!!!!

Drive it hard, for at least two tanks, with Sea - Foam !!!!

Have you cleaned the Air Filters ??

Yes I did all those things flushed gas tank, installed new fuel filter, New spark plugs.. I checked and cleaned air filters, didn't try sea foam.. But I did run the poop out of it .. This bike has less than 10K miles.. I thought this would be a fairly straight forword fix.. Still have interest in moving on but I really would like to ride this Venture..

Does it have oem exhaust? Or does it have RK muffs or some simular add on? I was reading a couple carb threads on the delphi fourm and the numbers escape me rite now but the jets are different sizes. Throw some seafoam in it 1 oz per galon of fuel. We can get together one day when we are both available and atleast sync the carbs up and take that out of the equasion.

Does it idle somooth? Or does it lope up and down? Idle high or stumble upon acceleration?

Are you getting spark to each cylinder? I had the same popping issue and discovered #3 coil was bad. When running and hot, drip some water on each exhaust pipe near the heads and see if the water bubbles up. If not you may have a spark issue with that cylinder. A color tune finally finished it along with a carb sync. Just because the jets were put back in the same way does not mean that they are properly adjusted. A color tune will set the proper fuel mixture based on the color of the flame. But I would change the fuel filter, run a can of Sea Foam through the tank (87 octane) and go from there.

Steve,

The bike is beyond Seafoam..... If you keep it, the Daytona bike shop sounds like a good option. I would call the guy referred to in the thread and talk to him first and let him know what you expect from him. You have a nice bike there and once you get it right.....it's right.

Does it have oem exhaust? Or does it have RK muffs or some simular add on? I was reading a couple carb threads on the delphi fourm and the numbers escape me rite now but the jets are different sizes. Throw some seafoam in it 1 oz per galon of fuel. We can get together one day when we are both available and atleast sync the carbs up and take that out of the equasion.

Does it idle somooth? Or does it lope up and down? Idle high or stumble upon acceleration?

I also think a carb. sync is the road to recovery to his problem with popping. Then and only then would I look at re-jetting or swapping jets around or between carbs. Need Mfg. spec. for installed jets on each carb. too verify that they are indeed installed properly.:080402gudl_prv:

Tallahassee Power Sports had the best mechanic around for the venture. Last time I was there he was the service manager and his name is Charlie. He was the premere goldwing mechanic in the area when Tallahassee PS hired him. I bought an 05 venture from them in 05 and he got his venture training on my bike. I was always pleased with his work.

Thanks for all the input on this venture but I think Foyerboy is right he has heard it run and pop and backfire.. The most qualified shop gets it..Tallahassee is a little far from Winter Haven looks like Daytona, to get it right.. I will call tomorrow and get things moving forword..

Hey Steve, You might even wanna give M61A1MECH a call on the phone and ask him for an introduction to the mechanic, he didn't mention his name but if he knew he was getting your business based off a current customer I can't see that doing anything but helping you out.

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Matthew

sorry i didn't see your post earlier. I've taken all three of mine to Mark at Gulport cycle he has never done me wrong over the past 15 years he has rebuilt 2 sets of carbs for me. one set on the 87 one set on the 96 727-321-9214 i know the west coast may be a bit far but there it is