IGNORED

Birthday at the beach

Venturous Randy

Linda and I took off last Sunday afternoon for a five day vacation. With all the stuff we were taking, we took the Infiniti I35 I picked up this past spring. We spent some time in Goldsboro, NC, where I was stationed at for part of my time in the USAF. We then went to Morehead City and Atlantic Beach and visited Fort Macon. That area has really built up since the last time I was there.

The next day we got on the ferry at Cedar Island for Ocracoke Island, where we stayed three years ago on my 60th birthday when we had the party at Deadwoods and we stayed at Arthur's place.

Ocracoke is a neat place to stay and has a lot of history. It is like a seaside village. The lighthouse there was built in 1823 and is still in service. We had beautiful weather and I would have enjoyed the bike, but the cage did great and it was nice to not have to worry about packing or weather.

We had a wonderful time. I will try to attach some sunset and sunrise pictures.

RandyA

I took that ferry ride, back in 79! I was 20 with all the camping gear and a 12 yr old brother a Suzuki 550 could handle. My first road trip on a bike on my way to 33 days and 6600 miles! One of the deck hands, who looked like a mountain of a man approached me. He was quite intimidating! Turns at he was part of "Darby's Rangers" in WWII. He had seen my Ranger tshirt and wanted to share some memories with a fellow Ranger. What an honor!! Darby was know for wearing out his men with speed marches. This deck hand told me as a long distance runner they had not given him that much trouble. It was hard for me to picture this old man who looked like the front line of the Dallas Cowboys as a young greyhound.

I have been back to the Outer Banks in all these past years a few times. The place always has the mystique quality of bringing me back to my youth. I always wear a Ranger Shirt hoping for this man's grandson to approach and mention his grandfather. Hasn't happened but it is still an honor!! Thanks for those pictures and awakening my past!

Gee you coulda said something.

Anyway glad you had a good time. The weather was really nice while you were here. :whistling:

Margaret

Yeah, when we were last there with you guys, I had trailered the bike down and did get to ride some, until Tropical Storm Nicole came through, which I think only lacked a few miles per hour in being a cat 1 hurricane. Most of the roads on Ocracoke were like riding around in a river. I'm glad I had taken the car down then.

Linda and I talked about trying to do a meet & eat, but we were kind of winging it with only a few scheduled things. and we also wanted to come back 264 through Swan Quarter.

RandyA

Looks like you two had a lot better weather than we had last week on our bike ride..

Sure glad you two are enjoying life and each others companionship.

Beautiful pictures!!

Give Linda a hug and kick yourself in the pants for me.:rasberry:

Eck

Looks like you two had a lot better weather than we had last week on our bike ride..

Sure glad you two are enjoying life and each others companionship.

Beautiful pictures!!

Give Linda a hug and kick yourself in the pants for me.:rasberry:

Eck

We really did have beautiful weather. The long range forecast had a couple of days with rain and it just did not happen. I wish your trip could have been that good.

Yes, it was really nice to be down there with Linda. She is a lot of fun and enjoyable to be around. I do believe she is a keeper. :bighug:

I did almost mess up one time. Three years ago when I took the Maxima, I drove down the long sand road to the point to the beach and where it had rained, the sand was packed. I thought I would try that again with the Infiniti and when I got about 300 feet from the beach, it was no longer packed but soft. Before I could do anything, the bottom of the car was sitting on the sand. I rocked it a little and was able to get it moving back ever so slowly and was able to get back on firmer sand. Whew! I left a big imprint of the bottom of the car in the sand.

RandyA

WOW,, gorgeous pics!! I LOVE the sunset shot you got,, makes me cry inside to be back on the road again!! I could easily picture a little blue tent on the beach, chasing sand crabs around and just laying in the hot sand for a whole week - livin life my way... There are sooooo many beautiful places in our country,, its like its endless..

Glad you two lovebirds had a great time and thanks for sharing the memories with us!!

Awesome story - Way to go Randy!!

Puc

Oh yea,, we live 2 minutes from Lake Michigan and all of our two tracks around here are dune sand,, I carry one of those small cheap Harbor Freight compressors in our Kia's trunk so I can drop my tire pressures down to 5 pounds when I "need" to and am able to refill - works great for emergency sand running... Had far to many of those "imprints" happen to me :rotf::rotf::rotf: