IGNORED

$200 Barn find

Peder_y2k

No foolin.... found this 1987 Yamaha XV535 Virago on Craigslist for $200 and has 2100 original miles on it. Not ridden in 22 years but should clean up nicely. Has a 2.25 gal fuel tank that should get from one gas station to the next, provided the original tires hold up.......

-Pete, in Tacoma Wa USA

My wife had a 1996 model and loved it. It had an upper fuel tank and a lower fuel tank. The cool thing (like my VMax) was that it had an electric handlebar switch for the fuel reserve.

The carb diaphragms are famous for getting stiff over time. Hers got to where it would not run over 50. Replaced the diaphragms and it ran like a champ.

It's a short bike. I'm 5'9" and rode it some, but would have liked some more stretching room.

Had a '99 Virago 1100 SE up until about 2 years ago (hence my handle of XV1100SE which is the Virago model). Miss that bike but after riding the Venture it felt like a toy. Never had a problem with it.

Would like to find a Virago like you have for Nancy. Would be perfect for her as a first bike.

If it sat for 22 years I don't think I would want to trust those tires!

Did you actually get it or just see it on Craig's list.

I've seen lots of deals that are too good to be true.....identical ads posted in multiple cities.....SCAM!

Just wondering.

If it sat for 22 years I don't think I would want to trust those tires!

Did you actually get it or just see it on Craig's list.

I've seen lots of deals that are too good to be true.....identical ads posted in multiple cities.....SCAM!

Just wondering.

Spotted no image Craigslist post, and bought it with two crisp $100 bills. Brought my little air compressor along knowing tires were likely low, and they were so low the bike would not roll, so after inflation, loaded it my van and brought it home.

Will make it a winter project and teach my lady to ride, and also use it for local errands where my '88VR is cumbersome for short hauls.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Working on my barn find '87 Virago XV535 last used in '1991 .............

So I was siphoning the 22 year old fuel out of the gas tank, and it had no sour smell or yellowing color like modern gas that has a shelf life of 90 days.......... and I realized that 20 some years ago, gasoline formulation was way different from today. No ethanol, and maybe some tetraethel lead in there.

Absolutely zero rust in the tank, and the carbs are quite clean.

Closely examined the tube type OE tires, and they are 3ply nylon cord, with absolutely no evidence of sidewall or tread crazing and cracking, hold air and roll nicely, so I'll run them till they show evidence of non-fitness for service.

I'm amazed............

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA