IGNORED

Seat Ideas?

sjag18

Hi, I have a 2000 Venture with a recovered factory seat. I'm looking at putting a new seat on it and have looked at the Mustang, Corbin and even the newer style OEM factory pillow style of the newer Ventures. The Mustang and Corbin are priced about the same and the OEM is about twice as much (ouch!) I want to upgrade to a more comfortable seat. I know the newer pillow top is comfortable, but I don't know how the Mustang and Corbin compare. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Steve

Lots of information out there on seats. May depend on what type of riding you do. Stock seats are not to bad for short rides. I had a pillow top on mine which I really liked the first three years. After that it seemed like it changed and wasn't as comfortable after 300 or 400 miles a day. In Aug this year I finally went to a Day-Long and although I only have about 6000 miles on it, so far I'm very happy with it. They are built for long distance comfort, and I believe well worth the money.

Back in the day I worked in a trim shop, I have trim shops around here but in doing some really Custom work on my Roadstar no one could help me make a custom Speaker enclosure for a HD trunk but June's Upholstery in Michigan. I measured wrong and sold the first set to an HD guy seconds after I noticed. And June sent me a second set in 3 days.

This guy is freaking fantastic,!!!! If I had your problem, I would call him and send him my seats! He's 350 miles from me and they ONLY person I trust to do that kind of work.

http://stores.ebay.com/JUNES-UPHOLSTERY

He's on the net, e bay, and FB.

He posts pics of his work on FB all the time LOTS of satisfied seat people.

They guy seems to do the work because he ADORES it! Not just for the money! He's really reasonable on prices!

Back in the day I worked in a trim shop, I have trim shops around here but in doing some really Custom work on my Roadstar no one could help me make a custom Speaker enclosure for a HD trunk but June's Upholstery in Michigan. I measured wrong and sold the first set to an HD guy seconds after I noticed. And June sent me a second set in 3 days.

This guy is freaking fantastic,!!!! If I had your problem, I would call him and send him my seats! He's 350 miles from me and they ONLY person I trust to do that kind of work.

http://stores.ebay.com/JUNES-UPHOLSTERY

He's on the net, e bay, and FB.

He posts pics of his work on FB all the time LOTS of satisfied seat people.

They guy seems to do the work because he ADORES it! Not just for the money! He's really reasonable on prices!

I wished I worked at a trim shop. Mike you're a real lucky guy...

BTW, I believe it is called BUTT BUTLER, not buffer... And he happens to do a great job as well. Nice as can be.

Hi, I have a 2000 Venture with a recovered factory seat. I'm looking at putting a new seat on it and have looked at the Mustang, Corbin and even the newer style OEM factory pillow style of the newer Ventures. The Mustang and Corbin are priced about the same and the OEM is about twice as much (ouch!) I want to upgrade to a more comfortable seat. I know the newer pillow top is comfortable, but I don't know how the Mustang and Corbin compare. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Steve

Look into Hartco seats. I have had mine now for about 10 years and its still comfy. Im a big guy and the seat is deep dished and wide and the passenger seat is wider then stock as well. The rider backrest is also pretty large and comfy.

http://hartcoseats.com/YAMAHA/55/Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture/Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture/982.html

Steve

The pillow tops don't fit everyone so don't make that mistake. I know there'll be a lot of comments from riders how they think they're great, but not me, and I have the monkey butt scars to prove it. I've replaced the pillows on both of my 2ndGens with Corbins and they made a world of difference. I found one complete set on Craigslist and the other seat only on eBay. Both are like new at less than 1/2 of new price. So look around and be picky....

Once again, I have to recommend Diamond Custom for a seat to replace the stock seats. I tried Corbin and my wife has an Ultimate seat for her bike, neither of which even comes close to the seats I'm riding on. The pillow top is NOT comfortable by ANY stretch of the imagination. After 20-30 minutes it was like sitting on a board...no, that would be doing a disservice to the board. Seat needs to be firm enough to provide support, and shaped correctly so you can sit in it.

I had Rick Butler do his "Butt Butler Seat Mod" on my bike last year, '04 Midnight Venture. Did a 2000 mile trip in 5 days just after I got it back. It was great! Just did a 312 mile ride yesterday and could have ridden another 2-300 with no problem. The best part is that he is a member and charges only $40 for driver seat. Think it's $70 for both driver & passenger? You can find him and pictures of his work in the classifides under supporting vendors, Rick Butler. Check him out!

Once again, I have to recommend Diamond Custom for a seat to replace the stock seats. I tried Corbin and my wife has an Ultimate seat for her bike, neither of which even comes close to the seats I'm riding on. The pillow top is NOT comfortable by ANY stretch of the imagination. After 20-30 minutes it was like sitting on a board...no, that would be doing a disservice to the board. Seat needs to be firm enough to provide support, and shaped correctly so you can sit in it.

As mentioned by others, different rears fit different seats very differently. For YOU the stock seat might not be comfortable.

I personally find the stock pillow top to be quite comfortable. I am NOT a big guy though. before I had my seat redone by Rick Butler, I was able to do about 800-1000 miles in a day before starting to feel the tailbone burn. When I got on for a second or third day, the distance decreased by about 200 miles before feeling the burn again.

Rick Butler cut in the tailbone relief and replaced the old and worn out padding on my seat and I subsequently rode ~4k in 6 days with no pain or discomfort from the pillow top.

I now have a Corbin (that I cannot wait to get rid of) that is on my bike while my pillow top is being recovered (the fabric tore and I found a used Corbin here for a good price).

For me, the Corbin simply does not work. My rear does not have enough padding and is simply not shaped properly to match the Corbin's shape.

The Corbin is firm and shaped for someone that is a bit bigger framed than I am.

---

So to the O.P. If you are finding short trips uncomfortable on your pillow top, then yes, there is no way a long day would be comfortable on your pillow top.

My experience is limited to the Corbin, Stock pillow top and a modified pillow top.

:080402gudl_prv:

As mentioned by others, different rears fit different seats very differently. For YOU the stock seat might not be comfortable.

Yeah, that...and whether it's true, or just another dose of smoke, Diamond's propaganda is that they make their seats based on the "dimensions" of the rider. Either way, the stock seat kept me sitting on the tank with the twins under duress and had my butt begging for relief. The replacement doesn't. If I had to spend 700 miles a day on the original seat I'd be in tears.

If I was going with a new seat I wouldn't call anyone but Diamond seats

Most of yoyr problem is you have to get the butt use to setting in the seat I ride a 200 MM with a seat that has the butler mod and I can ride 600 miles a day without to much problem but I ride about 30, 000 miles a year so my rearend is accustomed to setting in the saddle. Good luck on your seat choice

I personally find the stock pillow top to be quite comfortable. I am NOT a big guy though.

:080402gudl_prv:

Same story here. I'm only about 155 & the stock pillow seat, to me, is absolutely wonderful. I've gone 850 miles & felt I could still have gone further with no problems. My caboose doesn't have much of its own padding, so, the pillow seat is perfect. Every caboose is different.

Find an upholsterer that will strip the seat cover and install a gel pad underneath. I did this way back in 2003 with a company called "Butt Buffer" and still use it today.

:farmer:

not hard to do yourself, get a gel pad and some memory foam , cut them in and restaple the seat with stainless steel staples and ride on. . .

or send it to Butler

I have had my OEM pillow top sent to Rick a few months after I started riding the RSV. I am fairly durable in the saddle, however this is a step further. I have been comfortable riding 7-8-900 miles easily with no soreness. But like the others have said, every backside is different...