IGNORED

Trailer Tire Question

VentureYZ

Just curious about what everyone is using for 12 inch trailer tires, radial or bias ply. I am going to change my 8 inchers out to 12 inch and being recommended to purchase radials. I have been running the 480-8 inch bias with no problem pulling the trailer behind my V-65 Sabre. The reason for the change is only to raise the trailer a bit (2 inch drop axle and 5 inches of ground clearance) before I make the hitch for the 87 Venture. Just was wondering what everyone is using cause I am thinking still 480-12 Kenda Loadstar bias ply load range c.

:2cents:

I have had several trailers that I have pulled for well over 40K miles with 8" tires. As long as your axle is strait and true, the small tires will perform great. As far as going to a C load range IMHO your wasting your money. I never ran any more than about 20 psi in the tires as it made them too bouncy and wears the center of the tread out prematurely.

Finding 12" trailer tires in Charleston SC on short notice was like pulling teeth but I found a local tire shop that had HI-RUN brand and the manager said they were good tires and after 4K miles they seem to be doing a good job.

Maximum Load Capacity - 480 lb.

Ply - 4

Size - 4.80-12

Tread Type - Ribbed

Warranty - Limited

Brand - Hi-Run

Huh, I would have strongly suggested radial tires for several reasons.

http://www.michelinag.com/Innovating/Radial-vs.-Bias-technology

I think you better check a little more. Why do you think radials are so popular and are factory on so many things now. Ask yourself whats the advantage of Bias ply? Seriously?

Now I only have a few million miles pulling trailers. Absolutely zero behind a bike though. But like I said, I would seriously check that out with some tire experts.

That is talking about a drive tire, not a trailer tire.

http://recstuff.com/radialvsbiasplytrailertires.aspx

If you don't pull the trailer for alot of miles, bias ply is less expensive and works fine.

I replace my trailer tires because they are old, I have never had one where the tread wore out. I have had a fine looking old tire blow out in the middle of no where and it took all day to get a spare and get back on the road.

Lessons learned change those bad boys even if they look fine and always carry a spare.

The load capacity of the side wall is very important in a trailer tire.

As far as sidewall load capacity, I don't think there is a tire made that could be overloaded behind a bike.

In an emergency once while on a trip, someone slashed the tires on my boat trailer. All I could find locally was car radial tires. I got those off as soon as I got home. Even though the weight rating was more than adequate, the trailer was bouncing and swaying all over the place, it just did not want to follow me. As soon as the correct tires were back on, all was good again.