IGNORED

Clutch fluid level

Hi folks. I have a 'new to me' 1989 Venture and there is still a lot of snow on the ground here. I just got it home recently, and fired it up as I just couldn't wait. My problem is I noticed the fluid level in the clutch reservoir is not visible. The clutch works, as I drove the bike onto the trailer to get it home. More than likely it is just low, and I should top it off. However, this bike has been sitting since last fall and I am thinking perhaps this fluid has leaked out since then. If I refill the reservoir, where would it be likely to leak out again, bottom near the clutch area? I am kinda ahead of myself looking for problems that may not be there, but everything else on the bike is up to snuff so it makes me wonder. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can get a rebuild kit from Rick at Buckeye Performance about as cheap as eBay plus you get a VentureRider discount as well as being able to call him with questions. Rick is very knowledgeable on our bikes. If you do rebuild it go ahead and order the oil seal for the push rod! No point having to go back in a few thousand miles later (like I had to do)!

GeorgeS stated

"Yes, add fluid, and bleed it thru enough that you have replaced All of the Old fluid.

Use Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid."

GeorgeS, is it OK to put Valvoline synthetic brake fluid on top of DOT3 (IIRC) fluid that the manual calls for. Just keep bleeding until the new liquid shows in drain hose? Or do I have to drain all the old clutch fluid before adding synthetic?

BradT states "Could be the slave cylinder. Mine leaked a little while it sat (winter), but stopped when i started riding again."

I am confused! What or where is the slave cylinder on the clutch?? I have looked through my service manual (for earlier 1st gen bikes) bike I cannot find any reference to a slave cylinder. Is this where the bled valve is located?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

The slave cylinder is located inside the l/h riders footpeg. It is under a rubber cover, with the bleeder fitting sticking out the top,the bleeder fitting should be covered with a rubber cap.

Still cant fnd it? it is to the rear of the aluminum side cover that has the 1300 sign on it, and forward of the middle gear side cover. middle gear cover is inside your l/h heel when riding You should place a piece of plastic hose over the end of the fitting. then pump the clutch lever a few times holding it to the grip and then opening the fitting,to allow fluid to run out the hose. DO BE VERY CAREFULL BRAKE FLUID WILL DESTROY PAINT AND PLASTIC PARTS.COVER THE CASSETTE AND RADIO WITH THICK TOWELS AND DONT LET IT SOAK THRU.

I clean out the resivoir and wipe the bottom of the resivoir with a clean rag ,this is where the crud settles. Fill it and keep pumping fluid thru till is comes out clean and clear. Do the bleeding in a sequence of pump , hold ,open bleeder, close bleeder,pump,hold,open bleeder, on on on till the fluid it clear.

It takes longer to read this than it does to do the job. The clutch lever should feel light resistance as it is compressed,and the engine should be disconnected from the transmission when it is fully compressed.

Bill P

Thanks BillP. That is where I thought it should be. Just got off the phone from the previous owner. He had no clutch fluid level problems, and he was using DOT4 not the DOT3 as recommended by the manual. Perhaps I do not need to go to synthetic if DOT4 is now in the system? What are your thoughts?

Man I have so many questions about this bike. I don't know if I should start one big thread on all my questions, or just keep sneaking the odd question here and there in this forum. :confused24: Oh well, winter is here for at least another month. By then I should have most of the answers, and maybe have the bike in my own garage so I can work on it. Right now it is stored at a buddy's garage, while he is down enjoying the Arizona weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the clutch resvoir question. My fluid level was down in the reservoir, and the previous owner again verified he had no problems with it. So, I added fluid. After a bit, I noticed fluid weeping out between the reservoir and the lid. Took it apart again, everything looks good. The only thing I noticed was that the rubber gasket/bladder tended to pull away from the back edge....and could cause a leak I suppose. So, can I get a replacement seal, or do I have to buy the whole clutch reservoir? Our local Yamaha dealer leaves a bit to besired. They are an implement dealer that took over the Yamaha franchise. Great for buying new bikes etc but not too knowledgeable regarding the 'older but better' bikes.

The rubber bellows is called a diaphragm.

Yamaha number:

26H-25854-00-00 DIAPHRAGM, reservoir

They probably have to order it.

I thought mine was worn, I cleaned it up REAL good and eased it into position and it sealed fine. You have the eyes on this one.

Mike

• 6 months later...

The 88 I just got is showing the same thing. The rubber is trying to move away from the seal. Probably where the air got in. They are bring it over on a trailer Sat. So I'm syked to spend a good couple hours going over the bike, and see what needs to be done. At least what I can figure out. Me and the OP will most likely be seeing alot of the same stuff.Thanks in advance for all the help you guys will provide.