IGNORED

Tire Question

stickhandle2

Wondering if I could jump in with a question and maybe get some of your guidance. I have Avon Venoms on my 02 right now, the front is ok but the back is looking like it may be time to replace shortly, I am considering staying with the Venoms as alot of my riding is two up. The Venoms I have now have whitewalls and I really like the look of them, but I can't seem to find any Venoms to fit the scoot with white walls. Can I mix different brands front and rear?

With my bike being lowered at the back it is hard to see the whitewalls on the rear tire and I am thinking it may just be better to stay with the Venom and learn to live with the black wall.

The question is a bit trivial but am just wondering.

Mike.

With my bike being lowered at the back it is hard to see the whitewalls on the rear tire and I am thinking it may just be better to stay with the Venom and learn to live with the black wall.

The question is a bit trivial but am just wondering.

Mike.

That's the reasoning I used on the '99. I even went with black up front too. They grow on you.... :) It is OK to mix brands. I ran my '83 with a Venom on the front and an EII on the rear for 5000 miles before finally installing the rear Venom. Even though I'd bought them both at the same time.

AS long a simular tread pattern and construction. Dont mix bias ply and radial. You may be able to get a Shinko in a wide whitewall. I personnaly dont care for them. Takes to much time out of riding to clean them, and they allways look dingy with brake dust.

I have run Dunlop 404 WWW for many miles. I have good luck with them and they suit my riding. Trailers, one up, two up, highway hills etc...

CAn you just change levelling links to raise it back up. Brake location should not matter

Brad

Edited by BradT

I know the manufacturers sites advise not to mix, only run a matched set. Back will usually go first right down the middle.

ACTUALLY......Manufacturers are putting out bikes with radials and bias tires from the factory... I believe the Star Raider has a radial on the back and a bias up front... I have 40,000 miles plus with a Car tire Radial on the rear of my RSV with NO issues... Your information is outdated... That USED to be the recommendation...

ACTUALLY......Manufacturers are putting out bikes with radials and bias tires from the factory... I believe the Star Raider has a radial on the back and a bias up front... I have 40,000 miles plus with a Car tire Radial on the rear of my RSV with NO issues... Your information is outdated... That USED to be the recommendation...

It's not about radials and bios ply, and I know that manufacturers are putting both on bikes. It's about the compound of the rubber and the style of the tire. (design and function) and those recommendations are current. Even within manufacturers it's not advisable to run with a Dunlop 404 on the front and E3 on the rear and visa versa.

Bias vs. Radial

"Not all tires are created equally. Or rather, not all tires are created in the same way. Bias and radial tires are both very different in the ways they are made and, unless approved by either the motorcycle or tire manufacturer, they should not be mixed on the same bike. Because of the differences in the way they are constructed, the two types of tires both have different advantages and disadvantages and most motorcycles are designed to work with one or the other. Trying to switch up the tires will most likely lead to more disadvantages than improvement in ride quality."

2 - Front and Rear Tire Matching http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/care-and-maintenance/

Remember, the correct matching of front and rear tires is important to obtain optimum performance and handling. Follow the Tire Selection guidelines.

Mount only tires marked “front wheel” on the front position and only tires marked “rear wheel” on the rear position.

A new front tire with a worn rear tire can cause instability.

Mixing radials, or mixing radials with bias or belted-bias tires, may adversely affect handling and stability, and should only be done when specifically fitted and/or recommended by an OE vehicle manufacturer. It should be noted that many factors other than tire incompatibility can affect the handling of a motorcycle, including the weight and height of the rider, mixing worn with unworn tires and the fitment of luggage or fairings. Consult the motorcycle manufacturer before making modifications from stock.

Can I mix tyre construction front to rear? http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/

Yes, but only to the combinations below:-

Front Rear

Radial Radial

Bias Radial

X-ply Radial

Bias Bias

X-ply Bias

X-ply X-ply

I have run Dunlop 404 WWW for many miles. I have good luck with them and they suit my riding. Trailers, one up, two up, highway hills etc...

Brad

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I've had Dunlop D404 WWW on several bikes including my '07 Venture. Work great and fit my riding style

Dacheeta, You just saved me from having to post that. A Raider comes right from factory mixed as well as a lot of HD, and of course Running Darkside, I've run a mix. The mixing thing is for vehicles with more than two wheels, then it can be a problem. Like on a car.

Dacheeta, You just saved me from having to post that. A Raider comes right from factory mixed as well as a lot of HD, and of course Running Darkside, I've run a mix. The mixing thing is for vehicles with more than two wheels, then it can be a problem. Like on a car.

That was ME telling Dach about the Raider...

It's not about radials and bios ply, and I know that manufacturers are putting both on bikes. It's about the compound of the rubber and the style of the tire. (design and function) and those recommendations are current. Even within manufacturers it's not advisable to run with a Dunlop 404 on the front and E3 on the rear and visa versa.

Bias vs. Radial

"Not all tires are created equally. Or rather, not all tires are created in the same way. Bias and radial tires are both very different in the ways they are made and, unless approved by either the motorcycle or tire manufacturer, they should not be mixed on the same bike. Because of the differences in the way they are constructed, the two types of tires both have different advantages and disadvantages and most motorcycles are designed to work with one or the other. Trying to switch up the tires will most likely lead to more disadvantages than improvement in ride quality."

2 - Front and Rear Tire Matching http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/care-and-maintenance/

Remember, the correct matching of front and rear tires is important to obtain optimum performance and handling. Follow the Tire Selection guidelines.

Mount only tires marked “front wheel” on the front position and only tires marked “rear wheel” on the rear position.

A new front tire with a worn rear tire can cause instability.

Mixing radials, or mixing radials with bias or belted-bias tires, may adversely affect handling and stability, and should only be done when specifically fitted and/or recommended by an OE vehicle manufacturer. It should be noted that many factors other than tire incompatibility can affect the handling of a motorcycle, including the weight and height of the rider, mixing worn with unworn tires and the fitment of luggage or fairings. Consult the motorcycle manufacturer before making modifications from stock.

Can I mix tyre construction front to rear? http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/

Yes, but only to the combinations below:-

Front Rear

Radial Radial

Bias Radial

X-ply Radial

Bias Bias

X-ply Bias

X-ply X-ply

No offense Dach but most of your post sounds like Manufacturer's Psycho Babble that they print up in the event of a lawsuit and to sell more tires... Most of that stuff is pure crap.. You see in the REAL world Bikers try stuff and learn from others that have tried stuff... That's what we're doing here right here in this thread.. Most of us don't want quotes off some Manufacturers website... We want REAL experiences.. But since you seem to be enamored with the Tire Manufacturer's so called information (BS Disclaimer)... Look up on the Metzeller site where it says you CAN run a REAR tire on the FRONT (Contrary to your post) as long as you mount it with the direction arrow going backwards... I know I saw it there and I'm living proof that it can be done... I've done it a few times... I run a Dunlop 404 150/80-16 REAR fire on the front of my RSV with no ill effects... It gives me 3/16 more rubber than a front and increases my load range...

Moral of the story... Let's pay a little more attention to Real World Experiences and a little less to the agenda driven manufacturer's disclaimers... THAT'S what this and other Forums are about... Rant over..

• 11 months later...

Currently running Avon Cobra Radial on front and a Michelin Commander II on rear. No problems! At other times have had Kumho Powerstar radial (car tire)on back and a Dunlop 404 on front

Had a Avon Cobra radial on front and a Kumho Powerstar radial on back. I ain't saying nothing. I'm just saying.

Ibuy at Jake Wilson but then they are only an hour away from me also. BTW On my RSTD I did run a WWW on the front and a Blk wall on the back. It was ok but you could twll there was no WWW there. I thought it really changed the look when I went to WWW front and back even tho you could only see a little of the tire

As to rear m/c rear tires on the front I am currently running a Bridgestone Battleax rear on the front. I have run them mounted backward and forwards and in my experience it makes no difference. Your experience may differ.:stirthepot::whistling: