IGNORED

Clutch Not Working

Royal MN

1. Bleed clutch at slave, lower left behind stator cover there should be a 2" square black rubber cover over bleed port. Bleed a bunch of DOT 3 or 4 fluid through it, like 2 or 3 reservoirs worth. The clutch fluid is often neglected.

2. Possible could be bad seals in master or slave

3. There is a very tiny hole in bottom of master, nest to a larger hole. Tiny hole sometimes plugs up. Hole is about needle size.

Gary

The clutch slave cyl sometimes leaks and the fluid goes onto the exhaust collector and burns off.

So you never actually see the puddle. But if your master cyl is dry it had to go somewhere right?

It's not a big job to change the Slave Cyl.

I even did it myself and I am a long way from mechanically talented.

The biggest issue is finangleing the new cyl. into place. Some play around for hours....me? It just seemed to fall into place.

Sounds like the slave seal. It can leak and the DOT 3 will run into the clutch housing and then into the engine oil.

With all due respects Jack, this is a long shot.

It would take two seal failures for this to happen. The push rod seal in the crankcase would have to fail, and the slave seal would need to fail.

There is not a seal between the clutch slave body and the crankcase, by this I mean there is a slight air gap between these two assemblies. This gap may or may not be bridged by the clutch slave dust cover seal. Even if dust seal did bridge gap, the block does not have a machined surface at the point it would contact it, thus providing a seal that was good to a higher pressure than the block push rod seal.

Few pictures attached.

Not saying it is impossible, but in my opinion unlikely.

Gary

Not saying it is impossible, but in my opinion unlikely.

Gary

I understand Gary, but can you come up with a better idea of where the fluid is going besides dripping on the collector and looking like a mosquito abatement rig??? I'm certainly all ears.... Unless we are standing there and looking at it all we can do is make is an educated guess.

With all due respects Jack, this is a long shot.

It would take two seal failures for this to happen. The push rod seal in the crankcase would have to fail, and the slave seal would need to fail.

Gary

I agree, plus you would have to have a vacuum inside the engine to suck the brake fluid in to the engine.

My guess is that when this does happen, the system has been neglected for some time, and has been leaking, but just enough not to notice on the floor, or in puffs of smoke while running. It would have sit and idle for some time on the side stand for a very slow leak to show up,,, just asked Scamper how she does it.