IGNORED

Forum Change

Freebird

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on board with the changes. I always had an issue with the old way. Posts were marked read, even if I didn't read them. Confusing.

This way is more intuitive; if I haven't read the thread then it remains unread.

This new way is more inline with the way all the other vBulletin forums that I occasion are run. :thumbsup2:

Now if we could only get the MORE button fixed, we would be cooking with gas !!!

:stickpoke: :stirthepot: :buttkick: :think: :puzzled: :bang head: :soapbox: :rotfl: :confused24: :backinmyday: :crying: :sign cmon: :feedback: :no-no-no: :2cents: :080402gudl_prv:

Gary

You are the ONLY person who has ever even mentioned the more button. I'm not even sure what is wrong with it. When I click on more, it opens a menu at the bottom so you can advance to more pages.

You are the ONLY person who has ever even mentioned the more button. I'm not even sure what is wrong with it. When I click on more, it opens a menu at the bottom so you can advance to more pages.

I know for sure MiCarl has my back on this one.

What is aggravating about it is when you are on the 1st page of posts and want to go to the 2nd page, simply click on the More button. But then it takes you back to the top of the page, forcing a scroll down to get to the now displayed other pages.

Just chaffing your butt old man, I know you have looked into it. But the VMaxForum.net doesn't have a more button, and it is running "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2".

If I didn't whine now and then you would be worried about my 12 bucks, thinking I didn't care.

:sign cmon:

Gary

vmaxforum doesn't really have a HOME page. You go straight to the forum. You can do that here if you want to. Just set http://www.venturerider.org/forum as the link to the site here. The listing on the home page were never really intended to be used as the main page of the forum, just a list of what is happening. I also come straight to the forum when I log in.

vmaxforum doesn't really have a HOME page. You go straight to the forum. You can do that here if you want to. Just set http://www.venturerider.org/forum as the link to the site here. The listing on the home page were never really intended to be used as the main page of the forum, just a list of what is happening. I also come straight to the forum when I log in.

Another idea, since VMaxforum doesn't have a "home page" a short cut has been used to provide a list of all new posts when the text:

"www.vmaxforum.net/search.php?do=getdaily&days=3"

This brings up the all new posts since my last visit, up to 3 days I think. It is stored as a shortcut in Firefox, all I have to do is type in one letter and it pops up in browser window. Probably need to be a member or similar for it to know your last visit though, so it may not work same for others.

I have tried it here with substituting venturerider.org, but it does not work.

Screen capture of what is displayed on VMax site when text is typed in.

Your doing fine Don, you were the one that brought out the invitation for comments.

Gary

But where does your setup take you when you click on the 'HOME' in first menu bar at top, or the VentureRider.org at top left of screen, or the VentureRider.org at bottom right of any window?

All of these take me back to the page I showed in #13 post?

I looked in usercp and didn't see a setting for linking to page you recommend.

Bet your likin' MiniMuffin' more and more right now !!! She never causes you any grief like this !!

Gary

mine takes me to the links for each forum like watering hole is the first ah how do you do a screen shot i could do one and post it but i have never done that :confused24:

I have windows 7 and it is called Snipping Tool, part of the windows package. On mine it's under Start Button, All Programs, Accessories. I have put a shortcut on toolbar.

I also use Snagit from TechSmith, if it's on my screen, I can save it.

Gary

I have to back Gary on this one. It's not marking them read when I read them and I don't see a way to mark an individual thread read.

Wouldn't it be better the old way with the time until they are auto marked set way (infinitely?) long?

DITTO.... They did this on another board I read occasionally and didn't like it at all. They finally went back to the old way...

I have windows 7 and it is called Snipping Tool, part of the windows package. On mine it's under Start Button, All Programs, Accessories. I have put a shortcut on toolbar.

I also use Snagit from TechSmith, if it's on my screen, I can save it.

Gary

I have 7 I will check it I killed my battery on my laptop so I will do that once I get home and on the charger

I know for sure MiCarl has my back on this one.

What is aggravating about it is when you are on the 1st page of posts and want to go to the 2nd page, simply click on the More button. But then it takes you back to the top of the page, forcing a scroll down to get to the now displayed other pages.

Just chaffing your butt old man, I know you have looked into it. But the VMaxForum.net doesn't have a more button, and it is running "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2".

If I didn't whine now and then you would be worried about my 12 bucks, thinking I didn't care.

:sign cmon:

Gary

OK folks, I ask you to do something for me. Try it this way for 3 or 4 more days and if you truly don't get used to it or just don't like it, I'll change it back. This is a much more accurate way of marking what you have done but in the end, it's more important what YOU like.

Gary,

Venturerider.org has a home page. Your VMAX site does not have a home page. When you go to their site, you go straight to the forum. You can do the exact same thing here by going to http://www.venturerider.org/forum Just go to that link and then add it to your bookmarks and you are doing the same thing you do there. Then there is the same shortcut that you are talking about in the menu bar that says "New Posts". You can go directly to that page if you prefer by simply adding THIS link to your bookmarks: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/search.php?do=getnew That link will take you to the same "new posts" messages that you see at your vmax forum and there will be NO "More" button. You are simply confusing our Home Page with their Forum. Their forum and this forum basically work the exact same way and I THINK they are using the same "thread read" marking system that I have it set to now.

As for the links on the page that you are talking about. Those take you to the home page as they should. If you want to return directly to the forum, don't click those links. click the link in the menu bar of the forum that says "Forum". It's at the far left of the lower menu bar at the top of the page. It's at the far left of the menu bar at the bottom of the page after you post a message.