IGNORED

Just shy of 2000 km on the Vic

SilvrT

Just about to flip the 2000 km mark so figured I'd update y'all.

First of all, I've still got a big grin on my face. For me, this bike is the best of all bikes I've owned.

Some Pros:

• Handling is effortless, especially at slow speeds. You can crank that front wheel a long way and get a really sharp turn.
  • Rider ergonomics / comfort is excellent although I did add a backrest. The floorboards are massive and allows for lots of variance in foot/leg positioning.
  • The brake and shifter are 3-position adjustable (fore/aft) by simply removing a bolt and sliding to the next position. The shifter requires modification to the linkage shaft if you move the shifter to the rear position.
  • Those adjustable upper and lower wind wings are great; however, I'm having difficulty reaching down with my left arm to adjust the right side while blasting down the freeway at 120 km/h :whistling: :rotf:
  • Now that it's partially broken in (still needs another 1000-1500 kms), it's smoothing out and I'm tapping into the power a bit more. It has plenty of "get up and go". I'm finding that it likes to run around the 2500-3000 rpm in most any gear and will tend to lug below 2000 although you can "cruise" along easilly at 2000 rpm ... you just don't want to crank it on. I've wound it up to 4000 a couple of times ... red lines at 5200. I've not yet twisted the throttle all the way when "getting on it" so it's hard to comment on it's acceleration ability although 2/3 throttle twist is impressive.
  • Stereo is impressive and has a built-in iPod connection so you can control your iPod from the hand controls by the left grip. Nina says this is the first bike she's actually been able to hear the music clearly on.
  • Passenger comfort (according to Nina) is quite good although a more "voluptuous" lady might have difficulty with the driver back rest installed.
  • Wind buffeting is very minimal. Nina says her sunglasses (which are the over-your-eyeglasses kind) don't bounce around from the wind anymore.

Some Cons:

• This is a V-twin that is solid mounted to the frame. In fact, the engine is considered part of the frame. Even though it is counter-balanced, some vibration is felt when you crank it on. Additionally, engine sounds resonate thru the frame and the gas tank so again, when you crank it on you can really hear the engine. For average "cruising" though about all you can hear is the "puff-puff" sound of the throttle body and the mufflers.
  • The paint is not of the highest quality IMO as it is very susceptible to minor scuffing. I suppose in time and with more waxing jobs it might not be so bad. That said though, it's easy to polish those things out.
  • Used Accessories for this bike are non-existant and OEM and 3rd party ones are still very expensive. For example, I just ordered a trailer hitch and wiring isolator from Bushtec ... $452 shipped to Blaine, WA. The mounting bracket for the driver backrest was $120. Passenger grab handles another $300 !!! I haven't ordered one "yet" but the trunk rack will run me close to $500 !! geeeesh ... do they think they're in the same league as a Hardley?? :confused24:

Those are the only CONs I can come up with. As for the PROs ... there's more but figured I'd save some for another time :whistling:

Did I say I REALLY LIKE this bike???

:smile5: :smile5: :smile5:

Guest tx2sturgis

Thanks for the report.

I have a buddy who is looking at new HD Road Kings, and I have tried to get him to at least look at the Victory, maybe take a test ride. He seems stuck in the HD world, even though he has seen the trouble many of us have had with the twinky motor. His good ole reliable 1998 Evo-powered Fatboy has been fairly trouble-free, so he is sure the new ones will be. Yeah, right.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've taken a few Vics on demo rides, and really like the Cross Country.

As a side note, I'm enjoying the Ural, (just over 4100 kms) although it is an entirely different type of motorcycle, not comparable in any way to ashpalt-gulping road sofas.

I love my Venture, but if something ever happens to it, stolen, wrecked, or whatever, I will have to look seriously at the Victory, or maybe even the Honda F6B....both are sweet machines.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Not sure how hot it can get up where you're at, but I have a concern about it being air cooled, and the corrosponding engine heat that might come from the motor during the hot days of summer. Down here in the south, it's not uncommon to hear about air cooled bikes putting off a lot of heat from the heads during the summer, and sometimes needing to stop and let the bike cool down when riding at slower speeds for an extended time.

Beautiful bike though. I'm really glad you're happy with your purchase.

Glad it is working out so well for you Rick, the adjustments you can make to have the bike fit you can be huge. I do the demo ride and I get to ride it and that is it. If you have places where your jeans are scuffing there is always the 3M clear decal that can go in places.

I have last week of June off I may be over on the mainland riding. Not sure if I should go south or north and east.

I have still got a love hate relationship going with the 2nd generation. 1st gen is on kijji and usedeverywhere.

Not sure how hot it can get up where you're at, but I have a concern about it being air cooled, and the corrosponding engine heat that might come from the motor during the hot days of summer. Down here in the south, it's not uncommon to hear about air cooled bikes putting off a lot of heat from the heads during the summer, and sometimes needing to stop and let the bike cool down when riding at slower speeds for an extended time.

Beautiful bike though. I'm really glad you're happy with your purchase.

I'm on 2 different Victory forums and yes, there's some complaints about the heat from those "down south" when sitting in stop and go traffic; however, those who've come from the HD world say it isn't as bad as the HD.

As for the bike overheating.... not an issue on the Vic as they've done a very good job of engine cooling engineering. It's not only air cooled... it also has a good sized oil cooler.

What some guys are doing is removing the catalytic convertors. Those are directly under the engine where the crossover is and they produce massive amounts of heat, which is where a lot of what you feel is coming from. Removing the cats makes a big difference apparently. We don't get a lot of the really hot weather around here but I have noticed the heat on those few warmer days we've had so far ... not enough to bother me though but summer is not here yet so we'll see ... I may gut those cats.

Just wondering what your opinion is on the shifting. When I demoed one a couple of years ago I thought it felt like it was clunking into gear. Not really a smooth shift. A salesman at the Toronto Bike show last winter said they have made improvements in that area.

Just wondering what your opinion is on the shifting. When I demoed one a couple of years ago I thought it felt like it was clunking into gear. Not really a smooth shift. A salesman at the Toronto Bike show last winter said they have made improvements in that area.

From what I understand, the current models are better than they were a few years ago but...

Yes, they clunk, especially going into 1st. 2nd and 3rd aren't too bad and the shifting method and rpm play a role in that. I've found I can shift up or down in those gears without much clunking at all. 4th, 5th, 6th ... little to no clunking at all.

Everyone reports this to be "normal and don't worry about it" ... so I don't.

Just like every other bike out there, they all have certain little "quirks". Ya just have to either accept them or move on. I've accepted the quirks which are ... the clunk into 1st, the engine sounds when hard accelerating, the ..... ummmmmmmm ... geeez, can't think of any more :scratchchin: :cool10:

One other PRO I didn't mention and since we're talking about the tranny and besides the fact that it is a constant mesh straight-cut gear set .... is the "positive" neutral. Meaning, it is very easy to get neutral on this bike but I haven't had a situation where I've been upshifting from 1st to 2nd and hitting neutral instead.

Couple other PROs:

Speed indicator is accurate with GPS

Cruise control works very well.

Fuel economy is averaging 45 mpg US (that's over 50 imperial)

The CON to that is I'm using 91 octane which is what it calls for. One can use a lower grade as long as the engine doesn't start pinging. I ran some 89 octane for a tank and didn't see any difference.

Everyone reports this to be "normal and don't worry about it" ... so I don't.

Gary you rode Rhonda's Victory it clunks a little as well but that is the way it is. I am sure nothing to worry about.

Still lots of positives to put up with a little clunking.

Glad your enjoying it.

Brad

Guest tx2sturgis
Rick, you got 2000 kilometers already. That is great.

What did you do on the second day ? :rotf:

:backinmyday:

This:

:mytruck1:

:stirthepot:

• 1 month later...
Heat aint bad on the Vics. Talk to a Voyager owner.

Well, I'm at 5500+ km's now and the bike is feeling nicely broken in. It's smoothed out quite a lot since brand new. Tranny shifting has quieted down although it still clunks going into 1st... no biggie.

It does produce quite a bit of heat and mostly just below the passenger's footboards. The cure for that is to remove the Catalytic converters (which I did) and that makes quite a difference.

I've also added a Lloydz hi-flow air filter.

Now that it's nicely broken in, I've been able to wind it up a few times and let me tell you.... these bikes are QUICK!

Big test is coming in a couple weeks when we hook up the tent trailer and head off for holidays. Here's where we're going to park our butts for a week of R&R

http://www.loonbayresort.com/

btw, did I mention I really, really love this Vic? :whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis

I like that youre keeping us up to date on the new ride...and not just disappearing...

(we hope Don does the same...right?)

That Loon Bay looks like a nice place for some R&R...but the website is also in Dutch? Is that common around there? Dutch speaking people I mean.

Hey one more thing: I dont think you have mentioned it yet...do you get people walking up and asking what kinda bike that is, or 'hey, nice Harley'?

Just wondering what the general reaction of local observers is.

Thanks.

I like that youre keeping us up to date on the new ride...and not just disappearing...

(we hope Don does the same...right?)

That Loon Bay looks like a nice place for some R&R...but the website is also in Dutch? Is that common around there? Dutch speaking people I mean.

Hey one more thing: I dont think you have mentioned it yet...do you get people walking up and asking what kinda bike that is, or 'hey, nice Harley'?

Just wondering what the general reaction of local observers is.

Thanks.

RE: Dutch ... we have all kinds of "foreign speaking" folk in this country and Dutch are quite common. That said, it's not so common to see Dutch / English business websites.

We get quite a lot of compliments on the bike and often from folks who aren't riders. No, it's not been mistaken for a Harley... yet LOL but every Harley rider we come across are very complimentary and generally quite interested ... even had a couple of the "Angels" come over one day and ask questions and compliment.

Most of those who are "not in the know" about bikes don't know about Victory tho and sometimes when I say they are made by Polaris, they relate that to snow machines and think it's Canadian ... (mistaken for Bombardier).

We just returned home from another great "day ride" ... now just a tad under the 6000 km mark!!

Economy is currently at 18.3 km/l or 51.7 mpg Imperial / 43 mpg US riding 2 up and varied speeds but generally around 115-125 km/h on the freeway and 90-115 on the secondary roads.