IGNORED

Tire Question - I know, I know. I'm sorry!

petekadish

Tire questions are just about as worn out as clutch whine questions for us. So I appologize. And, of course the subject of tire preference has already been discussed at length. But, I'm not looking for tire brand opinions right now. I already know what I want. This season, I just want to try out a specific new tire to see how I like it, and what I am looking for, is a reliable vendor with a great price.

I understand that the subject of tire preference has already been discussed at length for years now. But, I'm not looking for tire brand opinions right now. I already know what I want. This season, I just want to try out a specific new tire to see how I like it, and what I am looking for, is a reliable vendor with a great price.

Because I have neither the time, experience or the proper tools to pull the wheels myself, I will have to bring my '07 Venture in to the dealer to change the tires. The price they charge to change both tires makes me cringe - $161 (and that's just for labor!) I know what is involved, and that it takes time. But still . . . Ouch!

These are the tires I want to buy.

Dunlop Elite IIIs

150/80/16 Front $164

150/90/15 Rear $191

These are my local dealer's prices (including a 10% STAR discount):

So, the total cost for these tires & installation = $516 (Not including tax).

I don't think that I will find a better price around here for the labor. So, I'm trying to save some money on the tires. I have done a lot of on-line searching, but I'm having difficulty finding vendors who carry this specific brand, model and size(s).

Can anyone offer me some recommendations for vendors who for sure have these tires in the size I am looking for?

I have already checked the websites for:

SouthWest Moto (No telephone number)

American Moto Tire (No telephone number)

And, I couldn't find the right sizes.

Okay guys, what do you think?

Thanks & Be Safe! Pete.

I've bought tires from ronayers.com before. They sell your size for the front , but don't list your size for the rear. It might just take a call is all to find out if they can get it. They were fast and reasonable. Telephone # 1-800-888-3084.:2cents:

just ordered same models from Dunlop .

Elite III for the RSV , went for smaller size in the front . Ordered them from this place ,, http://www.onoffroad.com/ total cost for both of them shipped here in Canada ( 226.00 $ for the tires and 79.00$ shipping ) for installation I got a place here that does the job for 25.00$ a piece the wheels of the bike .

I would call every dealer in town, also might be an independant bike parts place. You should be able to find a better price then that for labor.

Check the local yellow pages.

Especially if you can pull the wheels yourself, and take them in.

Also remember, the Elite III series, will most likley go almost twice the miles as the Dunlop D-404, ( the lowest price Dunlops ) .

So, you effectivly 1/2 the labor cost.

I recently bought a pair of E-3s for my Goldwing the best prices I found anywhere were from http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm Their phone number is right out in the open on the front page: 1-800-628-4737. This makes 2 sets of tires I've ordered from them and I've gotten very good deals and superior service and shipping.

autopilot

petekadish,

Last week, my dealer quoted me for the Elite III (just quoted, I have not bought yet):

Front 150/8016 $79.00

Rear MV85B15 $106.00

Tires only, not installed.

Grand Prix Motorsports, Inc.

3105 W. County Line Rd.

Littleton, CO 80129

303-761-2471

grandprixmotorsports.com

Today, I just got a set of E3s on my wing, new brakes pads installed, speedo cable, differential lube & season check, for $503. [including tax] and done in 2hrs 10 mins from the local dealer, who doesn't know me.

They charge $100. to mount both tires, but if you bring your own tires the mounting charge is $185.

I just got my tires delivered today from Southwest MOTO

305303 Avon Venom 150/80HB-16 Front 1 $124.95

$124.95

305321 Avon Venom 150/90HB-15 Rear 1 $129.95

$129.95

Shipping: SWMT Shipping:

$0.00

Sales Tax:

$0.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total:

$254.90

Action cycle tires is the place here in Vegas that will mount & balance them for 35.00 each front & Rear.

Great place to shop but they could not beat the price of SWM but they were close and if I had not ordered them already I would of bought them there.

I also got front brake pads and sense the tire is off he is going to put the brakes on for me............................Ron

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I finally got things figured out this afternoon. Apparently, one of the tires that I want is a pretty new model and many of the vendors and dealers don't have any record of it's existence. Consequently, half of the vendors I contacted told me that there was no such thing. The other half of the vendors told me that one tire was available, but not the other. So, out of frustration, I called Dunlop myself and asked them if the Tour Elite IIIs were available in a Bias-ply for my 2007 Venture. Of course, he said. he then told me that if a vendor doesn't show it listed then they should contact their distributor.

I then re-contacted some of the vendors which had previously thought I didn't know what I was talking about, and told them what I had found.

This is what I am ordering:

Make: Yamaha

Model: XVZ13TF 99-08

Royal Star Venture

Front Rim Size: 3.50x16

Rear Rim Size: 4.00x15

Front Tire:

Elite3

Size 150/80-16

Loaded PSI: 36

Rear Tire:

Elite3

Size MV85B15

Loaded PSI: 40

American Motorcycle Tire Sales told me that because it is a new model tire, and they weren't aware of it, they couldn't offer me any rates or post it on their web site for another week.

Southwest Moto Tires admitted that I was right, and told me that they had just up-dated their web site and posted their prices with the new information. This is the price they offer them for:

Front $126.95

Rear $108.95

Total $234.00

Even with the 10% discount offered by my local dealer, the difference between them and South-West Moto is $121.00.

I then called the dealer back and spoke with the service manager. I asked him for a break on the $161 labor fee for removing my old tires and putting on the new ones. I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask. He then offered to do the job for $121, which was a little better.

I then asked him if he would give me that same price if I brought in my own tires. I even told him that I found a much better price on the tires than what their parts department offered to sell them to me. And ..., He said sure. Apparently he didn't care if they sold me the tires. So, I told him I would get the tires myself and bring them in (on the bike), as soon as it stops snowing long enough to ride.

So, the end result is, that I found the tires I wanted and at a better price. The dealer agreed to work with me by discounting their labor a bit, and by not jacking-up the cost of their labor because I am supplying my own tires.

It's refreshing to see a little customer service, or some compromise to help a good customer. I told this dealer that I really want to give them my business, but that they need to make us want to do business with them. I don't have any problem with dealers making money. That's why they are in business. By I don't want to pay more than I have too if I don't feel like they are taking good care of me, and that they value my business. So, it looks like everything will work out.

Now, we have to do something about this weather. Pray for an early spring!

Thanks again everybody!

Be Safe! Pete.:)