IGNORED

Two questions!!

Oh the "fun" of putting goodies on our bikes!!

First Question!!

I'm looking at putting a gps on my RSTC. First choice was/is a Garmin 765T. So far all of the retailers I've checked who were carrying this one are no longer. At present, the only ones that seem to be out there are "used" units on "fleabay" from what are not what I'd call established sellers. And the prices on some of them are higher than what the unit sold for new! I have found a listing for a Zumo 450 that sounds like it would fit the bill but I've never noticed anyone on here that has one. Anybody out there with one of these?? Opinions??

Second Question!!

Actually it's 2 questions. I'm also looking at adding a cb radio to the bike so I can talk to the group when we are together and for when I'm out on the highway. I had just about decided to bite the bullet and get the JM2003 set up when I found out that those are out of stock until AUGUST!! Seems JM contracted construction of those units out and the plant they came from shut down apparently without warning. OOPS!

OK So now I go back to looking at what I had originally planned on getting, one of the handhelds with an adapter so that I can run a license/rear mount antenna on it. Most common choices are either Midland or Cobra. Sierra has set ups for one of the Cobra handhelds, the fun part being that while one comes with a headset that will NOT work with the 5pin unit that is on the RSVs, the other one does work with it but does NOT come with the headset! For the same money!!

Q#1 Does anyone have this type of set up on their bike?? Does it work? The headsets are not named as far as manufacturer goes, ditto on the antennas they offer to go with the sets. so I have no idea who makes them. But the prices, $60-65 each on both, does not strike me as being either IMC or JM.

Q#2 Just WHERE does someone put anywhere from 9 to 15 ft. of coax on a bike?!?!?! :scratchchin:

HELP!!

The Zumo 660 is a good motorcycle GPS and should still be readily available. I have both the Tom Tom rider and the Garmin 660. Although the mapping on the Garmin is not as good as the Tom Tom Rider, the screen visibility specially on bright sunny days is much better on the Garmin. Hopefully Tom Tom will come up with a better screen in the near future that does not wash out on all but the most overcast days.

In our STAR Chapter we have people with both the J&M and Sierra Cobra handheld set ups.

I started to write that the J&M is far superior but then I had a thought about a problem my wife has been having. So I'll describe my experience with both units:

The J&M is permanently mounted so you don't have to worry about it walking away when you run in somewhere. It's also weather proof and has an aux input for an MP3, GPS etc. You can also get it with intercom if you ride with a passenger. It seems to work as well as factory systems with both the license plate mount antenna offered in the kit and some other antennas members have.

The Sierra handheld is not permanently mounted so needs to be removed any time there is a chance it could grow legs. It's not weather proof and has no aux inputs. With the rubber duck antenna it is generally acceptable at short range, but falls down at longer distances. The transmit button has a velcro strap to wrap it around the grip which is not an elegant solution. One of the guys put his on the clutch perch and that actually works well on his bike, but might not be doable on other motorcycles. About half the installations have required a noise suppressor on the power line.

My wife has one of the handhelds on her motorcycle and we are having trouble with it. She is the only one of the group that has the 5 pin set up because I wanted her to be able to use the same helmet/headset when she is a passenger on the Venture. It's useless at anything over 50 feet. The modulation is so weak I cannot understand her and she seems to have trouble hearing me. BUT, we have similar problems with her plugged into the intercom so the problem may be with her, the headset or how the headset is installed in her helmet (full face). She's going to get a regular CB antenna and we'll see if that helps.

The whole reason we went with the handheld for my wife is I wanted the 5 pin set up. I've since learned there are headsets that will work with the Venture audio and the J&M by switching the patch cord. Had I known that I'd have gone with the J&M.

Q#2 Just WHERE does someone put anywhere from 9 to 15 ft. of coax on a bike?!?!?! :scratchchin:

HELP!!

The best way to hide away that much coax is to wind it as loosely as possible in a figure "8" and and fit it under the seat, side panel, fairing or even into a saddle bag. Depending on the bike, that can be a bit of a challenge. From what my education has been from working with CB shops the figure "8" is less disruptive to the wave pattern than a tightly rolled coil or a wad of coax stuffed in the smallest hole possible. There is an improvement in performance with the "8".

I have the Garmin Zumo 665. It is pricey but a great unit. It comes with XM radio and you can subscribe to traffic and weather for it as well. I purchased it as a package deal from Touratech-usa.com. I love their mount as it is a locking mount so when you go into to eat you don't have to worry about putting it away. I don't leave it out all night however. It is easy to remove the device from the mount once unlocked.

Oh my $150 for a refurb unit? Man have these went up. I think I gave around $70 for mine. Here is a GPS fourm that the folks there can help steer you in the rite direction. Based on features you want. My top 2 things were I wanted an aux output (not thru FM) and upload of programed routes I made. Also Garmins site. For me Zumo's were out, over $600 shoot all the bike specific ones are high $$. :080402gudl_prv:

Oh the "fun" of putting goodies on our bikes!!

First Question!!

I'm looking at putting a gps on my RSTC. First choice was/is a Garmin 765T. So far all of the retailers I've checked who were carrying this one are no longer. At present, the only ones that seem to be out there are "used" units on "fleabay" from what are not what I'd call established sellers. And the prices on some of them are higher than what the unit sold for new! I have found a listing for a Zumo 450 that sounds like it would fit the bill but I've never noticed anyone on here that has one. Anybody out there with one of these?? Opinions??

Second Question!!

Actually it's 2 questions. I'm also looking at adding a cb radio to the bike so I can talk to the group when we are together and for when I'm out on the highway. I had just about decided to bite the bullet and get the JM2003 set up when I found out that those are out of stock until AUGUST!! Seems JM contracted construction of those units out and the plant they came from shut down apparently without warning. OOPS!

OK So now I go back to looking at what I had originally planned on getting, one of the handhelds with an adapter so that I can run a license/rear mount antenna on it. Most common choices are either Midland or Cobra. Sierra has set ups for one of the Cobra handhelds, the fun part being that while one comes with a headset that will NOT work with the 5pin unit that is on the RSVs, the other one does work with it but does NOT come with the headset! For the same money!!

Q#1 Does anyone have this type of set up on their bike?? Does it work? The headsets are not named as far as manufacturer goes, ditto on the antennas they offer to go with the sets. so I have no idea who makes them. But the prices, $60-65 each on both, does not strike me as being either IMC or JM.

HELP!!

About a month ago I went on flea bay and purchased a 765T. It worked just fine and was cheaper than the zumos. My immediate concern was rain, but following the advice of our forum brethren, I placed a Baggie over the GPS and wire and off I went 1,911 miles, mostly in the rain To Tennessee and kentucky last week at B2moms place. The GPS was about the only thing that remained dry. If you are patient enough, and if you are looking at cost effieciency, I am sure some other 765T will pop up on fleabay...

I run a Nuvi 250 on Tina's bike, a Nuvi780 on my bike(s), neither have ever shown any indication of vibration related problems. We carry a couple sandwich bags and a rubber band or three to cover them if it rains. Never had one quit because it got wet.

Sierra sells a kit to adapt any of the handheld C(rappy) B(and) radios to 5 pin DIN as your rsv uses, that is where I started and ended up building my own interface when we went to 2m ham radios.

Our experience with the Ht was as said above, 50 foot is good for them until you add a real antenna, then ¼ mile is usually good at 5 watt output.

As for the coax cable; run it however you want, cut off the excess and toss it. Put a new end on and never think about it again. Those who say that coax length affects SWR do not have a resonant antenna to begin with. The feed line in a proper antenna will not affect the SWR. If you don't feel comfy cutting it then use a truck mirror mount with a SO 239 mount on the bottom to screw a standard PL259 coax onto, but a premade 9 foot coax and run it along the frame work to your radio. The mirror mount best used is aluminum, available at any truck stop and can be drilled easily to mount any where you want to mount it with existing bolts.

For an antenna the best choice is something with a center load, that takes the transmitting section of the antenna to the top above the load, usually getting it up over where your body would be blocking it. If that isn't available then one of the ugly 4 foot fiberglass antennas would be next choice. These both usually are of a "no ground plain" variety and will work better.

Guest tx2sturgis

Several years ago, I used a cheap Garmin on the RSV, and I just siliconed the seams in the plastic case, the seam between the display and the case, the SD slot, the power cord connector, and the power switch.

I didnt cover the little speaker grill, but since it was shielded behind the fairing, I figured it wouldnt swallow too much rain anyway. I did a neat job, (pressing the stuff into the seams, and wiping off excess) and unless you looked close, it was very hard to see the clear silicone. I also added a short strip of electrical tape across the top, just for UV protection there.

It survived some very heavy rains, no problems at all. I think it was about $59 refurb on ebay, so not a huge loss if it ever got stolen or failed due to rain.

I used a handlebar RAM mount, and simply plugged the power cord into the lighter socket in the fairing when I wanted to use it. Then pulled the power cord part way out to turn it off. Crude, but it worked.

I didnt use the plug-in audio functions, although I could kinda hear her talking when it was time to look for a turn or exit.

It was reasonably bright, and I could use the touch screen, but not easily with gloves.

For the amount of money I spent, I'd say it worked very well.

Others will spend $500-$800 for a unit that becomes a target for theft, I never worried about mine at all.

My :2cents:!

:happy34:

You can see it in operation in this video from 2009...(advance the playhead to about 5:00)

[ame]http://youtu.be/qV1FbzBh51g[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Got mine of e-bay like I said from a autorized refurbisher. Also bought like 2yr of insurance/warrenty thru square trade for around $15-18 for 2yr. I figured if it shook its self apart I could send it back for repair. I put a 4gb card in it and it took about all the CD's I have to fill it.

I'm not familiar with the Magellan or Tom Tom units but they may have something available. Check out the link for the GPS site I had earlier someone there can probably give you the quick and dirty or you may even be able to find it on a search.

The Zumo I'm looking at is a 450, not the 660. Same basic set up as the 660, including the audio out plug that is almost a requirement for me. After the "fun" I had using my old TomTom on the trip home from picking up the TC, I won't go thru that again. I could not see it in the sunlight or hear it thru my helmet. Got completely lost in Memphis trying to find my way to I 55 South. NOT fun! $330 for a used unit with 2013 maps makes more sense than paying $600+ for "big brother".

I am keeping an eye out for a 765T on fleabay. I did a Google search for it and all of the bookmarks came up "out of stock" and that included refurbished IF it listed it at all. Also, I'm not a trusting soul when it comes to most sellers on eBay as I've been taken by one or two over the years. IF I don't get a Zumo, I've acquired a First Gear mini tank bag that has a gps mount set up built into it. It will also carry my sat radio as well as the ST1 Rider system [if I end up using it] I bought from fellow VROr Owen. The tank bag also detaches from it's base and converts into a fanny pack so most of my goodies can/will go with me when I'm off the bike.

As for the CB, I have no plans to use the lil antenna that most of the handhelds come with. I've used them before [not on a bike] and range is nonexistent with those. My primary concern is the headset. The radio won't do me much good if I can't hear/be heard with it. The 5pin set up would be nice but it is not a requirement. I can always get a 5pin harness/headset later on and mount it in one of my secondary helmets for use on a RSV[hopefully MY RSV :D]. I was planning to go to ROT -Republic of Texas bike rally, in Austin next month but work won't allow me the time off to make the trip worth the ticket price. Plans were to find the RAM mount I've been looking for that is set up with two balls so that you can attach two items to one mount, in my case cell phone and cb or gps, along with some other goodies for the TC.

All help gratefully appreciated and any advice welcome!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I ended up doing/getting.

CB RADIO

Cobra Road Trip "Superpack" - the Cobra HH38WXST handheld that comes with both a magnetic mount antenna and the lil "rubber ducky" antenna. The "superpack" part of the deal includes a telescopic antenna and a mic/speaker handset among other things. I'll see how it does with the selection of antenna that come with it before I pop for one of the "standard" antennas.

GPS

Picked up a manf. refurb. 765t off "fleabay". Reasonably priced at a little less than what other units from same vendor were going for in other auctions. Not sure what generation maps are on it[dumb I know] but at least I can get the sd card for the most current ones[2014!] and update it.

NEXT!

To get the RAM mounts for the darn things. The GPS will be spending most of it's traveling time in the tank bag I've bought but I'm still planning on the RAM mount as well for times when I don't want the tank bag on the bike. Does anyone have the double ball RAM mount that clamps to the handlebars?? This will enable me to have a mount for both a cup holder and/or the gps as well as the cb without having to take up the space that would be occupied by 2 different mounts. TC's aren't exactly known for having lots of available space around the bars!

I use the RAM mount w the double ball and have the c clamp on the handlebars. With the double ball set up I can swap and switch out my XM radio with my GPS. Currently Miles is sending me some of his no longer used mounts to have them both. I like the RAM set up and it's a snap to take with you if you feel it will up and leave when you're not looking.

I could not find a sutiable cup hold for the wife on back. I looked at the cruzer cups etc and any of those when I mounted them either hit the lid for the saddle bags or were in the way of them. The leather ones commonly used on the HD that go on the rear crash bars were simply to low and out of reach. So we were in Leesburg Fl at the bike rally a few weeks back and came across these. I like that I can take it off if I want and can be relocaed anywhere on the bike just about. The one we have is actually called a chubby cup. but is3 times as much. Clamp is adjustable and a cam lock style so you dont have to totaly undo the thing to get it off.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/S/8/S80980_1000.jpg