IGNORED

Needing some special engineering help.

GAWildKat

As many of you know Mike's been enjoying that new to him 1st gen...well I like it when I can get in the seat! I'm not short but my flexibility issues with the cerebral palsy make it a bit difficult to get on board. Mike was thinking of a small folding step stool that could be strapped to a rack on the left saddle bag. Lift the straps and secure the stool to the rack. Getting off is no problem. Feedback please.

i think the right side would be more suitable as the bike has a natural lean to the left when on the side stand then once your on Mike could get on and stand the bike up straight also use another floor board that can be attached to a locking hing type set up that can swing in and out when needed not be bulky and a hindrance i can picture it in my head as to how it would work and what to hook it to i just cant draw it out or put it in cad form wish i could do that maybe Dingy could draw something up if we ask him Dingy i dont want to volunteer you for this so i am asking could you do this

How many steps are needed and how high should each one be? Plus or minus an inch or two....

I do not have a first gen to measure but you have me thinking....

Maybe a vertical aluminum rail or two with one pivot attachment point to frame below seat with 1" square steps.

The entire mechanism could fold out with kickstand next to bike when kickstand is put down and still not be too big and bulky to look like a ladder on the side of the bike...

Hmmmm. Sliding up/down steps inside rails, two verticals. It would only need to be about 10" tall i think.

Let me toss that around tonight.

I will go look at my 2nd gen and look for possibilities

Patent pending. Hahaha

i think the right side would be more suitable as the bike has a natural lean to the left when on the side stand then once your on Mike could get on and stand the bike up straight also use another floor board that can be attached to a locking hing type set up that can swing in and out when needed not be bulky and a hindrance i can picture it in my head as to how it would work and what to hook it to i just cant draw it out or put it in cad form wish i could do that maybe Dingy could draw something up if we ask him Dingy i dont want to volunteer you for this so i am asking could you do this

Let me think about this.

Don't think that right side would be best side though. Bike is naturally higher on that side. But, Tricia's (& Mike's) bike has dual side stands, right and left side.

Couple of ideas below though, portable, easy to store, conceptual kind of stuff though.

:rotfl:

Gary

I agree with Joe on tis one. Laura and I had the same problem but for her it is her knees want let her come up on the left. I agree with a few that it is easier for her if she comes up on the bike from the right but its a pain for me to hold it from turning over. What we found works the best for us is Laura gets on the bike just likes its hers and then simply slides back, then I mount. As you already stated dismounting is not a problem for her either

David

Tell mike to just give you a good goose and you will be up there in no time........:duck:

So just which part of the mounting are you having the issue with?

Is it the part of getting your left foot up to the floorboard?

The stepping up once your foot is there?

Swinging your leg over the seat?

Do you get on after or before Mike?

Have you tried getting on from the right side of the bike?

All of these things can make a difference in what you need to help you get mounted safely.

Here we go....

Tell mike to just give you a good goose and you will be up there in no time........:duck:

So just which part of the mounting are you having the issue with?

Is it the part of getting your left foot up to the floorboard?

I can get my foot on the board, however, that is a really small board for my size 10 foot!

The stepping up once your foot is there?

I can get my right knee on the passenger seat but it's difficult to get my foot across that space.

Swinging your leg over the seat?

YEP!

On the Volusia I get on 1st and slide back. After the shoulder bolt broke on the Venture on the ride around the block Mike's not been enthusiastic about me mounting 1st. Dingy got us a replacement stand and the shoulder bolt mod but he's still dubious about it holding while I get on.

Have you tried getting on from the right side of the bike?

I rode horses as a kid and mounting from the right just feels wrong in many ways! lol

All of these things can make a difference in what you need to help you get mounted safely.

looks both sturdy and big enough.

roughly 12x 18 x 8" high... looks good.

I to am not crazy about the idea of someone getting on the bike without me being there to steady it. Read(I don't trust the kick stand either)

The reason I recommended a step: my mom is 75, and aunt mary 76, they get into my 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup often and feel very safe on that stool, they won't use the aluminum step that's on my truck?

Hey, whatever makes them feel comfortable is good enough for me...

Plus they get the royal treatment of me opening the door for them and assisting...LOL

Edited by CaptainJoe

Here we go....

On the Volusia I get on 1st and slide back. After the shoulder bolt broke on the Venture on the ride around the block Mike's not been enthusiastic about me mounting 1st. Dingy got us a replacement stand and the shoulder bolt mod but he's still dubious about it holding while I get on.

VERY unlikely you will break the setup I sent you. The bolt is way better than what was on it from the factory.

Really !!

Gary