IGNORED

What Temps Start Your Riding Season?

Guest Popeye

I'll take the RSV out for a spin in the winter just to keep a charge and to circulate fluids. I prefer that it be above 45 to do that. When I worked in Balto it was 57 miles one way. I rode to work many times when the temp at my house when I left was in the mid to upper 30s. I didn't enjoy that so much.

For pleasure rides, my wife likes the 60s or warmer. I don't know that we have ever said, "It's too hot to ride."

I don't like gravel, sand, salt or ice. I have had near death experiences on wet, leaf covered roads in the fall. We typically don't ride in the rain unless we need to or we get caught in a surprise summer shower.

Down here in Georgia I find anything close to 50 is fine on the RSV cause it is pretty well protected. The only problem I have is with my right hand getting cold, but then again a good pair of insulated gloves would probably cure that!

kenw:900[1]:

Up here, I would rather wait till rain washes the salt away. BUT, the excitement always gets the better of me and as long as the roads are clear, the tempature does not matter. I've done 200 mile trips at 7 degrees, just bundle up. Just prefer clear roads, it's not as much fun or safe riding the RSV on Ice & Snow. Later-

Monday it was 68* & Sunny here & I cleaned our new scoot, which was delivered in an open trailer & STUFFED full of sand, salt, grit, ice, snow.

The guy was an idiot. Open trailer, no tarp, big storm.

Scoot is now cleaned, but last night we got waxed by an Ice Storm followed by 6 inches of snow.

I get at least one day a month, where I can ride for 100-200 miles or so, minimum, but might be solo for some.

I would ride to work more, but no decent place to park, for heat in winter or shade in summer. But my work is 6-12 miles, so I just use the ol' pickup & let 'it' bake in the HOT sun or Freeze in the cold.

Temperature is not a player. I've ridden just for grins in single digit temps and well over triple digit temps. :hurts::hurts::hurts: As long as the road isn't ice or snow I'll ride. Here in West Texas that usually means I get 360+ riding days a year.

I don't enjoy riding in the rain or when the wind is above 35 mph so that might also cut another 15 to 20 days off the season..

Now you know why we live in San Angelo!!!! :smile5::smile5::smile5:

One reason I brought this topic up, is I see Large scoots regularly in single digit weather, as long roads are dry & no precipitation coming down.

Also, I see the same beautiful scoots during Summer when temps are heading for triple digits, in the work traffic.

Single digit riders must have 'great batteries' to start after 8+ hours in cold, or inside parking.

The ones I've seen who leave their scoots out for 8+ hours, in triple digit sun, always have a shady spot or use a cover to protect paint, leather, plastic, etc.

But, that's work transportation.

Sharon's comfort zone is 50*-95* & dry, anything else is: "Happens far from home".... & I unplug intercom.

For "comfort", that's about my range.

When I was a kid, on my Norton 750, I thought 20* in 4 inches of fresh snow was a FUN 30 mile ride to work. [what an idiot]