IGNORED

PLEASE HELP!! 1st Gen Hitch Evaluation

luke000

Well I received a hitch yesterday for my birthday :Crazy_139: that was purchased off eBay, It was described as fully functional and operational, and when I looked at it there is a nice sized crack where the ball attaches on the plate :bang head: it is the same size and shape exactly as the washer would be on the back side. It just looks like someone tried towing a boat or something and now it kinda looks like a pop can tap pulling open. My question is (and this is my first trailer hitch on anything besides a truck) in your opinion is this unsafe and could continue to crack farther, In short should I try to get the money back for it?? also some points i want to make with the seller/eBay if/when I do this would be helpful. :rippedhand::rippedhand::rippedhand:

PS I just found the one in the last pic at a VERY good price, should I pick it up quick (1 day left)?

If it's not just damage to the chrome the crack will grow until the ball tears off. No way to estimate how long it'll last.

The right way to repair is to have it welded up. Maybe even reinforced with some plate on the bottom. The chrome would be shot though.

You could also make it work by using really big plate washers above or below, but wouldn't look too good.

I would contact the seller to get my money back. If the seller says no, file a claim with PP and your CC company.

That hitch is NOT safe to use.

You could spend a bunch more money getting it welded up and reinforced. But as Carl said, welding will destroy the chrome, not that it looks good now. Unless you got it really cheap to justify the extra work it needs.

I would not trust just using bigger washers to cover the cracks.

What kind of a hitch is it?

In that last pic, there is a complete set of rear crash bars, There is also a Markland hitch in the mix. If you get that one you will not have to replace all of the crash bars, you can just mount the hitch on your bars.

Edited by Flyinfool

Yes, definately could fail! It can be repaired several ways. As stated, the chrome stuff looks to be in great shape, I guess part of the consideration would be how much you paid, including shipping, for the item. It's very hard to find a hitch for under $100, and the saddlebag guards are worth $50 - $100 as well...

ok couple quick questions. 1st do you have all the other parts? 2nd what years is this hitch off of? 3rd what is the name brand of this hitch?

Reason Im asking is if its a Markland hitch and if you have all the other parts in good condition and if the pplate that you are showing( base plate where the ball mounts) can be replaced with one form a 93 then I can make the rest of your birthday better. I just happen to have one you can have for the price of shipping. Flyinfool made me a reese type hitch to replace this base and its just laying around my house taking up space. \\Okay all you hitch gurus will my base plate interchange with the one he already has.

Mine is not perfect as the one I have has a liuttle rust but it can be cleaned up nicely.

David

ok couple quick questions. 1st do you have all the other parts? 2nd what years is this hitch off of? 3rd what is the name brand of this hitch?

Reason Im asking is if its a Markland hitch and if you have all the other parts in good condition and if the pplate that you are showing( base plate where the ball mounts) can be replaced with one form a 93 then I can make the rest of your birthday better. I just happen to have one you can have for the price of shipping. Flyinfool made me a reese type hitch to replace this base and its just laying around my house taking up space. \\Okay all you hitch gurus will my base plate interchange with the one he already has.

Mine is not perfect as the one I have has a liuttle rust but it can be cleaned up nicely.

David

Markland hitches are all the same from 86-93 for the Venture.

Thank you everyone for your input and offers, I sent back the old hitch to the seller and got a refund for the original price and shipping, he is sticking me with return shipping ($15) "because that is eBay's policy" he also claimed he "never saw the crack, but will take my word for it". And yes I grabbed the other one on eBay up :cool10: so I am pretty happy with that, it even looks like the bag guard is in better shape than my current one and there is a flag pole holder so I just could not say no. Plus all in all I am spending $5 less overall! I probably could have welded it myself but it was not worth the hassle or getting crappy looking chrome. Quick question, I am currently wiring my bike for the trailer pigtail and I looked on a wiring diagram and the bike and can not figure out if on the tail light the brake light is the blue wire or the yellow wire, anyone?

You're probably going to need a 5 to 4 wire convertor for the wiring to work out right. I used this one on my '84. Found this one on Amazon) A plug mount is a nice touch to keep the wiring nice, neat and in control.

Off the top of my head I don't recall the color codes on the bike wires but followed the codes off the convertor and used a probe to confirm the connection. Had it all in stalled and hooked up in less than and hour. With NO sparks!!!

• 6 months later...

David

David ...

Any chance you still have that markland hitch piece? If so, I can certainly use it!

I bought a bike with the entire hitch installed except for that piece.

Please PM me one way or the other!

Thanks in advance!

Wayne

I still have a Markland hitch that I had on my '86 laying in the garage. All of the parts are there a I just need to clean it up. Someone makes me a good offer, it can be relocated to a new home. :usa:

Skid ...

If you still have that hitch for an 86 Venture I am very interested in it. Please PM me with your price!

Thanks in advance ...

WTNewton