My 99 has been a jewel for the last 5 years I've owned it. However I recently went a whole 6 weeks without running it(I know,thats inexcusable for some who lives in Florida). Now I have a problem with a rough idle(sounds like Harley) and stalling. Runs fine however under power.

I assume I've got gunk/crap in the idle circuit of the carbs.My dealer suggested Ring Free in the tank. I put some in and I'm gonna run the tank out this Sunday and see what happens.Anyone else ever had this problem? BTW I've been an auto mechanic for 35 years and have always HATED working on Japaneese carbs--very small jets and passages and overly complicated.

Mikey - BUT you can do it! I am not a mechanic by profession - just a home mechanic - and I have torn into 2 RSV Mikuni 4-pack carbs 3 times in the past six weeks since I got my 2 RSV 6 weeks ago. And I have to do it again on 3 carbs this month to sell 1 bike, sell 1 carb set & keep 1 for my own 01 RSV. Tedious but a must do!

seafoam , it works great down here , i run a full can in a 1/2 tank on gas , it is just as good as ringfree and a lot cheaper , you can get it at any auto parts store . we get a little bit off water in our gas down here and when you let your bike sits to long the water settles to the bottom of you carb bowls , if you can , drain your bowls and than use the seafoam .

You say the bike was running fine until you stoped riding for awhile.

You have been riding it for 5 years..............Vacuim leak comes to mind here for me. You may have some Vac. hoses that have cracked or have gotten lose over a preoid of time.

Kurt

Mikey,

I see the seafoam guys are already at it. Your a mechanic, and I'm mechanical.

Taking the carbs off and apart, cleaning them is NO BIG DEAL!

Just do it and get it over with. When you are done and it's running great, you won't hesitate to do it again.

I've done it and wouldn't bat an eye at doing it again.

Good Luck,

Steve

I had one cylinder go dead on me on my 83. The only thing I did was open the fuel bowl drain and out came some water. When I got good looking gas out of it I shut it off. Then got on and off I went with the problem cured. Just be sure to follow the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid.

At least your bike will run. I bought a leftover 2006 Tour Deluxe last fall and put about 1000 miles on it before storing it for the winter. The weather was nice yesterday so I dropped the battery in to start it and gas came flowing out of the overflow hose. A stuck float on a brand new bike. This will be my last bike with a carb. Not only are they prone to dirt but also the ethanol can pit carb components. After having FI on my last three bikes I wont make that mistake again.... Bottom line is the bikes like to stay active. Let them sit and troubles begin.

Mikey,

I see the seafoam guys are already at it. Your a mechanic, and I'm mechanical.

Taking the carbs off and apart, cleaning them is NO BIG DEAL!

Just do it and get it over with. When you are done and it's running great, you won't hesitate to do it again.

I've done it and wouldn't bat an eye at doing it again.

Good Luck,

Steve

Steve , i have rebuilt all kinds of carbs. 4 brl. generator , marine , but i wish i lived closer to you , better yet you lived closer to me :rotfl:but these carbs scare the you know what out of me , i mite have to break down and buy some from ebay to practices on but rite now i have 8 carbs on 2 1st gens to rebuild , and to pay somebody 200.00 to 300.00 each to rebuild them for me , i could affored to buy a 2nd gen :rotfl:

somebody needs to make a video how to rebuild our carbs , i would buy one !!

thom

the people up north put fuel stabilizer in it before thy put it up for the winter.

Fuel stabilizer, sea foam, this...that... geeez... I've never put a thing in my gas ... my bike (all of the ones I've owned).. get parked around Oct 15th and never get run again till April... they've been parked inside / outside / in freezing cold (minus 30 celcius)... now here on the WET west coast... you name it ... rarely have issues getting them running in the spring... so I wonder, why do so many seem to have this problem?

What I do is leave them with about 1/4 tank of gas...in the spring, I fill them up with fresh gas from a jerry can...charge the battery and if they stammer or stutter and seem to have trouble getting going, I use a spray bottle and spray a bit of raw gas into the air intake....in no time at all, they're running smoothly. Couple times years ago I've used ether but that's a bit dangerous.

I did try the seafoam last spring tho... didn't notice much improvement as it seemed to be running good to begin with...just thought I'd try it out to see what, if any, difference it would make.

well that's just my experience...mebbe I been lucky?

:think:

I second the SeaFoam. Thanks to all who posted the use of this product. I dumped in a half a pint, shut the petcock off and ran the carbs dry. When the bike stalled I turned the gas on again and tapped on the carbs as I started the bike up. I did this three times, and on the third time the float came unstuck. I like my bike again. I'll be starting it every weekend now, and hopefully be riding it the end of the month.

Just Sea-Foam them. No use doing what you don't have to do and I would bet the Sea-Foam would cure.