IGNORED

How little I know about my bike!

Guindalf

Here I sit, in a hotel room in Dalton, GA (traveling for work), when I realize how stupid I really am!

Let me explain.

I returned home at lunchtime on Sunday and thought "Oh, I haven't used the bike ('03 RSV Midnight) in a while". So I thought that even thought it's still too cold to ride, I'd at least fire her up and maybe take her round the block.

Well, as you've probably already guessed, the battery is flat and this is where the dumbness comes in - I realized that I don't even know where the battery is, let alone how to get to it to charge it!!!

That's it - I'm ashamed.

:confused24:

Wrong..Dumb is not asking,but you probably have it figured out now,it is under the seat. The nuts to take it off is a pain so I replaced mine with I think 6mm wing nuts and so much easier to take off and on. My battery went dead this winter but got in on a group buy thru "Conder" and put an Odyssey battery in. It sure seems to start faster now. Tom

I can assure you that you are not alone. I was riding down the beach here (hwy 90) last summer when I saw a biker on the side of the road, and it looked like he was having problems, so I stopped. When I asked what was the problem he said that he was having a nice ride when all of a sudden the bike just quit. He said he had plenty of gas and prior to the shutdown, the bike seemed to be running great. Having had this same problem I glanced at his bike, reached over and turned the kill switch on and told him to try to start it. It fired right up and after exchanging a few more pleasantries we were both on our seperate ways. The only difference when it happened to me is that no one stopped to help me and it took at least 15 minutes before I finally checked the switch.

By the way, the battery is under the seat. There are two nuts, one on each side towards the front of the seat, that you remove. Then the seat comes off. Good luck !!

Thanks for making me feel a little better, guys! As you've already guessed, I'm a rider, not a mechanic. I even had to get help to change my oil last year.

One more thing. When I get back Friday, I'll remove the seat and search the mess that is my garage for my charger. Should I disconnect before charging or is it ok to just connect, set and let it run?

It is up here in the mountains (NE GA) and I don't have all the right cold-weather gear!

If you had a First Gen all you would need is chaps gloves and a jacket but seeing as how you are on a Second gen you do need winter clothing:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Jeff

Too cold to ride? I don't think so!:whistling:

It is up here in the mountains (NE GA) and I don't have all the right cold-weather gear!

I gotta agree with Jack! Heck, I'm going camping in the mountains (NW Ga) this weekend! You must bring in everything you need, including water and a shovel for your latrine. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_106.gif :thumbsup2: And the only reason I'm not taking the bike is too much to carry (I like my comforts!) and about three miles of fire road! This is my second year, but my friends have been doing this on the first weekend in Feb. for the last 34 years!

High here today of 47 but I'll be riding the bike around doing last minute errands.

You might want to think about a "battery tender" I have one on my G2 and I never need to charge the battery. It does it automaticly. Also it will extend your overall battery life about 25 to 30%, (No I don't sell these) But they do work.:backinmyday:

Battery Tender is the way to go if you're going to park the bike for more than a week or two. It even has this spiffy little plug-in that you put on the battery so you never have to take the seat off to charge it. Something else you can do is to install the cigarette lighter for the passenger and solder a plug onto tender, then you just plug the charger into the cig lighter.

Battery Tender is the way to go if you're going to park the bike for more than a week or two. It even has this spiffy little plug-in that you put on the battery so you never have to take the seat off to charge it. Something else you can do is to install the cigarette lighter for the passenger and solder a plug onto tender, then you just plug the charger into the cig lighter.

Sounds like just what I need.

Now who's going to volunteer to come over and fit it for me??? Huh? Huh? Huh? :whistling:

My Battery Tender came with it's own connect and a pigtail to hook to the batter. The pigtail attaches to the battery with the connector just coming out under the seat. Just pull into the garage and plug it in. I've been using it on my Oddessy battery for about 4 years now and keep it plugged in pretty much anytime the bike is parked at home.

I also have a Battery Tender with the "pigtail". Sure makes it nice to keep the battery charged up. Of course I don't use it offten. There is too much good riding time down here to let it sit for any time at all. There are times when it gets below 70 and you have to break out the "leathers" LOL.

Ken:stirthepot:

Good grief, Guindalf! Get that thing running and ride it over to Walhalla, and I'll fit it for you.

Wait. You're in Walhalla and I'm in Toccoa and we haven't met yet????

What's wrong with this picture?

(BTW - I TOLD you I was useless in the first place!!!)

Forget the wire - we need to get together.

I bought my bike from Performance in Seneca and we always make the pilgrimage to Fatz at some point in the Spring!

Or there's always Applebee's or a couple Chinese places in Toccoa (I'm actually 5 miles from Toccoa Falls College - in Habersham County, but Toccoa's the mailing address).

on mine, I attached the lead that comes with the Battery Tender Jr. and let it come out under the fake tank cover (GenI). With that tucked in one of my side bags I have the choice of plugging in my tender when at home, or when on the road, I have an adapter that plugs into the tender lead that has a cig lighter plug on the end so I can plug in anything that will use that connection like my Cell phone charger, a computer, heated gloves etc.

Get a Battery Tender (I get mine from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse, about the cheapest I have found for the name brand item) and don't worry about it again.

+1 on the Battery Tender (I use the Jr. model). Wire it to the battery and let the connection hang out under the seat. Plug it in when you are leaving it sit for a while.

The stock nuts holding the seat are 10mm. You may need an extension on your 1/4 ratchet to get to it.

Good Luck.

RR