IGNORED

2013 International then Western vacation

XV1100SE

Just wanted to see if anyone else is planning on heading West after the 2013 International. I know Leo3Wheel (Leo, NJ - '09 Hannigan) is planning on heading West as well, possibly Carbon-One (Larry, Michigan - '09 Hannigan) too.

For us, we don't have a firm route yet. Only destination we have to make is Jack Fish Lake, Saskatchewan on the 15th of August. Between the International and August 15 we are free spirits. We aren't looking for mileage and would prefer to "smell the flowers" along the way, see the sights, probably camping for the most part.

Anyone else considering a Western vacation (or headed West to get home) after the International?

If anyone is headed West... post your general plans or destination and lets see if we can piece something together. Or if you live West of the International and want visitors....

Roughly mapped my vision of our canyonlands trip in July/August. Will take the northern route west in July. There are slight diversions to allow us to visit states previously unvisited. Biggest diversion is to visit friends near Madison, Wi and then to participate in Galena International Rally. Plan to make a short visit with fellow rider in Loveland, Colorado. After visiting canyonlands, will return east on the southern route.

Edited by leo3wheel

We would enjoy that... :happy34:
Leo, I see by your map that you will be about an hour away from us on your way out. We could meet up on the way out there as well, depending on how many days you were planning on taking. Also we are hotel people, Becky does not like camping. We are planning on taking 3 days to get there, we are officially old 7arts...

Folks, All of you are welcome to join us on this adventure. Even though many of the interesting sites are in CO, UT and AZ, we plan to enjoy our trip out and back. In other words, we will go at a moderate pace and stop for health breaks along the way. If someone knows of interesting places to stop in the heartland, we can consider them. I was trying to touch as many states as possible on this trip, but if this is a problem, then I can eliminate the small diversions I had planned, no big deal. I do have to say hi to a fellow biker in Loveland, CO, but we will go right through Loveland. Will just show up with other bikers. Sure he will be happy to see us. :)

These are some of the sites/towns in mind:

Rocky Mountain NP (CO)

Arches NP (UT)

Moab, UT

Canyonlands NP (UT)

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park (AZ)

Four Corners Monument & Navajo Tribal Park (UT/CO/AZ/NM)

Flagstaff, AZ

Sedona, AZ

Saguaro NP (AZ)

Grand Canyon NP, South Rim (AZ)

Grand Canyon NP, North Rim (AZ)

Antelope Canyon Navajo Tribal Park (AZ)

Glen Canyon Dam (AZ)

Kanab, UT

Zion NP (UT)

Bryce Canyon NP (UT)

Capitol Reef NP (UT)

Glen Canyon NRA (UT)

Mesa Verde NP (CO)

Durango (CO)

Pagosa Springs (CO)

See I need to do more detailed planning to travel the scenic routes and pick up all the landmarks. I have the time... :)

What a dream ride... :biker:

Edited by leo3wheel

Leo, I see by your map that you will be about an hour away from us on your way out. We could meet up on the way out there as well, depending on how many days you were planning on taking. Also we are hotel people, Becky does not like camping. We are planning on taking 3 days to get there, we are officially old 7arts...

Hi Bob, Jeannette and I would enjoy your company to Galena. Can travel at a pace that is comfortable for all. We are also hotel people, so no problem. We are both retired... :)

:rotf:Didn't know we are staying at your house? Was going to make a small diversion just to say I was in Michigan. Wasn't even thinking that you live there. Very funny! Plans have changed, and we will be riding with bongobobny, so I may skip that idea. Bob will join us where I-80 and I-90 meet. If you want to join us, just let us know. Funny things happen sometimes...

Believe it or not, one of the funnest parts of our trip last year was Death Valley NP.. If you can be there during the full moon and night ride it is unbelievable!! and of course not as hot..

and dont miss Jerome AZ

The list could go on and on... :) We went to Jerome before. Jeannette bought a beautiful kokopelli wind chime made of copper and stained glass. We could also add Silverton, CO, but we have been there by road and train. The new things for us are Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Antelope Canyon NTP, and Saguaro NP. If riders join us and would like to visit places not on our list, we will go with the flow. We just want to ride... :biker:

Also, be a 1%er and see the Grand Canyon from the North Rim...

Been on bus tours to both the South and North Rims of the Grand Canyon. Just want to go there with our trike. Can never have enough of a great experience. We have also taken a ride to the base of the Grand Canyon with a Native American guide. He performed a spiritual service as we entered the canyon. Canyon was beautiful with all sorts of cacti. There were wild donkeys there that we pet from the vehicle windows. Also got to see a roadrunner on the dirt road. It was over 100 degrees down there that day, so we waded in the Colorado River. It was a wonderful experience.

• 1 month later...

Been thinking about our western trip. Some things have changed, and it now makes sense to delay this trip a year. Have registered for Music City Nites Ride-In in TN and will sign up for TrikeTalk Northeast Rally in CT. In addition, it now appears there is interest in a 2014 Southwest Ride-In in NM, so it makes sense to juggle our plans a bit. We will still be going to the 2013 International Rally at Galena, IL and Freebird's Maintenance Day at Oberlin, OH. Just need to make arragements at CT, and we are all set. Many thanks to everyone who offered to meet up with us along the way. Hoping this will happen in 2014.