IGNORED

Hopkins-46255-Power-Taillight-Converter

M61A1MECH

One of my harness customers found a video on YOU TUBE that recommended using the Hopkins-46255-Power-Taillight-Converter for connecting a 4 pin trailer harness to the 5 wire 2nd Gen Venture system, I reviewed the video and what info I could find on that converter and recommended that he purchase that unit as it should work.

He has the Hoppy now but the color codes on his Hoppy do not match what the instruction sheet I found on line. I am sending him a harness in the morning, but I not able to help him determine which wires on the Hoppy connect to which wires on the harness. If the colors matched the instructions it would be easy, but his colors are different.:confused24:

Has any one else used the Hoppy 46255 on a 2nd Gen?

Any help is appreciated.

Steve the Hoppy I used had the convertor part marked as to what wire and color went to what. I just took the wire marked for brake light on the convertor and hooked it up to the corresponding color provided in your wiring diagram. If you need me too I could take my seat off tomorrow and write down what is what.

Playboy, Thanks.

But the pictures I have seen on this model the functions are not marked on the out side of the other convertors. ??

I have found a couple folks over om the Delphi trailer forum that used this model on a Venture , but the posts are 4 to 6 years old, so I did not bother to try and contact anyone yet.

They do, the problem is the wire colors he reported to me that he has on his adapter do not match what Hopkins has listed in their instruction sheet.

He tells me his Hopkins has: black, blue, yellow, brown, and turquoise wires

The colors that Hopkins lists on their sheet I found on line are white, brown, yellow, red and green. Some match (yellow and brown, maybe turquoise could be green).

Maybe his black = white = ground

Maybe his red = Yellow = brake

That would be my guess , I was hoping some one here had actually used this specific adapter and could tell us what they used.

If his harness matched the instruction sheet, I found , it would hook up as shown below, but I have no way to know what the functions are for his colors, I would guess the colors he has that match the instructions are for the same functions that are on the Hopkins instructions, but hat would be a guess.

Hoppy Bike Function

White Black Ground

Brown Blue Tail light

Yellow Brown Left turn

Red Yellow Brake

Green Green Right turn

I think I would start with a call to Hopkins. If the part does not match the instructions, you may have the wrong part.

So far, in several places, you have listed 5 wires on the bike side of the converter, the Hopkins-46255 should have 6 wires on the bike side and 4 on the trailer side.

Some low life may have switched packaging to get "a better deal" on their converter.

I am hoping that the fellow that has the converter is or will be doing just as you suggest in calling Hopkins. I will confirm that with him next we speak.

You are correct the Hopkins converter should have 6 wires , the sixth being the large red wire that goes to the positive terminal on the battery to power the isolator, I was purposely avoiding talking about that to try and focus on the 5 wires that are related to the signal systems. Unforunuatly the fellow with the converter is in Wisconsin and I am in Florida, so I have not actually seen his set up yet.

Anybody near North Praraie , WI that coould maybe help this fellow out?

thanks for the feed back, good points.

I am hoping that the fellow that has the converter is or will be doing just as you suggest in calling Hopkins. I will confirm that with him next we speak.

You are correct the Hopkins converter should have 6 wires , the sixth being the large red wire that goes to the positive terminal on the battery to power the isolator, I was purposely avoiding talking about that to try and focus on the 5 wires that are related to the signal systems. Unforunuatly the fellow with the converter is in Wisconsin and I am in Florida, so I have not actually seen his set up yet.

Anybody near North Praraie , WI that coould maybe help this fellow out?

thanks for the feed back, good points.

I am about an hours ride away from him if no one closer chimes in.

Is this a member on here?

I have not wired a Hoppy or a 2nd gen but it should not be hard to figure out how to hook it up once I know the colors for a 2nd gen. Even then I can figure out the colors with my tester.

Joe, Do you recall having any issues with the colors not matching the instructions? Can you lend any additional help or instructions for me to pass along to try and help. Photos maybe?

Flying fool, I have recommended to him to come over and check out the forum at least twice, but I do n ot think he has done so. I enclose a wiring schematic with all the harnesses I send out so he will have that if you happen to lend him a hand.

I will find out if he wants me to pass his phone number on to you, then maybe you two can get together and chat a bit.

thanks for the help.

Thats the model number I have and it was 50 bucks at autozone I tried the 30 dollar non powered one and it did not work well.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=70605

I bought a Hopkins (cannot for the life of me find the package and the unit is in the box next to the CB) that is non-powered, so it has 5 wires on the bike end and 4 wires on the trailer end. It is different looking from any I've seen here, so far. It works very well. All the wires on it have markings which identify their function. When I installed it I didn't have Steve's handy-dandy break out harness, so I tapped in behind the license plate. ALL the lights on my trailer are LEDs. Don't remember which color from the bike went with which color on the adapter, but the output from the adapter matched the colors on the trailer wiring.