IGNORED

Got My Odossey Battery

RedRider

To all those new to the Odyessy battery, be sure to read the

" Charging Instructions". As the proceedure is somewhat different then with a lead Acid Battery.

Also different, is that you use voltage readings, ( 12.4 to 12.7 ) to determine the " state " of charge.

I have noted, that after 4 to 6 hours of charging at 4 amp rate, then giveing the battery couple hours to settle in, I will see, 12.8 to 12.9 volts, with digital volt meter.

Thanks Condor,

Received mine today via UPS! :)

Barry

Yeah, Odyssey ships two different ways depending on which is the most economical. I thought they were all going via USPS. A few went UPS. My bad. I should have looked at the invoices closer. Glad you got it OK.

• 1 month later...

How are the PC545's working for you guys? Any problems. I had an issue with my battery last night (not an odyssey) and am researching a new battery and came across this little tidbit about the PC545 that I thought you might want to know. Specifically the battery voltages and the charger they recommend for the battery. I haven't looked at my battery tender plus to see if it meets these specs or not. If not, I may go another way for my new battery. I know it refers to big V-twins, but remember the RSV charging system is woefully inadequate.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/files/pc545.pdf

I know that Don has an Odyssey and, I believe, he uses a battery tender on it.

I have a battery MINDER and have emailed asking a question as to wether mine will work on gel or dry cells as well...cause, you know, I may be looking for a new battery here as well.

I have the Odessey and its great. I posted in another thread this information. The Regular battery tender does not provide enough amps to tend this battery. 2 amps is not enough. Odessey makes a tender for their own batteries and it tends at 6 amps and monitors it. Works great!

Guest Popeye

I got an Odessey pc680 about 6 weeks ago, before I learned my alternator was shot.

The battery ran my wing for 45 miles before quitting. I checked the Odessey site for charging: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/charging.htm and found I only needed an automatic charger.

I got a dual-purpose Schumacher 6-4-2v automatic charger on eBay for $25.50 delivered http://item.express.ebay.com/SCHUMACHER-6-12-V-BATTERY-CHARGER-MAINTAINER-6-AMP-CAR_W0QQitemZ150229444978QQihZ005QQtrZexpQQcmdZExpressItem & it recharged my [dead-as-a-brick] pc680 just fine....it also works as a maintainer as it's automatic.

The LEDs tell everything you need to know.

Now that I found the short & replaced the bad alternator, it's excellent.

Gel batteries are not really an issue since they are not practical for bikes.

Also, the Odessey Battery is not really a "dry-cell", as it is called by Odessey.

It is an AGM [absorbed glass material] battery, which is really just a spillproof, sealed wetcell battery for our needed facts.

Salty Dawg links info to a 'V-twin' engine with a 32 amp alt', this is a custom harley below 2k RPMs. The 2nd gen is a 'twin-V' & always ridden regular over 2000 RPM.

Mine is in a 1500 wing & I don't use the charger/maintainer anymore since it doesn't sit still long enough.