IGNORED

This is SureFoot

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Nice lookin scoot Kit, must have a thing for black bikes. Whats that old saying " Once you go black, you never go back". So you got the floor boards and heel toe shifter, now lets find some straight pipes and ape hangers to fit it too!:rotf::rotf::rotf: Hey it is supposed to be in sixty degrees this Sunday, whta do you say we get together so I can see that thing first hand? I'll see if Bobbie and George can crawl out of the dungeon for a couple of hoursand join us. Of course you will have to lead, what with a nice shiny new bike and all. I also want you to show me on a map where you got the pics of the Confederate graveyard.

A ride.......okay!! I know a good one........kinda like the last one we did...down highway 321....about a three or four hour round trip ride from my house......lets check the weather Saturday evening and decide. We can run down just past the Georgia border.......show you a nice boat ramp on the Savanhah.....and stop in the Confederate Park(I think I can find it again....maybe.....) You good at motorcycle sand running?!! Road had sugar sand a foot deep......but know to avoid it now!! Did have to find an old can to put the kick stand on.

Actually I wanted a bright yellow one.......but that color was not to be obtained.....so I settled for Black.........lot to that statement.....once you try black you never go back!!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I'm sure you will really enjoy it. I actually tried to buy a new Wing a few years ago. Had it all picked out, accessories chosen, final negotiating was done. Went in the sign the papers and thought it was a done deal when suddenly they asked to see my AARP card....WHAT???? Didn't have one, wasn't old enough at that time. Who would have know that it was a requirement. :rotf:

Guest KitCarson
I'm sure you will really enjoy it. I actually tried to buy a new Wing a few years ago. Had it all picked out, accessories chosen, final negotiating was done. Went in the sign the papers and thought it was a done deal when suddenly they asked to see my AARP card....WHAT???? Didn't have one, wasn't old enough at that time. Who would have know that it was a requirement. :rotf:
:stickinouttounge::stickinouttounge::stickinouttounge: Kit

.......................................................................................

We went to his house to pick up the Venture and off we rode, he on the Venture and myself on the Wing. After about 10 miles we switched bikes, and kept doing that every so often during our 60-70 mile sojourn, some in traffic and some in the open countryside.

...................................................................................................................................

Terry

Seems you sure are spending a lot of time an 2nd gens these days, Terry! :rotf:

Nice lookin bike, Kit! I just don't want ride behind you at night, looks like I would need to put on sunglasses when you hit the brakes! :rotfl:

Did you forget, Todd, that I'm just trying to help out a friend in need? :2132:

Besides that, you know me well enough by now to realize that I will gladly and quickly jump on anything with two wheels and a motor just to see what happens!

Rest assured, the ever-wonderful 83 will continue to have a home with me. I lucked into one awesome bike and I'm not letting go...

Terry

Congratulations on your new GW!

Just in case any one is interested there is a Honda Homecoming every year in Marysville, Ohio usually toward the end of July. There are test drives and a tour of the Honda factory where the Gold Wings are built.

We plan to go there this year to take the tour.

However, we will ride home on our 99 RSV.

Peggy

Actually I wanted a bright yellow one.......but that color was not to be obtained.....so I settled for Black.........lot to that statement.....once you try black you never go back!!!

Kit;

I've been waiting for these pics. They make my "new" 97 Wing look old.

I also got the Black/Chrome combo & I know I'll be dusting all year.

Last weekend, I hit the turn signal & a 'side headlight' came on....for each side.

Scared me. I knew it had 2 headlights, but never really thought about another 2 side headlights for seeing where your turning before you get there.

Sooooo much difference, especially since my wife DON'T CLEAN BIKES.

Sure is pretty when it's clean, though.

How to improve on the Black/Chrome scheme? Its just too classic.

Congrats on your NEW one.

That is one sharp looking ride. I have a J&P catalog just come in.

All kinds of chrome and things for that ride.

Hope you have a big bank account to get all the pieces that go on that bike.

By the way, the last time I road with a GW, could not hear it, what kind of pipes you going to put on it :rotf::rotf:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Nice lookin scoot Kit, must have a thing for black bikes. Whats that old saying " Once you go black, you never go back". So you got the floor boards and heel toe shifter, now lets find some straight pipes and ape hangers to fit it too!:rotf::rotf::rotf: Hey it is supposed to be in sixty degrees this Sunday, whta do you say we get together so I can see that thing first hand? I'll see if Bobbie and George can crawl out of the dungeon for a couple of hoursand join us. Of course you will have to lead, what with a nice shiny new bike and all. I also want you to show me on a map where you got the pics of the Confederate graveyard.

:crying: Won't be ridin this weekend, bike is torn down. Putting Flander bars, new front brake and clutch lines, throttle cable, anti-freeze, new air filters, rear wheel off this weekend to grease everything up. Change rear brake fluid also.

Also, don't tighten the radiator drain plug to tight, waiting on that part to come in now :crying:

Guest KitCarson
That is one sharp looking ride. I have a J&P catalog just come in.

All kinds of chrome and things for that ride.

Hope you have a big bank account to get all the pieces that go on that bike.

By the way, the last time I road with a GW, could not hear it, what kind of pipes you going to put on it :rotf::rotf:

I have just about all the chrome you can put on it now already........photos might not show it well.....Got to get a chrome foot stand yet..........as for the center stand. Might just take that off and throw it away.......fellow at the bike shop told me an 102 pound Grandma could put it up on center stand.........well I weigh more than that.....(still trying to figure that out-at the moment I have to cheat and put the tire on a board first) Yep it is quiet......will silently zip up to 90 mph in about 100 feet........do not mind quiet as long as I do not have a high pitched whine to constantly pester me. I am even learning to use the radio......got a cable and MP3 player........installed a CB this afternoon........Honda wanted 1200 dollars......I did it for 350.00.

Watch those radiator drain plugs!! Need some help? Can come and give some wrong advice and I have some energy conserving brake fluid left!!:rotfl::rotfl:Will most likely meet dave and go for a ride in his area this time......will save the Park Run for when it is a nice day and everyone can go........as that is a pretty nice country ride. Kit

:think: Hey Sleeperhawk,you need to space all that fun out. Reduce your down time,:no-no-no: thats just poor planning man:rotf:

Sounds like you missed the torque spec on the drain plug.:doh:

You are supposed to tighten till JUST before it strips the threads. Sorry to hear about the mishap, let me know if you need a hand getting the scoot back together. I'll see if Kit wants to ride over to rub it in a little and show off the new scoot.

By the way, I have new bars to put on also. But I checked the ten day forecast before I tore the bike down.:moon::moon::crackup:

Guest KitCarson
:think: Hey Sleeperhawk,you need to space all that fun out. Reduce your down time,:no-no-no: thats just poor planning man:rotf:

You are supposed to tighten till JUST before it strips the threads. Sorry to hear about the mishap, let me know if you need a hand getting the scoot back together. I'll see if Kit wants to ride over to rub it in a little and show off the new scoot.

By the way, I have new bars to put on also. But I checked the ten day forecast before I tore the bike down.:moon::moon::crackup:

Yep lets do that this Sunday........go help get the rear put back together and bleed the brakes......just bum around.....going to be warm, but not till about 11 a.m.....going to be like 30 that morning.....okay by me to take it easy........

Hell, I just barely put a wrench to it and the next thing I know the head is laying on the floor. Would have had everything done last weekend but since that happened was taking my time and being sick didnt help neither. Just don't understand why it takes two weeks to get parts for a bike. :confused24:

I live in Lexington, South Carolina. That is about two hours southwest of Greenville, South Carolina. And we have a big house.......you are welcome anytime, do not even have to sleep on the floor!! So no it is not on your route......The little Park that is pretty nice.......has those southern trees with all the moss hanging in them.....was off old highway 321 towards Georgia about another hour and a half from my house. I know I can find it again.....but had the fellow at the dealer program home into the GPS........it talked to me all the way home.....I do not even have to look at it.

Yes the lighting is fantastic.......even the spoiler has an extra brake light. Plus the main headlights use bulbs....not the dim sealed beams and I figured out a way to hook my modulator to both the high and low beams, so If I want I can run the fog lights and low at the same with it.....and the headlights can be adjusted for angle while riding the bike......not happy with the light......or running a back road at night......angle the lights to see the road.......I think they designed it like that for having a heavy or light load on it.....I travel light.......but love being able to adjust them.

The brakes are ABS.......great........all the nonsense you hear about ABS......thats what it is.....nonsense.......the brakes are wonderful.

But above all is the handling for a bike of this size.....it has such a low center of gravity.......and handles so easy......easy to forget you are on a 900 pound monster. Tough to get on that center stand though.......maybe if I put some rocks in my pockets that would help!!

Those of you curious about the foot position.......and are used to the Venture and or a Harley Ultra....it is simply like going back to a 1st Gen.....more of a sport bike type thing......with the flat brake pedal and toe shifter.......yes you have to adjust to the fact you your toe is under the engine a bit to work the controls.......but this is easily learned in about an hour.........and I have last night put floorboards......heel/toe shift and highway pegs . Kit

THANK YOU for the invite Kit,, you just never know, it may very well happen!! I happen to get down that way I will certainly look you up!! Hey, I have been trying to get a small group ride together (Church group) to go down and do the Dragon.. Question has come up about whether or not I am going to coherse the group into riding my style (Cowboyish stuff sleeping in ditches and the like).. There is one husband/wife team (each have there own scoot) and ironically it the lady (her name is Kay) is the one who WANTS to go hardcore biken with the bags and the tents hahahahah.. Anyway,, I will keep you posted and if you (or others on here) happened to be on the same hemisphere I would LOVE to get some seat time in with ya'll!!!

On the footpeg placement.. Something I have noticed MANY times on the newish scoots.. I ride ALOT standing up - when ever we are in parade crawl and people are dragging their feet wearing out brakes and stuff you will see me up on my pegs riding like a trials guy.. Just my style,, standing up gives you super control at a snails pace.. Anyway,, one of the major problems of the newer bikes for people like me is having those pegs forward REALLY messes ya up for standing,, you can do it but its all back and leg and arm muscle work if you do.. As a matter or fact, on my 69 Santee chop I actually did away with my forward controls, put a pair of swinger bars on for a place to put my feet forward but the controls and old triplet boards are back under the rider where they should be,, at least should be for someone who wants to stretch once in a while.. I say all this because I look at th foot placement different then most I guess,, Where you Wings pegs are actually gives you the largest variety of leg movement and on a touring bike (anybike that your going to RIDE really) that is ultra important!!!

'Puc

Guest KitCarson
Hell, I just barely put a wrench to it and the next thing I know the head is laying on the floor. Would have had everything done last weekend but since that happened was taking my time and being sick didnt help neither. Just don't understand why it takes two weeks to get parts for a bike. :confused24:

This is not good news........sounds like the parts falling off syndrome is catching!! It must be a biological affliction that you catch when you park next to a 1st Gen. I am going to go get a radiation treatment for SureFoot, seems one can not be too careful:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:.

Guest KitCarson

Deal's Gap, North Carolina is about a 4 hour run from my house, to the tail of the dragon. It is a nice ride.......so long as you do not try to be a hot dog and just ride it at a nice safe easy pace. Get to wanting to be a teenager again, especially with cold tires.........really not worth it to me.....I have became one to just enjoy the ride......see you all at the finish!!

They do have camp grounds in North Carolina in various places.....with hot showers and the like......a welcome deal. I am not sure where they are, as I am totally spoiled......did enough camping in the military........but might one day try one of those camp grounds......hear they are pretty nice.....I might could go for that. Tail of the Dragon is a pretty.......scenic ride......kinda a short one......the only ones that get into trouble are those wanting to be teenagers again. Kit

Deal's Gap, North Carolina is about a 4 hour run from my house, to the tail of the dragon. It is a nice ride.......so long as you do not try to be a hot dog and just ride it at a nice safe easy pace. Get to wanting to be a teenager again, especially with cold tires.........really not worth it to me.....I have became one to just enjoy the ride......see you all at the finish!!

They do have camp grounds in North Carolina in various places.....with hot showers and the like......a welcome deal. I am not sure where they are, as I am totally spoiled......did enough camping in the military........but might one day try one of those camp grounds......hear they are pretty nice.....I might could go for that. Tail of the Dragon is a pretty.......scenic ride......kinda a short one......the only ones that get into trouble are those wanting to be teenagers again. Kit

If you ever want to meet up at Deals Gap, let me know. I'm about 1 1/2 hrs from there.-Jack

Easiest way I've found to get the 1800 up on centerstand is either a board (as you've discovered) but easier is just crank the pre load up to 25, lifting the bike a bit higher. BTW, did you do a FACTORY cb for $350? I'd sure like to know how.

Guest KitCarson
Easiest way I've found to get the 1800 up on centerstand is either a board (as you've discovered) but easier is just crank the pre load up to 25, lifting the bike a bit higher. BTW, did you do a FACTORY cb for $350? I'd sure like to know how.
The CB came off a 1500 GoldWing....I bought it from M and M Customs(small custom shop about five miles from my house). I gave $250 dollars for it......made a bracket out of heavy sheet metal to fit......bought an antenna and drilled and mounted that......went to radio shack and bought the cables. Then took it by(the next day) to Nortons which is a place that installs radios in cars.....CBs etc....had them balance it to the antenna(I had not a clue how to do that.) I did check on the price online for a OEM CB to fit the Honda......and you can get it and the antenna and cables for a little under $600 dollars.......so even buying new stuff......would be half what the dealer wants. That was my first big challenge with the new bike.......figuring out just how to get to some of the stuff......and had a right turn signal that stopped working......one of the patented push in wire contacts was not making contact......took me an hour to figure out how to take the mirror apart and off.......simply wired around the push in connector...works fine........did not have to mess with the dealer. Someone I saw also had a handlebar mounted CB.....it and antenna and all is like $350 dollars.......but I wanted to be able to use the controls I already had......the bike comes with all the controls and switchs......just not the CB...or antenna.........:crying: Will try the pre-load thing......have not played with that yet....just looked at it and said......hum, nother gadget......I like my seat as low as I can get it.......but will try that next time. Kit